Angling Weeklies and Website Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Splashed out 1.80 of my hard-earned yesterday for A.M.
Only to find that more than half of the content consisted of advertising by just two companies. Not good value for money.
A.M. also seems to have a disparaging attitude about website forums. I've seen sniping by one of the contributors in particular, and this was reflected in the editorial a couple of weeks ago.

On the other hand, A.T. appears to embrace the idea that both angling media have something to offer, and does not regard website forums as a threat.

Anybody else noticed this?

breambreambream

They are all the same .. all should be free to Anglers and let the sponsors pay to keep the exposure for their product. I stopped paying for the mags (all of them) because there was 50% advertising, 40% utter drivel, 5% on species I could not care about or fishing in Thailand, Spain or the moon for a fish that bears absolutely no relevance to 99.99% of all UK anglers. Therefore only 5% left of any substance including match results so as you can see where is and is not recently fishing OK.
They put these stupid "Where to Fish This Weekend" sections and show pictures with bags of fish in the middle of July publication and the photo has no leaves on the trees ?? so either they are fishing in Cherynobyl or they have the picture and dates mixed and therefore the editor should be drawn and quartered.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by breambreambream

... They put these stupid "Where to Fish This Weekend" sections and show pictures with bags of fish in the middle of July publication and the photo has no leaves on the trees ??
PMSL !

And conversely, in the "Your fish of the week" section, or whatever you call it, there are photos of guys in T-shirts and shorts, and the trees in full leaf. In January.
[:D]

fishing jazzman

I think that both AT and AM are no longer worth the money - both are a very boring read. Very rarely is there anything of any real interest. Too much advertising for the likes of Dragon Carp, which is stuff I would not touch with a 50ft barge pole.

I have leant more from the fishing forums than what I have ever learnt from any angling paper/magazine. On forums you have your questions and advice posted and replied to within a few minutes - papers and magazines can't do that.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by fishing jazzman
Too much advertising for the likes of Dragon Carp, which is stuff I would not touch with a 50ft barge pole.
If you are looking for a NEW, improved 50ft barge pole, DC are advertising one in this week's A.M. 3.99, normal retail price 99.99.
[:p][;)]

geofflukins

1.80 for a newspaper full of adverts and not much else. Can't really see it lasting much longer. Looks like another batch for the Jobcentre.

Nanook

I'll not be buying anglers mail again.
Sick of all the bloody adverts.
IYCF is great though....

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by banksy

On the other hand, A.T. appears to embrace the idea that both angling media have something to offer, and does not regard website forums as a threat.

Anybody else noticed this?
Spot on Banksy,
Tony Grigs has picked up the baton and run with it, resulting in some decent features with various members in AT.[:T]

srbcf

think most of the angling mags-papers are the same tbh. i stopped my subscription to IYCF simply because the sheer number of adds in there compaired to actual articles and found alot of what was printed started to repeat itself.

i do occasioanally pick up either a copy of A.T or A.M simply for something to read on nights other than that i wouldnt buy it on a weekly basis[:(]

Tony_grig

A publication without adverts goes bump - fact. We, like every title in the world almost needs advertisers to survive.
We're trying our upmost to include as much varied content as possible and it seems some people only have the time to criticise us and never offer up anything constructive.
I've had some great ideas from guys on here rgearding features and we've acted upon them and made a lot of them into real features that thousands have read.
Yet it's the same proactive bunch that are coming forward with ideas while the keyboard warriors sit behind the curtain of their screen wheeling out the same old nonsense time and time again!
Rant over!
Tony

nytram

Has anyone tried the Angling Star ? Ive found it the best by far !

Blate86y Hell I've become a poet

mouse77

The biggest problem with forems is sorting out the good advice from the bad!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Tony_grig

A publication without adverts goes bump - fact. We, like every title in the world almost needs advertisers to survive.
Not disagreeing with you Tony - I know naff all about the ins & outs of the publishing industry but how does the Angling Star manage to survive?

