Advice on a second hand pole

Ash-mac29

I’m looking for some advice on purchasing a second hand pole around the £500 mark, i want to fish out mainly around the 11-12mtr mark but sometimes less to cover the margins. I am looking to catch bream, tench, cruicians and carp upto 15lb.

I already have a beast master margin pole and enjoy it but I want to get out that bit further. I have looked at the possibility of getting an extension for the beast master at 10.5m but i read it gets a bit floppy and to be honest 10.5mtrs is not getting me where I want to be

Would you think it’s possible to find a used 14.5/16m pole 2-3 year old that was once between 1k-1.5k but now going for around £500 ? Do poles depreciate that much over 2-3years and if so what should I look out for to cover my needs ?

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I bought a lightly used Maver Signature 600 for £550 with a few spare 4's, a short 4, 6 topkits and a fighting 4, 5 and 6 plus holdall and cupping kit.
I moved to that from a Shimano Technium which was alright but not in the same league so I'm happy with it.
I think they sold the 600 for about £1400 new so yes it seems like you'll find what you want if you persist, good luck pal👍🏻

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I sold my 401 2g last year. I found it at 13m plus to be heavy and not as stiff as I would of liked. IMO you would be better looking at the 501 2g generally thought to be a quality all round pole for its price. You should be able to pick one up second hand for around £500

Ash-mac29

It’s not essential I fish over 13mtrs so something that performs well at 11-12mtrs should be just fine. I’ll put the 501 on my watch list though just in case thanks

Ash-mac29

Just to mention I’m going to be targeting carp more so with this pole, I’m not interested in fishing for silver fish so would a TKS 500 or Maver 600 signature be suited to commercial carp fishing up to say 15lb?

spark1

If you want a decent pole for around £500 get the maver defintion. Wait for Angling Direct to do 10% off and get either the 13m or 14.5m you won't be disappointed.

Ash-mac29

Thanks but I’m going down the second hand route to hopefully get more for my £££

spark1

I own a signature 600 and 900 and the definition is as good as the 600 up to 13m but a bit stronger just so you know and your be lucky to get a deal on the 600 like matey got. I think he was a mate of the seller that’s why got the deal because generally people split the kits up and sell off separate to earn more. Be surprised if you get what was a £1500 pole for £500 people dont often sell off poles on the cheap 2nd or not but good luck.

Ash-mac29

Looking at the sales history over on eBay the map tks 501 2g has been going for around £500-£600 second hand, a few sold last month. I believe the pole retailed at approx £1400 new. I don’t doubt what you are saying about the definition but going second hand can I get better, hence me being in here trying to get some recommendations so I could start searching

mytopkitisbroken

Site Supporter
I own a signature 600 and 900 and the definition is as good as the 600 up to 13m but a bit stronger just so you know and your be lucky to get a deal on the 600 like matey got. I think he was a mate of the seller that’s why got the deal because generally people split the kits up and sell off separate to earn more. Be surprised if you get what was a £1500 pole for £500 people dont often sell off poles on the cheap 2nd or not but good luck.
I didn't know the seller but I did think it was a great deal and took the plunge.
Nice to know someone else thinks it was a good deal too them.
Just need the Mrs. to come round to seeing it that way 🤣🤣🤣

spark1

I didn't know the seller but I did think it was a great deal and took the plunge.
Nice to know someone else thinks it was a good deal too them.
Just need the Mrs. to come round to seeing it that way 🤣🤣🤣
I was close lol but deals like the one you got are rare and waiting for one is like trying to find a golden nugget in a bag of coal

Danmancity

Drennan Acolyte Carp

Paid 350 for mine with 7 tops and needed one repair. Going for around 500 on eBay

It's amazing up to 13m and still ok at 14.5

Great pole and I personally love the double 2 kits with are in between the normal shallow kits and full length kits, just the right amount of elastic for snake lakes.

Ash-mac29

Anyone got any opinions on the Maver MVR 13/14.5mtr ? Says it’s based on the signature...

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Drennan Combat Carp 14.5m

Had one for 12 months, had Carp to 19lb and many silver fish.

5 top kits and a cupping kit. Great at 11-12 metres. Bit sloppy at 14.5m but still OK. Used mine in the Margins over the last 12 months no problem.

One on e-bay at the moment for £399. Great value for money. Spares are easy to get and not to expensive.

Hope that helps