Adapting slider floats - brass rod and painting

rudd

Afternoon all.
Been doing a bit of slider fishing lately and been doing ok.
Only trouble is my sliders are not loaded and the stems need painting to show lift bites.

They have given me issues fishing into the wind or further out as float slides back up line away from bulk during cast.
Also need painting to spot lift or on the drop bites.

So I would like to convert my floats into loaded by taking out the floats eye stem and inserting a length of brass rod.
I like things to be tidy so wrapping lead wire around float base not an option.

My questions are, what diameter brass rod is needed so it can take a drennan float adaptor?
What length of rod can be inserted into the float before upsetting its balance?
Which glue to hold brass rod in float?
What to use to seal float once rod glued in? Normally use hard as nails - nail varnish to fix other wagglers.
Type / make / colour of paint to use on float to paint rings so I can count float down to spot bites on the drop or to spot lift bites?

SteveAmo

Just get some Drake sliders they are semi loaded and come in all sizes to suit where ever you fish, if you local shop doesnt stock them try somewhere like Benwick Sports website theyve always got plenty in stock.

Saves a boat load of messing about

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I always used to make my own sliders, I would 'load' them, for the reasons you have quoted and also to make sure that the float 'sat up' in the water after casting so that it was easier to sort out as the bait dropped through the water. I scrounged a handful of brazing rods from work, in a variety of sizes to insert into the bodies, most common sizes being (if I remember correctly) 3/32 and 1/8. I would inset a length of rod about 1/2" into the float body, put it into a test bottle and then trim the rod until it cocked the float with a little bit of body showing. Araldite was used to glue the rod into the body. The stem would be painted white and once dry, masking tape was then used to help paint the bands, with a tip colour of your choice. The body was sealed with 'Humbrol Base White' although nowadays I 'size' it with PVA. A coat of 'yacht varnish' finished the job nicely. It is a bit of a rigmarole but I think it is very satisfying to catch using something you have made yourself. Hope this helps [:T]

Last edited:

wildinguk

I'd be tempted to invest in new sliders if you can, the DJK ones are excellent are much cheaper than others. Scotthorne et al use them, that's good enough for me!

grey

Originally posted by SteveAmo

Just get some Drake sliders they are semi loaded and come in all sizes to suit where ever you fish, if you local shop doesnt stock them try somewhere like Benwick Sports website theyve always got plenty in stock.

Saves a boat load of messing about
Drake make the best sliders in my opinion too. The purple ones are partially loaded and already painted to spot lifts.

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
I stated to make my own floats last year, Peacock quill wagglers to start with, to which I intended to load with brass rod, 5 or 6mm, with a 3/32" brass stem fixed into the brass rod to attach into the quill and also to extend 3/4" below the 6mm load to attach quick change float adaptors......unfortunately, my mini lathe has packed in and although I've managed to get hold of a switch it's been too cold for my old bones to get into the workshop.

rockland

you could load them without messing around too much get some lead wire and neatly wind a coil to the specified loading if not much room double it up then smear some Epoxy resin over to secure it simple fix

rudd

Thanks for replies.
Another reason for loading is that I have found the surface tow and wind take hold of the slider and drag it. Some loading will hopefully reduce this.

johng19

me@home.com
Site Supporter
I use to get some thin soldering wire, rap it around the bottom of the stem to the desired weight coat of varnish or paint.

rudd

New floats or covert my own ( 8, two each of 3,4,5,6 ssg maver).
Suppose its a case of cost/time. New floats v conversion costs.

Anyone interesed in a set of maver unloaded sliders? ;)

rudd

Then again, shiney kit syndrome!!!
Unloaded do have their place at short range :)