A few Winter Adventures

Silverfisher

Will be the first session of the year, did have a wonder down the canal when a match was on to see what was going on but there was loads on DNW with it won with a couple pounds so didn’t really fancy it. It’ll be hard to get a bite on the thames out of town as well but at least that bite could be a 3lb plus chub rather scratching for if I’m lucky maybe a dozen razor blades.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Tight lines! I'm on the Chub on my weirpool peg tomorrow as well providing no one else is fishing there!

Silverfisher

Good luck I fancy your chances more than mine tbh haha

I was going to try a day on the Ouse or warks Avon where I'd fancy my chances of building a respectable bag of silvers but that was before I got restricted to pre lunch hours due to family friends visiting so a quick maybe 3 hour session lends itself to chubbing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Went and bought a couple of pints of maggots this morning and then got to the weirpool and someone was already fishing there! I might wait till tomorrow but it's going to be raining, hopefully no heavy rain overnight as I want to try out my new rod!

Silverfisher

Spot we went to was clapping through would have never held bottom and by the time we had driven around to find a fishable stretch we’d have only had a couple hours before we were required home so didn’t bother. Really frustrating as got lots of wet and windy weather forecast again now for a good 10 days so probably be tight to get on the river again this season now with the state it’ll end up in.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
@Silverfisher have never fished the thames, would there be any chance sometime of coming down and watching how it's done? I would leave tackle at home and pick a few tips up by watching.
Had a look at a few stretches around here they seem totally different to rivers I fished up north, and that wasnt to often.
The canal is no problem, I am more at home on canal or pool than a river.

Silverfisher

Yeah no problem in summer and autumn, I don’t have much of a clue myself in winter!

I’m far from an expert but suppose I’ve got a rough idea what I’m doing after fishing it for a good few years now. I find the river much easier than the canal myself.

Was actually a tougher year than usual on the Thames last year but you’ll find my reports on here to give you a rough idea. Add about 30% onto my catch totals and you’ll get what it’s normally like.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a shame you didn't get out today @Silverfisher . I had to go for a few casts with my new rod somewhere so went to a fishery called The Vineyards near me. It's full of match sized Carp in summer but nowhere to be seen today. And it was bloody freezing. I had the wrong method with a maggot feeder (groundbait banned) but just wanted to try my Grey's TwinTip rod. Was pleased with the rod with a 1.5oz glass tip but only had 3 Gudgeon so yet to test it fully.

Silverfisher

Should have gone to the second spot first really as was some big fishable slacks there but lazily went for the short walk option and there really wasn’t time to do the other one after. Still had a nice walk as it was a nice calm and mild morning.

At least you caught, classic winter scratching fish gudgeon, probably not much fun on that gear though lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On the weirpool today trying out my new Greys rod with a pint of maggots I had left over.

Lost 3 feeders to snags on the first few casts before I found a clear spot and had a small Chub.

2020-01-30 10.25.17.jpg

That got my hopes up a few fish might be there but it was the only bite of the day save for smashed maggots on the penultimate cast.

Pleased with my rod though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's got a lot of power anyway. I can see why it was recommended on here for use on Barbel on the River. Looking forward to having a few bigger Chub, Carp and Tench on it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The fish were going mental on Willow Pool at Furnace Mill today in this warmer weather. They have actually started fighting again. I had to step up to an 0.12 hooklength from 0.10 today. I was on track for 200lb with 20 nice fish by 11.45 until I ruined my peg. Still ended up with 40 fish for a conservative estimate of 120lb.

I ruined my peg by running out of groundbait and buying some more fishery micro pellets. Ended up with an 80/20 mix of micros and groundbait going through the feeder and despite switching down to a small size Drennan Gripmesh Feeder the fish weren't having it the same way as they were having a mostly Sonubaits F1 Green and Black Lake groundbait mix that was clouding the water nicely.

Had loads of Carp to 10lb but also a couple of nice Bream about 4lb.

2020-02-01 10.16.06.jpg

And everytime I fish it I seem to catch nice big Perch. Had this one easily pushing 2lb.

2020-02-01 12.27.47.jpg

And this one about 1.75lb

2020-02-01 13.12.04.jpg

Nice day with the sun and wind in my face and the first ton of the year. Hope this nice weather has the Barbel feeding later in the week on the Severn.

Silverfisher

Lovely perch again. Fair play getting out today was blowing big time here you wouldn’t get me out in that haha

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeh it was windy and my feeder arms not that stable but was nice and warm! Probably not the best conditions for river trotting though! :) (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks @bezzer I seem to have big Perch everytime I fish there.

Time to wind this thread down now, as Spring is just starting.

Fished today on my favourite peg, 57, on Willow Pool at Furnace Mil again. Only this time I decided to waggler fish it instead of feeder. Trying out my new TDR reel loaded with 4lb Maxima I was very impressed, very smooth quick drag on it. And the wind stayed relatively calm throughout the day letting me fish the waggler quite easily.

Fed heavy on the groundbait as I know it works through the feeder, so fed about 3/4 of a kilo of Sonubaits Worm, a pint and half of maggots, half of pinkies, and some 4mm fishery pellets at about 10m in 7 foot of water, one of the deepest pegs at the venue which is why I fish it. Triple red maggot on a size 18 hook as usual.

In the end I had 60 fish, which is a few more than I have had feeder fishing, but not the highest weight I've had from there at about 80lb as 25 of them were small Tench under a pound, along with 6 Bream around 4lb, 4 Perch around a pound, a couple of chublets, and the rest Carp and F1s including two doubles about 10lb.

Nothing worth photographing this time. Roll on spring proper so I can start Tenching.

And so that was my Winter...

Silverfisher

Sounds like a good session, plenty of action. I nearly had a last river session for the season on the Ouse today (Thames still ruined) but decided against it in case it got tight time wise for a pub session for the rugby.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah it was bite a chuck really with 60 fish in 6 hours. I really should fish different pegs there but I know this one fishes well so...

I drove past the Severn near Bewdley on the way there and it was out of its banks so doubt I'll get on there again this season. Thinking about going on the canal for my next day out if I don't get on my weirpool before end of season.

Silverfisher

Nothing wrong with fishing the swims you know might as well guarantee yourself a good day for the price of your ticket. On Stillwaters I always fish swims I know if they are free.