Aird, Kilmaluag

The Runner

Site Supporter
Had my first trip this year up to one of my favourite spots today to the Aird at Kilmaluag, lovely day initially but turned to drizzle and squally showers in the afternoon with the wind getting up and building the swell.
Went to my preferred North side at Rubh'an t-Sailleir intending to fish beachcaster on heavy gear whenever the tide run allowed (never mind dead cow leads, when its running hard here you would probably struggle to hold bottom with the weight of a real dead cow...) and lure fish down the side between times.
Looking back from start of the walk in

IMG_1555.JPG

Walk of about a mile, initially on sheep tracks but gradually getting rougher. Thankfully not as boggy as it used to be as the common grazings people have dug or cleared a number of new drainage dykes, although getting across them when they're full could be interesting. Got there about two hours before low tide, ebb still running a bit so started on a paddletail, one pollack after 20 minutes but a couple of hookpulls and a few short takes suggested they weren't really having it. After an hour flow stopped so out with mackerel strip on a 3/0, serious depth here, 5oz lead taking 28 seconds to hit bottom at low tide

IMG_1557.JPG

Managed two hours on this before the tiderip started, two bites, one pollack and a small coalie and only lost one lead to the snags (mixed ground past 50 yards but horrendously snaggy closer in) Rip was right in the side to start with and had two pollack in quick succession on the paddletail . Went quiet as the race moved further out as the tide rose , and the swell started getting quite lumpy with an increasing wind behind it, put a heavier sandeel lure on for extra distance and one more pollack. As the main tiderace moved out to about 60 yards, decided to spend the last hour back on the bottom, one more bite which I missed and called it a day so could walk back in a gap in the weather that I could see approaching.
Five pollack and a coalie so not too bad a day but no sign of the bigger pollack that can show here. All were about the size of these...Normally they all go back but the last one I had (second pic) took a bit of a battering when the swell took it over a ledge as I was about to land it. Very deep hooked as well. so it will be on my dinner table tomorrow

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Lovely pollock again. Hoping to get to the coast the week after next and if it’s not too busy I’ll be doing some shore based pollocking myself :)

The Runner

Site Supporter
Savage Gear Roach Paddletails are your friend. Must have had more on them than on every other lure put together since I moved here

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s interesting, fascinating marks you have there with the depths. The pollock I catch are much smaller at only around a pound or so as they come from relatively shallow marks within the Pompey harbour systems. Most come to mackerel strips or rag worm under a float but get a few on jelly worm type lures on jig heads as well. Generally get wrasse and pout amongst the pollock as well. If I get down there I’ll have a boat trip as well but not sure what for yet as August is a bit of a lull month. The best of the fishing is May through July then September through October. Missed that first period this year due to the current predicament but hopefully can make up for it now.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
A great yarn and some great pics. The scenery and tranquillity must be stunning up in your neck of the woods. The picture of where you are fishing from on the rocks freaks me out a bit. One slip and it could be goodnight Vienna. Take care....

The Runner

Site Supporter
A great yarn and some great pics. The scenery and tranquillity must be stunning up in your neck of the woods. The picture of where you are fishing from on the rocks freaks me out a bit. One slip and it could be goodnight Vienna. Take care....
Thanks, yes, a great place to be.
I always wear a lifejacket when fishing marks like that and have a rope with me as well (although like yesterday not always anywhere to attach it).
For fans of the hair-raising, the long headland in the background is Rubha Hunish, on the far side of which there are half a dozen places where you can get down to water level (and where I had far and away my PB pollack, although it fished poorly last year). And yes, the path down to the headland goes down that 250 ft cliff to the left....To be fair, its nowhere near as dodgy as it looks from a distance, or from the top, but still not recommended to those without a head for heights.

Reactions: drw