A few Winter Adventures

Zerkalo

Fished Willow Pool again today, 9.50 to 2,30 as fishery shuts at 3. Same peg as it's a decent one, or at least I know the lake has some depth up that end.

Furnace Mill always throws up a few nice surprises but it was much the same as last time. Same method with a cage feeder and double/triple maggot on a 18 hook to 0,10 hooklength. Bites came from the start and were steady throughout the day. Yes, I probably would have caught more on the pole, as was only chucking 12m to the centre of the lake, but I have a lot of fun fishing the tip in winter.

The Bream/big Skimmers about 3,5lb turned up 3 times.

2019-12-28 10.42.54.jpg

As did Mr Perch again, this time pushing 2lb.

2019-12-28 12.23.10.jpg

For a total of 31 fish for around 60lb again. So more fish this time but without the lump carp I had last time. This fishery is shut from New Year until the 18th so I'm going to have to find somewhere else to go in the meantime, definitely be back the after the 18th though might try a different peg on a different lake next time. :)

Silverfisher

Good work again, some nice fish!

I'm finally getting out tomorrow. Going to a venue that I used to fish years ago when it had a good head of roach and Rudd but their numbers declined over the years leaving mostly carp and f1s that don't interest me so I haven't fished it for maybe 6 years. I have heard rumours that the silvers are making a bit of a come back so I thought it worth a go seeing as it's one of only a couple fishable venues available atm. Whether they have had enough of a resurgence for an out of practice me to catch them in the winter is debatable though lol

Zerkalo

Good work again, some nice fish!

I'm finally getting out tomorrow. Going to a venue that I used to fish years ago when it had a good head of roach and Rudd but their numbers declined over the years leaving mostly carp and f1s that don't interest me so I haven't fished it for maybe 6 years. I have heard rumours that the silvers are making a bit of a come back so I thought it worth a go seeing as it's one of only a couple fishable venues available atm. Whether they have had enough of a resurgence for an out of practice me to catch them in the winter is debatable though lol
Finally! I hope you do get out and have a good day!

Carp and F1s behave more like silvers in winter, even if it is just them, I at least enjoy being able to catch them on the bottom instead of the usual shallow feeding frenzy and margin fishing, but hope you get a nice bag of roach anyway!

Silverfisher

Yeah I don't mind the F1s in the winter tbh. If you're going to scratch around for bites at this time of year getting half a dozen or so of them around a pound or two at least means you get a bit of a scrap from the few fish you do catch. Should be doable based on what it used to be like but enough time has passed since then that it could be completely different. Wait and see I guess.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
A couple of lads from our club fished the River Dee yesterday at Farndon. One of them was reeling in a Dace & it was taken by a Pike. 20 minutes later, and on 3lb line, size 20 hook, he landed the pike which weighed in at 23lb!

Silverfisher

Great fish must have got the hook in the perfect spot! I've done it a few times but never with a pike even a third as big as that.

Did once almost land an about a 6lb blacktip shark on a 16 to 3lb hooklength that I was using to try and catch some tiny herring for bait but it just had too many teeth lol

Zerkalo

I've done that once with a chublet and a jack pike but with a bit stronger line, sounds like a good fish.

I've been using 18 hook to 0.10 hooklength with double maggot for most of this winter, seems to be working as the carp are docile, and I've only been snapped once on a bite that almost pulled the rod in.

Silverfisher

I had the 9 pounder yesterday on a 2.5lb hooklength which is not unusual in itself but it certainly fought differently to how it would in the summer, more dogged than any proper runs. As I don’t usually fish stillwaters in winter it was my first experience of a decent sized winter carp so was quite interesting to feel the difference to how they fight in warmer water. Although I’ve landed plenty on such gear in warmer water you do feel like they could break or get off at any moment whereas I never got that feeling with this one.

Zerkalo

That's why I like carp in winter. It's also difficult to get snapped by them with the clutch set right as no mad runs where you have to turn them!

Silverfisher

I’m a back winder for coarse fishing myself. With light softish rods and light stretchy ish mono you often have to set the clutch quite light to get them to engage every time it’s needed so I feel more in control on the back wind. Would be different if I fished for bigger deliberately with heavier gear I guess but I like to fish light as you get and hit more bites and feel the fight more. I’m happy on the clutch with the stiffer rods and stretchless braid used for sea fishing though as it tends to engage better.

Zerkalo

Sorry I had to make a thread about backwinding as you saw @Silverfisher ha.

Carrying on with my winter feeder fishing adventures, I fished Bells Mill today, casting to open water, and caught 25 small carp to 3lb, 2 skimmer and a 1.5lb Barbel for about 35-40lb total. Better than I did at Kings Nordley over last weekend where I had 7 fish, made up of 5 Skimmers, a small Carp, and a 1lb Perch. Forget the name of the pool I fished at Kings Nordley but it was the one above the pool called Moorhens.

Silverfisher

Well done, just good to be catching this time of year.

Not sure where I’m going to go this weekend. It’s not been a very dry week and it’s not the the best weekend forecast so think I’ll give the rivers a miss and maybe try the canal as it’s closer, more sheltered and less treacherous. See how I feel on the day.

Zerkalo

Cheers. I'd be on the canal near me but imagine it would be tough going so good luck. Look forward to hearing how you get on. (y)

Bells Mill is the kind of place you can't not catch which is why I fish there at this time of year.

Silverfisher

Yeah wish I had a place like that around here. Still most places around here are great for 8-9 months of the year so I can put up with a bit of struggling those other 3-4 months.

It’s so bizarre how my local Stillwater and the Thames are so packed with fish most the year then seemingly near empty in the winter. I’d be fairly confident of getting something decent out of the Ouse or Avon but they are about 40-50 minute drives as opposed to about 20 minutes to the Thames and 10 minutes to the canal and Stillwater so I don’t get out to them as often as I should.

Zerkalo

Finding the weather windows doesn't help matters either does it. Today was fine so I had to go out somewhere.

Tried fishing the weirpool on the Stour near me. Put my bread mash to use with a chubber float and breadflake on the hook instead of the usual maggot feeder tactics. No good as expected. Didn't catch anything.

River was normal level but it races through there meaning there's never enough of a glide to trot down. I can cast either into the main torrent and the float is gone downstream in a second, or let it swirl around in the slack which is what I did hoping for a chub but I think they shoal up on the other side and too much colour in the water for breadflake to be very effective.

Silverfisher

I’ve often found it hard to start on the float in quick water as it can be quite difficult to feed the swim as you need a lot of bait. I’ve had sessions on the wye and Severn where float fishing seemed impossible at the start so I’d abandon it and fish say 4 hours on the feeder and catch x amount of fish then I’d go back onto the float for the last couple hours once the swims established. I’d then catch near the same amount of fish as the feeder in half the time on the float as the fish were there feeding and easy to fool.

Zerkalo

Furnace Mill throwing up LUMPS today. :love:

2020-01-24 14.17.43.jpg

I had 25 fish for 70lb including a 10lb,12lb and the above 15lb carp. And also these couple of nice 1.5lb Perch again.

2020-01-24 14.29.26.jpg
2020-01-24 14.58.36.jpg

All on maggot on the Groundbait Feeder on Willow Pool again.

Silverfisher

Lovely perch again. I should be finally back on the Thames tomorrow morning for a short session. It’s been fishing quite well in the city considering what we’ve dealt with in the past couple months but that’s all matched up this weekend and not really my cup of tea anyway so will be out in the countryside for chub or bust I expect.

Zerkalo

Cheers. Is that your first time out for a while or did you get on the canal in the end mate?