Advice for pole repair

jimbo24

Site Supporter
Hi guys, well since I decided to come back to fishing after a nine year lay off last night my mate kitted me out with almost everything I will need, I only have to buy feeders, bait boxes etc. The one thing he included was his old Shimano technium 1250 pole, he’s determined to teach me, but it has a hairline crack at the male end (top) of the 6th section.
I have read the posts here on repair and I basically need a number 5 section so I can cut the amount I need off it to sleeve said damaged one,however, after spending a couple of hours last night on google trying to locate a5 section with no luck I wondered if any of you resourceful guys could suggest another option. I thought of making one from wood, shaped to fit and glued in, or even finding a cheap pole at a car boot for instance and using the appropriate section for what I need.
If after lots of practice, and great advice from @neilofthenene on his blog I might be tempted to buy a new one. Eventually.
Thanks for any advice.
Jim

stikflote

Site Supporter
How long is the crack, can you just cut off the piece with the crack ?
if not you can get repaired ,try the Pole Doctor, he does excellent repairs

lp1886

Where are you based Jim? I have an old pole which needs throwing away. I’m sure there would be a section which could be cut up to make a sleeve.

jimbo24

Site Supporter
Where are you based Jim? I have an old pole which needs throwing away. I’m sure there would be a section which could be cut up to make a sleeve.
I’m in Grimsby N E Lincs but I can pay postage if you don’t mind doing that.
Cheers

jimbo24

Site Supporter
How long is the crack, can you just cut off the piece with the crack ?
if not you can get repaired ,try the Pole Doctor, he does excellent repairs
I think it too long to cut off that’s why I was looking at a diy repair. Thanks..

lp1886

I’m in Grimsby N E Lincs but I can pay postage if you don’t mind doing that.
Cheers
If you can tell me what the I/D is of the male end of your 6th section I will take a look tonight.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have used liquid resin and hardener that is used for fibreglass car body repair kit, just use a slim model makers brush for painting it along crack both inside and outside section, it seals the crack.

lp1886

Thanks for you help. It is 34 mm I/D
I’ve got a section which has a male end O/D 32mm. I would think you need to allow for 0.25mm of araldite around the circumference so if I send a 150mm cut off that should be enough to telescope and add some rigidity into the section to stop it flexing and splitting more. You may have to trim down the cut off so that your No.5 section packs away. PM me your address and I’ll pop it in the post tomorrow.

jimbo24

Site Supporter
I’ve got a section which has a male end O/D 32mm. I would think you need to allow for 0.25mm of araldite around the circumference so if I send a 150mm cut off that should be enough to telescope and add some rigidity into the section to stop it flexing and splitting more. You may have to trim down the cut off so that your No.5 section packs away. PM me your address and I’ll pop it in the post tomorrow.
hopefully Ive sent you a PM Thanks

mytopkitisbroken

Top man👍🏻