Another Thames session

Silverfisher

I was back on the medley stretch of the Thames making use of the great weather with my grandad today on what could be our last session on the stretch this summer before we move onto our later in the year stretches. It was quite a challenge today as every boat club in oxford seemed to be alfoat so along with tons of pike attacks we had to scratch around a bit which was quite a come down for me after I had over 100 fish in about 10 hours on the Waveney last weekend. I fished and mix of float and feeder to pick up 6 roach, 10 perch (including a couple comfortable 2 pounders), 2 Bream (one decent one pictured) 2 chublets and the inevitable couple dozen bleak whilst grandad scraped together a few perch and bleak. Despite the match results being pretty standard on the stretch this summer we’ve struggled numbers wise ourselves compared to previous summers. I’d say we’ve probably only averaged 30 non bleak fish each a session with the best maybe 40 whereas in previous years we’d average over 40 each with plenty of days over 50. Only Thames stretch I’ve done 50 plus this year was fishing down at chertsey for the first time so not sure why it’s been tougher for us this year. The trade off has been more big fish so swings and roundabouts I guess. All in all it was still a nice day in the sun. I’ll be back on the Thames next weekend just need to decide where!

Attachments

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Some good sport then silverfisher, do you search out deeper/slacker water in the winter months? What's your thinking, what do you have available?

Silverfisher

Thanks yeah not many fish this time but some good fish nonetheless. Yes generally deeper more channelised stretches often near moored boats, locks, inlets and other structures as opposed to the wider more natural open stretches I generally fish in the summer. For example medley, which is very open, slow flowing, fairly shallow and clear, tends to fish well until late September (late October last yeah with the hot summer) before becoming pretty hard. However at the end of it there’s a marina that the river becomes canalised as it passes it so it’s deeper, bit quicker and more coloured. It’s creatively know as “the channel” and fishes ok in the summer but the boats are a pain with it being narrower so it really comes into its own October to Christmas when it’s quieter.