Angling Weeklies and Website Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posblue

Credit to Anglers Mail for the free day's licence this week, certainly helps encourage newcomers to try the sport. Also helps get the youngsters away from the xbox this school holiday. 1.80 for a read and free 3.75 licence is great value.

rooster

It'd be refreshing, and interesting to see the 'superstars' hints and tips/articles but not being allowed to push their sponsors brand names, and more to the point would they be willing to contribute such an article out of the goodness of their heart?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The thing about being sponsored is that you are paid to promote your sponsor's brand. You would not be doing your job if you failed to do this and wouldn't have the income for long. Take The Masters golf over the weekend. The caddies know exactly where the cameras are and place their bags with sponsor's name prominent in a position where the camera cannot fail to show it. Whenever do you see a speedway rider interviewed without his sponsor's cap on?

You have to accept that once the money has been taken the sportsman must use every opportunity to do what they are paid for.

Last edited:

MarkW

I think a lot of people forget that the 'press' (regardless of angling related or not) is an insatiable monster that needs constant feeding. Without a continuous feed of new material and news it must surely die. It is ever voracious and that means that there is always an opportunity to contribute.

Therefore the open stance by Tony Grig. is to be welcomed; what better way to get involved? I haven't done a feature with Tony and his team as such though did something similar with IYCF a while back, and I can honestly say it's good fun if somewhat challenging to come up with the goods! For myself I have had three articles (I come up with an idea and send it in) in AT in the last few months and hope to do more. I've had articles in other magazines (CAT, CF, AM, Waterlog, Classic Angling, IYCF) over the years, aren't sponsored by anyone, and long realised that if you are doing a 'technical' (details about a method) article then saying what you actually use is vital even if it involves brand names. I buy my own gear so choose it according to whether it will do the job but it has to be said that the modern angler is spoilt for choice and there are few truly bad products though from time to time a poor bait or bit of gear gets through.

Don't be shy, have a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.