A stone on the seed........love this river.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Been watching the levels after the weekend and decided today was worth a punt with just a touch of water on and a nice colour compared to the gin clear Trent of usual. Set up an 8no 4 stick and a 2 gram bulk rig on my trusty harrier system whip at 6m to hand. Have 9ft of water Infront with some nice pace. Started on the stick, mixed some hemp up with some caster and the odd tare for my feed just like the old boys taught me when I was a youth. Start feeding the line with a bronze tumeric maggot on the hook was always the way. Bites straight away but remember the old be patient, get them fish competing and confident is the key. Taking small roach and odd perch in the first half hour. Then the switch to caster see if we can be selective. Stamp is better......it's working just like it did in 1989 Lol. Timing the switch to the tare is critical, to early and the line will dry up. Switch to the whip as the bigger fish want it slowed down and inched through with the bulk down. On the tare and bang then 8 to 12oz red fins are really having a chew today. Keep working at it switching back to caster when things slow but it's a lovely way to fish. Tip back a good 15 to 20lb of prime Trent red fins plus a few perch (one caught on a tare... first for me.) Fed a pint of caster, 2 pints of hemp and used an handful of tares. All the old ways I knew still working the same after all these years. Feet up now with a cold beer after a cracking days proper fishingIMG_20190813_153232.jpg

IanG1

Site Supporter
Great net of fish. Where abouts on the trent do you go?
Sawley/Long Eaton area. Like most areas not many interested in fishing the river. I had 2 lads sat behind me for a bit today on a bench. I could over hear them chatting about local commercials and their exploits. They watched for a bit then asked me a few questions about bait etc. As they left one turned to the other and said "couldnt be a*sed catching them little fish with all that effort" I smiled to myself and carried on lol

david white

Site Supporter
Sawley/Long Eaton area. Like most areas not many interested in fishing the river. I had 2 lads sat behind me for a bit today on a bench. I could over hear them chatting about local commercials and their exploits. They watched for a bit then asked me a few questions about bait etc. As they left one turned to the other and said "couldnt be a*sed catching them little fish with all that effort" I smiled to myself and carried on lol
You’re right to have a chuckle to yourself !! Ok let’s be fair there’s a place for comfortable commercial and as I near a certain age I’m selecting a few which aren’t carp carp and more carp, with my father in law ( nigh on 80 ) and my brother in law ( has MS ) needs must and every day I too get older ( funny that, it catches up with you seemingly overnight ) having a few comfortable venues in mind for the future but I hope to get a few more ‘ yesteryear ‘ sessions in over the coming months
tight lines Ian great read as always almost makes me feel I was there

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
. As they left one turned to the other and said "couldnt be a*sed catching them little fish with all that effort" I smiled to myself and carried on lol
What is more satisfying. A session of effort with rewards. Or, a session with no effort and rewards. With effort you pitch your skills and learn. With No effort you give nothing and learned nothing.
I know what I like to think my fishing has been over these years.
IanG1, a net of fish we would all be proud of.

pellet

What a great bag of fish, top angling and a comedy show going on behind. Not at all surprised by the youth of today it's all quick reward for no effort and no concept of learning an art and working for a reward. Add two goldfish to your catch, attention of a goldfish