Any tips for using the catapult when pellet wagler fishing

Warden

Site Supporter
Any tips for using the catapult when pellet wagler fishing as my pellets seem to separate and finish up well away from where i am trying to get them,

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You could try a sticky pellet powder but it depends on the size of the pellet. I've found that 4 and 6mm pellet scatter the worse because of the way they leave the pouch. As they leave, they hit each other causing them to spread over a wide area. It could also be a question of the pouch itself being too small, or using a catty for pellet that's meant for maggot/caster.

Last edited:

rufcuk

Site Supporter
The caty itself makes a difference - buy one designed for pellets - there designed to create less spread

Dusty Rhodes

Any tips for using the catapult when pellet wagler fishing as my pellets seem to separate and finish up well away from where i am trying to get them,
Shouldn’t happen really, I use a drennan catty and catapult 3-5 pellets 6mm pellets at a time.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
The catapult itself will make a real difference - I have a number ( different brands) but despite them looking similar / same they are very different. The pult I use for pellet wag is actually a none branded one but feels / works better than the others. Obvious point, but over stretching / a pult that lacks the power will be less consistent than a comfy 'lob' of the bait into the area. Try a few OR change pouch / elastics etc until it gets better. It might be technique also but the pult makes a huge difference

Paul22

Site Supporter
Try using larger pellets rather than small pellets 8mm is a good starting point.
Use a decent catty I use drennan and use the strong elastic red colour.....you won’t need to pull it very hard to fire the pellets out and you will be in more control......
I use the soft mesh pouch....... they have a string toggle for pulling the pouch back I’ve found that it’s best to actually hold the pouch and not the toggle and it does make a lot of difference to the placement of the pellets......
Don’t fire too many out 3 or 4 I find it better to fire twice or more rather than one big pouch full.
Hope this helps

Warden

Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions (y)I use 6 or 8mm pellets to around 30/40 M.and find I have more success with the soft mesh ones but don't seem to be a lot around for the bigger elastics ,probably technique but plenty of advice there to go at cheers.

nejohn

Same as most of the other replys really, a decent catapult (I use an old drennan one), stronger elastic than you would think so you don't have to overstretch it, a good mesh pouch and not to many pellets. However once I get the carp feeding I don't mind spreading the feed over a larger area as it keeps the fish looking for food and I feel I get quicker and more positive bites than if the fish are sat waiting for the pellets to drop on their heads

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I like a catty with a cup rather than a pouch.
Every batch of pellets seem to have a optimal number that can be grouped go over that and they spread every were.
Practice also helps

rudd

Also how you hold catapult.
I fire mine almost upside down, grip handle with bottom three fingers and support arms with thumb and forefinger.
This prevents the catapult arms bending so only the elastic does the work.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Wet them before you fire for a few seconds or to be technically correct put them in the pouch then balance it in a bait bucket half full of water between firings.

marcusp

Worst catapult ive had for it is the guru green one. Spreads pellets every where, the hard plastic pouch splits after one match and the elastic connectors break. Bought three and they all broke after 3 or 4 matches. Stick to drennan