Aerator causing tow on lake, pole float advise please

Got to my local commi yesterday, (fairly small lake, island in the middle just off centre) the aerator was on meaning the water had a bit of a tow on just going round and round.

Water is 6.5 deep I went up to a 1g rugby style float, and increased my depth and back shot. Fishing 8m

Non of this worked, the presentation was pants. Float looked like I was trying to trot it through the swim.
Used a method rod in the end.

Can anyone offer some advise for float fishing in this situation

Cheers Doz

Total

Site Supporter
Tow on any water, whether natural or as you experienced above from a mechanical source can be a problem. The strength of tow and flow will be different at different depth, (less towards the bottom, but even that can vary)

Try to imagine where the fish would feel comfortable in your swim (Varies with different species of fish) and concentrate your efforts there.

Best advice I can give you on the pole is to always have a few heavier rigs with you to combat the problem. As to what size, depends on the tow. Lay line and shots on the bottom to work with the tow to your advantage and most importantly, how the fish want the presentation on any given day. Think about where your feed is congregating, etc etc.

The same can be applied to rod and line.

It really does pay to experiment. (y)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Surely if the water is moving quite fast and you want to floatfish, then you should be trotting the swim.

If you want to fish a static bait, then do what you did and leger or feeder.

The alternative is to floatfish with VERY heavy gear so you can just hold the bait steady and just trip it through slowly. And I have a 5gm Avon float rigged up with Swan shot to just that on commercial stillwaters. But if you are not experienced you will waste a lot of time getting that right, so I think you kept it simple and fished correctly. No problem. Well done.

dumdum

Site Supporter
Surely if the water is moving quite fast and you want to floatfish, then you should be trotting the swim.

If you want to fish a static bait, then do what you did and leger or feeder.

The alternative is to floatfish with VERY heavy gear so you can just hold the bait steady and just trip it through slowly. And I have a 5gm Avon float rigged up with Swan shot to just that on commercial stillwaters. But if you are not experienced you will waste a lot of time getting that right, so I think you kept it simple and fished correctly. No problem. Well done.
The issue with ‘trotting’ in a lake with aerators is you simply don’t know the lower layers are moving, so you may need a static presentation to get bites 👍🏼

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The bottom layers could be towing against the surface, finding where your feed is ending up is they key.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
As per the last two answers its difficult to judge if the flow is just surface tow or even reverse flow near the bottom caused by the flow hitting the bank and having nowhere to go other than back beneath the surface flow.
One way around it would be to use heavier shotting to hold the hookbait still, how heavy you go is dependant on the flow.
Another way is to use a small flat float or lollipop which will defeat the flow with half the weight so if a 4g conventional float is needed for normal presentation then a 2g flattie will cope just as well.
There is lots of reading out there on this type of float but its fairly basic with a bulk and a few droppers below, I recently used a 15g flat float on a deep fast river that you would not try to fish with a conventional rig but the flat lets you hold your rig still or inch it through at whatever pace you like.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
First off don’t think you always have to use a heavy float, you can ease the float through the swim. To do this you need the shot in the last 1/3 of the rig. What you’re looking to do is pick up the tow in that last bit of depth.
Unfortunately, olivets, standard round shot,and stotz don’t do this as the water can flow round these easily. Styles on the other hand present a marginally larger drag area to a flow.
This should at least present a bait to a fish you will soon find where your feed is as you should start getting bites.
If it is moving like a train go on the method and hope

BoldBear

I agree with Nobby.

Unless it’s a very tiny water there will nearly always be an undertow moving in the opposite direction and to fish it properly you need to move your bulk shop down into this undertow, and use a float with a long thin stem to reduce the effect of the surface tow at the top; and also If your float has a body it should be near the bottom of the float. Ideally you should also sink the line above the float; Then you can hold still with just a normal sized float (see fig below).

I realise you are using a pole but the theory should still be valid.

Keith

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
If that lake is a doughnut shape then it's possible the water in the lake is rotating rather than the undertow going the other way. (That's how I read you question anyway).

Either way, chances are the upper layers are moving a lot more than the lower ones, so it's time to experiment with dragging line and shot (and even bait) along the bottom to find out what works. Regarding pole float (especially on commies) don't be afraid to step things up. 2g sounds like a huge pole float, but is in fact only 5BBs which for waggler fishing is far from excessive - it's not like you're fishing squatts looking for bites on the drop! There's nothing stopping you going even heavier, you never know it might be just what the fish want on the day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lol Fishing Talk 4
H Fishing Talk 17
R Fishing Talk 0
A Fishing Talk 11
T Fishing Talk 1