Another identify the fish post

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Any ideas what this is please? Caught in Moby Lake at Holly Farm in Leics.

IMG_20191019_195135.jpg

IMG_20191019_195159.jpg

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
We were told that the lake contained goldfish and koi in the past along with common, mirror and so on so they might have bred with other species in the lake. Its head just looks odd.

WickerDave

How's Holly Farm fishing these days? It's never been on my rota of local waters, I fish Peatling Pools and Mill Farm nearby.

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
@WickerDave I went to Moby Lake with my two young kids because it is deserted and we are beginners. The fish put up a bit of a fight there for the kids and there are loads and loads of them. It doesn't seem hard to pull them out at all so for us it was great fun. They have clickers so there is no landing inflation and between them they caught over 30 in an afternoon.
Trotters and gills however have been taken over by someone new who has done lots or restocking and up keep. It's been highly recommended to us by several anglers as a good lake with nice fish of different sizes that is fishing well.

WickerDave

Thanks @Iluvlesta, that sounds perfect for the youngsters.

I've put a few rolling reports up for south Leicestershire waters if you haven't already seen them. Peatling would also be good for youngsters (already probably more expensive than Holly Farm). If you are south of the city then Dunton Bassett Pit is well worth the £30 yearly fee just for short session winter fishing.

Peatling Pools, Peatling Parva, Leicestershire

Dunton Bassett Pit, Leicestershire

Mill Farm, Gilmorton, Leicestershire

Watery Gate, Thurlaston, Leicestershire

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
Thanks for this @WickerDave . We'll give them a go.
The other place that has been mentioned to us is holme farm in Lubbenham, worth a visit?

WickerDave

@Iluvlesta, I've heard good things about Holmes Farm, Lubenham (note the correct spelling), but not actually fished it as it is a bit further away. If you search this site there are a few old threads on it.

rudd

Its a something fish.
Also known as a funknows.
Many places have them, no one knows what they are or how they got there.