Angling and conservation groups call for hosepipe bans to prevent environmental damage

• Thread starter The Angling Trust | NEWS
  • Start date
T

The Angling Trust | NEWS

The Angling Trust and river conservation groups are calling for UK water companies to stop gambling with the environment and introduce hosepipe bans right now in light of the prolonged hot, dry weather. The call follows the announcement from Affinity Water – a company with no surface storage that relies exclusively on abstraction from chalk streams – during which they claimed that no water restrictions are expected this year. Other companies are also reluctant to take meaningful action.

Continue reading...

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
If the water company's fixed some of the leak, that would help.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hmmm..this bit got me..

"...during which they claimed that no water restrictions are expected this year"

if that's correct, then why a hosepipe ban?.

Steve M

Site Supporter
My water is supplied by Affinity Water. Two years ago they fitted a water meter to our house but I preferred to remain on the old payment system for as long as possible.
The day it was fitted I could see it was leaking but was told by the fitter that it would be fine but I wasn't there when the hole was backfilled & resurfaced.
Some months later an Affinity engineer called querying our water usage -which he subsequently found to be a leak to the tune of 10,000ltrs a day !! Luckily we live on chalk sub soil on a hill.
I queried that I had pointed out the leak the day the meter was fitted. I also asked if it would be fixed in the next day or so but was told it wasnt classed as an emergency.
It was eventually fixed approx 6 months later !! What a waste.
I also read last week that United Utilities which provide water in NW England were losing 18,300,000 litres of water per hour last year. They are introducing a hose pipe ban from early August.
Why aren't more surface storage facilities being built ?
Why are the water companies allowed to get away with not fixing the leaks?

bagger7

tomo
Site Supporter
too busy filling thier shareholders pockets to build reserves.

jon.

Paul.P

This is the backlash of privatising the water companies, more interested in shareholders & big bonuses than what's actually happening with our water.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
and yet Micheal Gove and the government are talking now about letting farmers pump water from rivers right now during a period of drought to water farmland

Simon R

Site Supporter
Why aren't more surface storage facilities being built ?
Why are the water companies allowed to get away with not fixing the leaks?
Where do you suggest they build them?
At a very conservative estimate from drawing board to completion a reservoir will take about 10 years to come on stream. Kielder Water for instance saw permission granted in 1974 and it had filled with water by the end of 1982 and was first used (to augment the flow in the Tyne) the year after. It was actually built to supply industry throughout the north-east - hence the transfer main which can add compensation water to the Wear and Tees prior to their abstraction points - unfortunately by the time it actually came on stream much of that industry had disappeared. For years it was derided as a waste of money and a white elephant - not anymore - there'll never be hosepipe bans in the north-east:D

And water companies DO fix leaks - constantly - and renew thousands of miles of pipework every year.
They're given targets by OFWAT on a yearly basis to fix x amounts of leaks a year - if they miss those targets then they'll be prevented from raising water bills, hence hitting profits and causing shareholders to receive lower dividends.
The leaks they don't fix are those deemed uneconomic to do so - ie the cost of the lost water is less than the cost of digging up the road and repairing the leak - usually 'cos the leak is somewhere inaccessible.

Simon

CarpCatcher86

The hose pipe ban, set to start on the 5th has now been withdrawn. according to UU reservoir levels are still lower than they would like so we all still need to do what we can to conserve water. I was talking to a guy the other week who told me while it's been hot, he has spent about 45 minutes a day hosing down his garden. how can that be helping? if everyone did that we really would be screwed.