A thread posting phenomenom

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
just lately especially during the early evening, Ive noticed something on the numbers that state "read" on various threads

the thread starts of normally with just 1 then as a few reply the total increases

then there seems to be either a hell of a lot of members decide to read that thread in a very very short time or something like a block reading takes place

whats that all about ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No idea. I pay little attention to the thread views as sometimes seems to be out of wack.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The counts are not real time, they are aggregated at set periods to reduce server load.

So, for instance, someone posts a new topic, several people (guests and members) read it, the software will when scheduled do a count up in the database of the number of views and post it alongside the thread.

When someone replies the Reply count is in real time.

What you also find is the number of views increases exponentially as the number of replies increase. A popular thread will always attract more viewers

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
I did wonder as a couple of times I noticed the count read in single numbers then 5 seconds later it read in the hundred

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To give you an idea on the traffic the servers currently handle, here are two screen shots of the bandwidth used in past 24hours and past week (just the file server)...

1581802940617.png

We have software on the servers to reduce load where possible to try to keep it manageable :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Must be a ' Mick ' thing because it went straight over my bonce as well. Doh ! 😆

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Why is there a big peek in the middle of the night every day. Is it a backup or something?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes, I've got backup software running each night which backs up the databases on a rolling fourteen day. and also backs up the files, synchronising them. Again this has a rolling period so we're not dependant on just one backup.

Then the backups are mirrored to a network server as a backup in case everything goes belly up.

Oh, and once a month or so, the files are synched to a drive on my PC

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave, you might just need resetting back to Default settings :D

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Why is there a big peek in the middle of the night every day.
Is there something a little odd with that statement? Or is it just me needing my meds? I need more coffee.