Acolyte plus from Drennan.

Rick123

I own two of the Acolyte rods, the Ultra and the Plus both at 14' I'd dearly like another at 17' but with over 60 rods still to sell off, it's asking for wife trouble:devilish: If I had to choose the one, the Plus would be my one all round rod, why?

A few days ago I tried a bit of long trotting on my local river. I took the Ultra with me and caught a nice net of mixed silvers. It was not until putting the bits away did I realise I had been using the Plus all the time. I can use 1.7lb bottom on the Plus and land almost any decent fish as long as I take my time. It's just so forgiving, but I can also use 4.4lb reel line and 3lb bottom and catch Chub and small Barbel all day long. It's very light in the hand as is the Ultra, but the Ultra does not have that flexibility of the Plus for using for much smaller fish. Yes, it's a stepped up rod, but only when you need it to be. A cracking piece of kit and if you're after just the one float rod, don't be put off by the potential power. On a river it's so useful for long striking, or just lifting 8oz fish to hand. 5 star from me. The Acolyte Plus amazing bit of kit from Drennan.

Sam Vimes

The reality is that the Acolyte Plus is only a stepped up rod in comparison to an Acolyte Ultra. The Plus is best compared to most manufacturers standard match type float rods. The Plus makes for a better allround rod than the Ultra for those that only want one float rod to do it all.

trotter2

I use the ultra more than the plus just because the majority of fish I catch are under the 1pound mark. They are lovely rods the ultra and the plus.
The plus make a great light chub rod ....

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I love, my acolytes,, I’ve got float and feeder rods,, I’ve got both the plus and ultra in 12ft feeder rods,, and I use the plus version,, more often than not,, when faced with a headwind on a large lake or ressy, and you need to punch a feeder out 50mtrs the plus is brilliant.

limpy

I owned both the plus and Ultra float in 14ft. I found the plus a more of all rounder rod. In the end, i sold both like a fool, i wished i kept the plus.

I'm a Normark lover and still reckon they are the best float rod ever made however when it comes to longer rods ie 15ft the Acolyte 15ft Plus is superb. Don't like the Ultra as its too soft, just my opinion

Trailblazer

For what it's worth I use my acolyte plus rods... 13 and 14ft for a lot of chub and barbel fishing. I've had a lot of fish with them and a fair number of barbel to over 10lb. There have been situations where I have had to hit and hold the fish so giving no line whatsoever and the rods have been tested to the limits.
My all time favourite rods are my normark 13ft MKII rods but if the normarks didn't exist the acolytes would take their place.
Imo the drennan acolyte range of float rods is are the best ever made (except for the normarks :) ) and price wise they're very reasnable.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Im wandering how Rick is still married while admitting to owning 60 rods ? Where have you hidden 60 rods Rick ? Im in awe of you pal. I buy a 15g method feeder and Jennie knows all about it. Ive been known to leave newly purchased fishing equipment in the van until shes gone to bed. 😜😜😜

david white

Site Supporter
Im wandering how Rick is still married while admitting to owning 60 rods ? Where have you hidden 60 rods Rick ? Im in awe of you pal. I buy a 15g method feeder and Jennie knows all about it. Ive been known to leave newly purchased fishing equipment in the van until shes gone to bed. 😜😜😜
You and most anglers if the truth been know ( or should that be admitted !! )

Rick123

Mick.
I've been fishing for many years, some rods are fairly old, like the sea fishing stuff, and some spinning gear. I'd guess around 25 rods are used on a regular basis, I also buy good stuff that keeps it's value. Example I sold a Centre-pin reel for more than I paid for it, I've two rods on E-Bay right now both are mint, and well under what they are worth. Funny you just have to wait for someone that wants the model, and away they go. Sometimes it takes a few days, others weeks, but they always go if they are well priced and in excellent condition. I could easy sell 30 rods and never miss them. I've a pair of Nash Scope 9' 3lb that I never use, but they have fallen in value, so really not worth selling unless someone really wants a good deal. Reels are the same, maybe 40 reels 20 never used, but all quality stuff. Must have a garage sale!!!!!!!!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I need to put a lock on my hobies room. If my misses ever goes in there and sees all the fishing tackle then Im in big trouble. 😆😆😆

Rick123

I think we should start a group called the CFTBG and offer counciling to those like us. Sit around in a room and talk through our addiction?

The "COMPULSIVE FISHING TACKLE BUYERS GROUP" Just £20 from each of you to start and join. (Think how much new gear I can buy. Doh!)

Rick123

I'm coming around to Sam's view (after thinking he was incorrect) it is a match style float rod, and the ultra is not. The thing I think is that the rod is a great all round rod, very fine hook links with care, or 4lb/5lb hook-links bullying fish. I'd love the 17' if, and it's a big if, it had the exact attributes the 14' rod has, bet it doesn't though?

oldmanriver

I use a 13ft Ultra, 14ft Plus and 15ft Ultra. Usual river work the 15ft has a Closed face or Pin on it for stick, bolo etc while the 14ft+ is long distance or heavy Waggler, Loafer w/ heavy bait or Large Slider. 13ft Ultra general working, usually lighter work top / bottom or Waggler closer in.
Never had a problem with any fish on Ultras with balanced tackle; just takes care and time. 14ft Plus you can bully if needed and punch out a heavier load with ease compared to the Ultras. BUT, after using the Plus and going to an Ultra you can feel the difference on your arms with the action as it just takes that little more .

HALTON DANGLER

Site Supporter
the acolytes get asked about a lot on here and opinions can be great but thought i would share these two very different videos showing what the plus can do, great for fishing light for dace and can also handle the chub, thought would help if people lookking make choice can see first hand what they can do

Tincablanker

I have my Matchpros (standard and Ultralight) and absolutely love them. I got the 11ft Acolyte Carp Float and have since reverted back to my old series 7 Carp Float. I just can't take to it and it has put me off the rest of the Acolyte range. I feel like I am missing out because everyone else seems to rave about the Acolytes but I guess tackle tackle choice is a personal thing.

Trailblazer

I had an 11ft acolyte carp waggler and used it for trotting, it was excellent. I swapped it with someone for a 13ft plus rod and then bought a 12ft carp waggler which is also excellent. Eventually i'll get round to replacing my 11 footer as I very much liked it!
Those acolyte rods really are superb, I really don't know how/what anyone could dislike about the acolyte rods from drennan?

Silverfisher

I really like the 13ft ultra I have. Picks up the line so quickly so is great for hitting bites and controlling a trot. It’s so light that you can really feel any fish you have on, not had a big fish on it yet but then that’s not what it’s for but from the reports it will be ok if I’m careful.