Another court injunction

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Royal Mail has today ( Wednesday 13th) won a court injunction to prevent posties from going on strike in the run up to Christmas, and (unknown when the ballot took place) in the run up to the geneal election.
Royal Mail claim that the vote was rigged and members were "coerced" into voting "YES"
The CWU od course say this is load of spherical objects and it was free vote, although on various forums there are stories of posties revealing which way they voted in what was supposed to be a "secret" ballot, and telling other members how to vote.
I think this has more to do with the likelihood of polling cards and elelction material gettting delivered than what actually happened at the voting stage, although even as an ex postie I have to say that a 97% turnout, with 75% voting in favour of strike action is way above the normal turnout and expected result.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I don`t know anything about the PO dispute but I feel it is wrong for a court to overturn what seems like a legitimate strike ballot.

The people.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Funny this should come up, i was having a look at the final tally on our local Mp (Lefroy) and his voting record,,,,

He's one of those who looks after his own and goes against the people as much as possible.

One of his and all the other neighbouring tory MPs consistent votes has been to restrict the unions, others include increasing the restrictions of benefits using the bedroom tax and voting against higher taxes for those earning over £150'000 and taxing Bankers bonuses.

He has actually said in public that unions are nothing but trouble used to blackmail the public into doing their bidding and they should be banned... i'm looking forward to the day they try to ban the unions!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I find it out of order that unions hold strike ballots to coincide with holidays or other significant time points to gain maximum leverage... it hurts the public more than the company involved and quite frankly is taking the ssip... bit like Air Traffic Controllers striking July August... posties at christmas underground train drivers at new year

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Unions have a bad press because they tend to attract lefties who do not understand business and have an agenda attitude. Whilst I think
Britain would be a poorer place without unions a company is there to make a profit.

As I said I know little of the PO dispute but if the workforce think a strike will help them safeguard their jobs and futures along with their
pensions and they have balloted according to the rules a court has no business to interfere.

Total

Site Supporter
@Pompous git .....Good evening PG, A chance conversation with our postie this morning;

" The post office have brought in a new governor, a German gentleman on £6million/ annum.....He wants to sack 20,000 posties etc.... Results of ballot were expected at 2.30 pm today"......I appreciate the difficult choices our Postie has to make......And just before Christmas....The courts have no business to interfere.(y)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I find it out of order that unions hold strike ballots to coincide with holidays or other significant time points to gain maximum leverage... it hurts the public more than the company involved and quite frankly is taking the ssip... bit like Air Traffic Controllers striking July August... posties at christmas underground train drivers at new year
Harold, I take your point but PO workers are not exactly the hotbed of militantcy, I get the impression they have been pushed. I remember a
rail union leader saying his job is to better the wages and conditions of his members not please the public, quite so. ASLEF had a bad reputation
in years gone by but I can tell you first hand it was generally undeserved. Employers often have a lot to answer for, some of the corporate
greed is mind boggling.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
All the Post Office strike will do is drive more people and more companies to use couriers like Hermes where you can send a small parcel cheaper than Royal Mail.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, I can`t be arsed to go into the PO dispute but I get the impression they are not striking for the fun of it.

160642, valid point but do you think the PO workers should just sit back?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Fair point PG... as an ex union head (sogat) I abhor the attitudes of employers... but... to target strikes so it screws the public at the same time as the employer, smacks of blackmail and being honest if you had a trip of a lifetime planned and it got screwed by a striking service, your sympathy towards the striking employees is going right out of the window.... and the same applies to the PO screwing folks christmas's... what sort of sympathy or public view is this strike going to garner...? To my mind its counter productive

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Yes blackmail and counter productive, have to think though there is much behind this dispute to warrant such on the face of it a
very mean spirited course of action.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Pompous git .....Good evening PG, A chance conversation with our postie this morning;

" The post office have brought in a new governor, a German gentleman on £6million/ annum.....He wants to sack 20,000 posties etc.... Results of ballot were expected at 2.30 pm today"......I appreciate the difficult choices our Postie has to make......And just before Christmas....The courts have no business to interfere.(y)

...says it all really

The first rule of consultancy - save the company what you are charging, everything else then is profit.
If they wanted to save money, pay the new governer a reasonable wage, not something that would make a fat cat blush

Blanks

Site Supporter
Private company of which the govt own 30% shares so economic rules apply as any other private company I assume. If it's not making money for the shareholders changes need to be made. I've seen documentries about the PO, total shambles with the tail wagging the dog if they are anything to go by.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Watcha Total, I can`t be arsed to go into the PO dispute but I get the impression they are not striking for the fun of it.

160642, valid point but do you think the PO workers should just sit back?
To be fair PG I don't know enough about the terms and conditions the PO workers have been offered to comment on whether or not they should sit back,what I do know is that if I was one of the 25% that voted against a strike and I was losing money leading up to Christmas I'd be a bit pi**ed off.As for the £6 million salary for the head of the PO,I would imagine that is a very,very small part of the overall cost of running the company and just think how much the Inland Revenue will get from it.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
The threat of strikes has come about due to Royal Mail not honouring a previous agreement over pension rights, reducing the working week from 39 hrs to 35, and an increase in pay.
Royal Mail have said that reducing the working week and paying the same rate is effectively an increase in pay, pension rights are a different ballgame, from what I understand Royal Mail want to reduce the number of years a postie can pay into a pension, which means that some posties who have already paid in more than the maximum nuumber of years, will lose money, thousands in fact, what it boils down to is that even if you have paid in for say 40yrs, only 25 yrs will qualify, well thats how it was explained me.
Having been a postie for a number of years I can believe that Royal Mail have gone back on a deal, when I left in 2017, we were still arguing over the agreement from 2010, since then there have been five more agreements, and Royal Mail refuse to abide by any of them.
What a lot of it boils down to is new posties being taken on part time basis, say 20hrs a week, which in Royal Mails eyes is five days at 4 hours, they maintain that 4hrs is long enough to do a delivery, In theory these part time posties should walk into the delivery office, pick up their mail and go out on delivery, having had full time employees sort it and bag it for them.
In reality what happens is that full timers do not have enough time to do this, so the part timers end up having to work hours they are not contracted to do, and in alot of cases are bullied and harrassed into doing it, a lot of these part time posties are trying to work around school hours supplementing an income, so cannot be late picking kids up, if they are they incurr extra childcare costs, plus you do not get overtime rates until you have worked over 39hrs.