Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Press release
Angling Website Owner Caught Fishing Without a Rod Licence

Published 21 May 2019

placeholder

An Angling Website Owner could have been successfully prosecuted by the Environment Agency if he had been found fishing without a licence this weekend.

Dave (aka Red Leader) owner of the Maggotdrowning.com would have been found in breach of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act (1975) on 24 May 2019 at Alders Farm Fishery, nr Milton Keynes. had he not remembered at the last minute to renew his rod licence. Simply forgetting to renew it is not an excuse.

The Enforcement Team Leader for the Environment Agency in Buckinghamshire, said:
"The case shows how easily these offences can happen and acts as a reminder to anglers of the importance of having a rod licence. We hope it will provide a reminder to any angler who's licence has expired to re-new it before they go fishing.

All of the money raised from rod licence sales is used to protect and improve fish stocks and fisheries, benefitting anglers and, for those caught cheating the system, we will always prosecute."
Every year across the country, thousands of anglers are prosecuted for not having a fishing licence. As well as cheating other anglers, fishing illegally can carry a hefty penalty. Getting caught without a licence could land a fine of up to £2,500.
All income from rod licence sales is used to fund Environment Agency work to protect and improve fish stocks and fisheries, including improving habitats for fish and facilities for anglers, tackling illegal fishing and working with partners to encourage people to give fishing a go.
Any angler aged 13 or over, fishing on a river, canal or still water needs a licence. A 1-day licence costs from just £6 and an annual licence costs from just £30 (concessions available). They are free for those aged 13 to 16. Licences are available online or by calling the Environment Agency on 0344 800 5386 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The Environment Agency carries out enforcement work all year round and is supported by partners including the police and the Angling Trust. Fisheries enforcement work is intelligence-led, targeting known hot-spots and where illegal fishing is reported.

Anyone with information about illegal fishing activities can contact the Environment Agency Incident Hotline 24/7 on 0800 80 70 60 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

:D

Scribe

Site Supporter
Just imagine the slating that would have ensued, it would have gone on for years and years.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'd have had to sell my tackle and take up Golf lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
He'll be forgetting to renew his telly licence next. Silly boy, didn't he read the email reminder? :LOL:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hopefully I'll never need to do that lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can just imagine it, sat on his box trying to make a cast with a golf club into a sand pit. :ROFLMAO:

slaner

Site Supporter
community pay back at alders, free beer for everyone

davered5

Site Supporter
Press release
Angling Website Owner Caught Fishing Without a Rod Licence

Published 21 May 2019

placeholder

An Angling Website Owner could have been successfully prosecuted by the Environment Agency if he had been found fishing without a licence this weekend.

Dave (aka Red Leader) owner of the Maggotdrowning.com would have been found in breach of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act (1975) on 24 May 2019 at Alders Farm Fishery, nr Milton Keynes. had he not remembered at the last minute to renew his rod licence. Simply forgetting to renew it is not an excuse.

The Enforcement Team Leader for the Environment Agency in Buckinghamshire, said:

Every year across the country, thousands of anglers are prosecuted for not having a fishing licence. As well as cheating other anglers, fishing illegally can carry a hefty penalty. Getting caught without a licence could land a fine of up to £2,500.
All income from rod licence sales is used to fund Environment Agency work to protect and improve fish stocks and fisheries, including improving habitats for fish and facilities for anglers, tackling illegal fishing and working with partners to encourage people to give fishing a go.
Any angler aged 13 or over, fishing on a river, canal or still water needs a licence. A 1-day licence costs from just £6 and an annual licence costs from just £30 (concessions available). They are free for those aged 13 to 16. Licences are available online or by calling the Environment Agency on 0344 800 5386 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The Environment Agency carries out enforcement work all year round and is supported by partners including the police and the Angling Trust. Fisheries enforcement work is intelligence-led, targeting known hot-spots and where illegal fishing is reported.

Anyone with information about illegal fishing activities can contact the Environment Agency Incident Hotline 24/7 on 0800 80 70 60 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

:D
Got mine today

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
How many times have I recommended direct debit on this site @Dave ?

No need to get out of the recliner to renew.

You know it makes sense.

Paul22

It nearly happened to me about 15 years ago
I forgot to renew my license and had a match on the 1st of April...... anyway the EA turned up and caught me it was a genuine mistake and I had about 25 old licenses in my box which I showed him......... he told me to pack up and go but didn’t take it any further.
Interesting though he said the previous licenses meant nothing and it was the fact that it was the 1st day of the new license that he let me go so to speak.
Back then if I remember correctly they always run out in March and renewed in April ....... I like the fact that it doesn’t matter when you buy one now it still lasts 12 months 👍
So I fully understand red leaders mistake and all I have to say is
“Phew “ 😂

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
should have hung the scrote by his legs...... he might have been able to reach the second shelf then!!

John Step

Site Supporter
This brought to my mind the hassle with licences before the National one. We used to fish matches all over the place. You had to source one for the forthcoming match. I seem to remember they were one week or day licences?

Anglian, Southern, another for the GT Ouse if memory is correct and so on. I cannot remember when one came in for the Thames and Lea which I think were another one?