I just bought the April issue - two quid for 32 pages and there's a grand total of 5 pages of adverts - 2 full page ads for Dragon Carp, a full page for Tackle 2 Fish, another full page for daysoutuk.com and a page of classified ads (all fisheries) and that's it. Works out at 15% of the paper devoted to adverts.

The other thing that's noticeable about the Star is the amount of actual writing they manage to cram in - there's only two full page photos (to my mind an article that's heavy on the photos is usually low on the content) and they still use a small type-face - and it's black on a white background so is actually legible[:p]

Plus the writers are not so obviously sponsored so don't just recommend their employers products but tell you what the best tool or bait for the job actually is. Best thing about it though is that it's Yorkshire based so avoids the midlands/south bias of the rest of the angling press - there are anglers north of Leeds you know[:p]

I just totted up the adverts in a March edition of AM and that works at about 20 pages out of 80 (plus a couple of thinly disguised 'advertorials')so that's 25%+ and although I don't have an AT at hand I'd be very suprised if they came in at under 30%.

So what's the secret behind the lack of adverts in the Angling Star?

Simon

Last edited:

jcbenson

Account Locked
I subscribe to quite a few different outdoor/hobby type magazines. None of them have anywhere near the same amount of adverts as angling weeklies or mags. They will have a similar circulation, so it can be done...

krats

I also became brassed off with AT.and AM. 3.60 each week so in december 2011 tried POLEFISHING mag. still buying it 3.50 per. month and won 50 of bait last month for an idea I submitted, but must admit it is not much interest to the bivvy boys.[:T]

Tony_grig

Simon there are a variety of factors that make us and the Angling Star different.
First thing is circulation - we have to get our copies distributed around the whole of the UK while they are localised so minimal costs on that front.
I haven't read the Star for a long time but I'd have thought the quality of printing would be less than that of the AT or AM.
Our staffing levels also have to be higher as we have to plough out copy 7 days a week - news and features Mon to Fri and the match shift carries on right through until around 9pm on a Sunday evening.
We've seen mags fall by the wayside before and I'm sure a lack of funding probably led to that.
The accusation of not going above Leeds annoys me a little, especially as I've been above Leeds on god knows how many occasions.
Angel of the North, the Swale at Northallerton, Thirsk and Ripon to name a few and that's just me, not all my colleagues.
Also the sponsored anglers argument doesn't stand. Of course we use the stars of the sport as they have a lot to divulge but I use this forum and others that are similar to find anglers with good skills and tips and no hidden agenda.
Give me a good feature anyway in the country and I'll be interested.
I'm sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant and I do appreciate your comments as they were constructive but I do feel we get a rough ride at times - as the forum post originally said, you don't see the AM or DHP titles using forums like this to give the 'average' angler i.e. has a job or other committments and doesn't have endless hours to practice - the opportunity to get in the publication with ease.
Tony

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I totally agree with Tony re his post above

They'll always be a market for angling papers despite the growth in the internet as many anglers still have not got to grips with the internet despite it being available to everyone assuming they have access.
However for angling papers to survive year on year, apart from requiring the funding that advertising brings in and being able to balance the books, they also need content and someone somewhere must be buying the AT as it is still very much in demand.

I for one have been more that happy with the way Tony, Richard and Jo have worked with MD's to give the members the ability to literally shape the AT with their ideas and likewise there has been a benefit for MD's by way of promoting the forums and the community to their readership.

It's not often you see a 'rival' publication (in the loose sense of the word [:)]) cross the divide and get involved to this degree and I doubt many other publications would even consider it; take the recent threads re another magazine's editorial slating angling forum users for example.

The way to survive these days is to evolve and to realise that it is the customer that shapes the way forward because without them there is no future, and I've often said that if you want to keep ahead these days you need to be able to keep the customers coming - a bit like feeding a swim and keeping the fish interested [8D]

It'd be interesting to run a survey both online and in print and to compare the different view points between those that use forums and those that buy the AT, those who use the internet and those that don't. Perhaps between us we could get that survey off the ground, however with anglers in general being a tight bunch ([:X]) the AT had best hurry up before the cost of stamps goes up [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.