A few Winter Adventures

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fished Willow Pool at Furnace Mill today. Didn't know what to expect as hadn't fished it in Winter before. Last time on Furnace Pool I only caught tiny Roach so was half expecting the same again with the hope of a Carp or two as this pool has a bit more depth at around 7ft.

The first couple of casts on the cage feeder produced no bites and I was just looking at the clarity of the water, could see the bottom, thinking this might be a tough day but at least there's no bits, when the tip went round and I was into a Carp. I had started on Drennan Silverfish Maggot hooks but after a nice lump I decided to go back to Wide Gape Carp that I stuck with for the rest of the day.

The next 15 or so casts produced 10 nice Carp to 10lb. I though I was in for an easy ton at this point when at about 11.30 the swim changed. I started getting shy bites and suspicious liners which I eventually struck at to get this nice Bream.

IMG_4302.JPG

There are reportedly big Bream going to double figures in there. It had gone quiet and I was hoping a shoal of Bream had moved in. I was still getting suspicious liners when I struck and hit a dead weight. Surely another Bream I thought? Nope. CRAYFISH! I then had a couple of small Perch as it was still quiet going. I could see fish topping that looked like Bream and I was sure there were a few there that just weren't getting their heads down. When the tip went slowly round again and I had another nice Bream.

IMG_4305.JPG

I love fishing this venue for the fact the Bream are a nice size in there. Not just skimmers. I was hoping for a few more when I struck at a shy bite and hooked something that I was sure wasn't a Carp. From the sluggish but quite determined fight, was it a big Bream I thought? Came to the top and it was this big Stripey!

IMG_4307.JPG

I didn't weigh it but easily pushing 2.5lb, maybe a bit more, that's a PB Perch! The next couple of hours or so produced a few more Carp to take my tally to 20 fish for around 60lb. Far better than I had expected for a reasonably mild Winters day!

Silverfisher

With those perch and bream that's a good session for any time of year, well done indeed. Proper fish those.

The venue I have picked for tomorrow is very artificial looking and very moody year round so I rarely fish it but it is just about the only venue still accesible to me after all the rain. Some days there you scratch around for couple pound of 2-3oz roach and perch and others you bag up on bream and barbel with no logically reasoning for the differences day to day. Tbh having not got out on the bank in the last couple months due to all the wind and rain I'd take catching just about anything haha

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I enjoyed catching the Carp as well today. Even the lumps came in quite easily so lots of fun on the tip! The Perch and Bream are bonus which makes the venue what it is!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Well done, you did well there. I love Furnace Mill it’s a lovely place. The surroundings are really tranquil and it’s probably the best kept fishery I’ve ever been on.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well done, you did well there. I love Furnace Mill it’s a lovely place. The surroundings are really tranquil and it’s probably the best kept fishery I’ve ever been on.
Thanks mate! Agree on that! It's perfect fishing for me with the variety of big fish given the size of the lakes.

Silverfisher

Just googled it does look like there's some nice waters there, looks like a commercial done properly with a bit of character to it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm waiting for the day I see Matt Hayes there lol! I had no idea about the Perch but having just googled it...

It really wouldn't surprise me if that statement of double figure Bream is true too. Last summer I had about 8 over 5lb in a row.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A winter carp session...

Frosty Reels.jpg

Frozen Bite Alarm.jpg

Frosty Rods.jpg

Everything froze up, including the alarms.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I take it that wasn't today @ukzero1 o_O:roflmao: Nice and warm here lol.
No mate, not today. Was last year when the weather forecast was for 5c, hah, turned out to be about -5. Needless to say, not one run over the weekend I was there. Also had to buy new alarms as those ones didn't work at all after that.

Silverfisher

That's pretty a extreme photo!

Apparently the stream round the back of the place I was planning on going tomorrow is flooded so I might literally be venue-less now. Will probably go for a look but sounds ominous.

Considering going sea fishing after Christmas if everywhere's still a mess here which is a sign of desperation as I consider winter sea fishing close to madness!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I feel for you @Silverfisher at this time of year I'm happy just to be able to wet a line. Hopefully you find somewhere.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
@Zerkalo have you ever fished Larford Lakes? The big lake is really big and last time I went I caught loads of big bream on a cage feeder. It occurred to me that you would probably really like it. It’s got big carp in as well so don’t go undergunned. I haven’t been for a few years but I imagine it’s still the same. It’s not too far to travel for you either.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I haven't mate. Thanks for recommending though as I hadn't heard of it and it sounds right up my street with theBream. It seems close to me.

I'll have to hit you up for some more info. Merry Christmas!!! (y):)

Silverfisher

12 degrees down here as well but peeing it down again! Looks like we might finally have a spell of dry weather starting tomorrow though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Nice video here at Larford @Markywhizz I've had more chance to check it out today and it is nice and close to me.

I'll have to check it out sometime over next couple of months! Going back out to Furnace Mill hopefully this weekend though, it's open 9 till 3 and weather not looking bad. Probably fish same peg as last time. ;)(y)