A film for lovers of catfish

drw

Site Supporter
Sportsman have watched that several times in the past great to see it again those lads make some great videos ! Not that cats are my thing 😀

Simon R

Site Supporter
Is the Loire renowned as a catfish river - certainly seems to be plenty of them.
Should get Jeremy Wade to visit if he does river monsters again - he had enough problems with the one he caught on the Ebro trying to 'eat him' :p
Send him snorkeling down there and he'd have a panic attack.

How big were them fish - that camera technique tends to make everything look huge but there must have been some well over 100lb swimming about down there.

Simon

Sportsman

Hi Simon
Fish well in excess of 100lb I had taken from the Loire regularly. Pretty much all of the French rivers contain Silure, or Wels Catfish
My local river, the Dordogne, has seen fish up to 200lb +.
The Loire is a massive river, a Km wide in places, and it is interesting to see anglers heaving leads and baits as far as they can check them when all of these fish were within a few meters of the bank. It is also interesting to see how important the cover is to the fish, both catfish and carp. Of course, hooking one and getting them out of the tangle of branches might be a bit of a challenge.
As in the UK, I don't think French rivers get the attention they deserve. Lots of British anglers come across to France to fish for tame carp and they can pay a fortune to do it. If you buy a weeks fishing licence for about €30 you can fish just about every river in France. Excellent course fishing for bream, roach and tench. Many rivers have great shoals of barbel, although they don't seem to grow the same size as they do in the UK, and of course, the carp and cats.
Just about all French rivers now allow night fishing on large parts of them. It would be interesting to see how well a couple of decent anglers could do if they fished hard for a week.

Dusty Rhodes

Hi Simon
Fish well in excess of 100lb I had taken from the Loire regularly. Pretty much all of the French rivers contain Silure, or Wels Catfish
My local river, the Dordogne, has seen fish up to 200lb +.
The Loire is a massive river, a Km wide in places, and it is interesting to see anglers heaving leads and baits as far as they can check them when all of these fish were within a few meters of the bank. It is also interesting to see how important the cover is to the fish, both catfish and carp. Of course, hooking one and getting them out of the tangle of branches might be a bit of a challenge.
As in the UK, I don't think French rivers get the attention they deserve. Lots of British anglers come across to France to fish for tame carp and they can pay a fortune to do it. If you buy a weeks fishing licence for about €30 you can fish just about every river in France. Excellent course fishing for bream, roach and tench. Many rivers have great shoals of barbel, although they don't seem to grow the same size as they do in the UK, and of course, the carp and cats.
Just about all French rivers now allow night fishing on large parts of them. It would be interesting to see how well a couple of decent anglers could do if they fished hard for a week.
Are none of the river stretches in France privately owned?
Obviously in the UK a lot of the best stretches are owned by exclusive clubs. I know the Notts Piscatorials own a hell of a lot of the Trent but you need to be referred by 2 people and go for an interview before you can join!

Sportsman

Nearly all of the rivers, canals and lakes are available for anyone with a license to fish. About the only private fishing in France are the specimen carp lakes that are very often British owned.
Sometimes access to the rivers can be a bit difficult, but there is a law in France that make landowners have to allow, I think, a two metre strip of access for anglers along their river banks. I may be wrong on that.
Some of the rivers are pretty big and it can be a bit daunting without local knowledge
The fishing license is a bit expensive at 85 Euro but you can fish just about anywhere for that. There is some very very good fishing to be had on French rivers. Many anglers are getting a bit fed up with the big fat carp in the lakes and are looking at more of a challenge with the river carp. A 20lb carp from the river will pull harder than a 40lb fish from a pond. There are carp up to 50lb in the Dordogne ;)