A days legering with Ivan Marks

bryanh

Site Supporter
A brilliant session at Cuttle Mill fishery in the company of David Hall.
Quite a sad watch actually as he was obviously not in the best of health but nevetheless this film shows the brilliance of the thought processes and logic behind his methods.
A very humble, honest man with no airs and graces and easy to see why he was known as the people's champion.

Over an hour of sheer bliss.

Enjoy

derwentboy

Wonderful that..absolutely fantastic. What a lovely fella he was. Nice one

MarkW

From memory the two films were made in about 1989 or 1990 and Ivan had his first heart attack in 1988 so he was not a well man at that time. In 1993 he had his heart transplant and got a lot better. Still my fishing hero and I was privileged to write his biography, 'Ivan Marks and the Likely Lads' about three years ago.

I think it was a shame that David Hall didn't make some more films with Ivan; it would have been good to see Ivan on the Welland, Trent and Warwickshire Avon, fishing the stick and waggler.

bryanh

Site Supporter
I think it was a shame that David Hall didn't make some more films with Ivan; it would have been good to see Ivan on the Welland, Trent and Warwickshire Avon, fishing the stick and waggler.
He did Mark, if you watch the credits at the end of the video, there's a list of other films featuring Ivan, Des Taylor and others.

MarkW

I've got a list (1991) here of the videos done by David Hall; just two with Ivan, both at Cuttle Mill. Other anglers used include: Des Taylor, Mark Downes, Steve Gardener, Jan Porter, Dave Harrell, Dickie Carr, Dave Roper, Keith Arthur, Ron Lees, Clive Branson, Bob Nudd and Mark Pollard.

bryanh

Site Supporter
Apologies Mark, you're correct, I only looked at the first minute or so of the second one which showed David Hall on a river bank; it was quite late and after a reasonable measure of Highland Malt, I made a wrong assumption. As you say it was at Cuttle Mill.:oops:

MarkW

The 'lost in the archives' film is of Ivan and the Likely Lads in 1970 in a TV programme called 'It's a sort of disease'. the film exists but not the TV footage. I've got a written copy of the interviews done for the film.

Arch

Site Supporter
I was on a match on the Loughborough canal not long before he died. Ivan walked along the towpath towards me. He stopped and asked me how I was doing. I wasn't catching, as per usual, but just the fact he'd took the time to stop made my day.

For people of my era, he was our hero.

Graham Bowers

What a captivating treat. It was such a joy to see a humble expert sharing his craft in such a natural way. I have never ever watched YT content of that duration to the end. Thanks for sharing.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I remember David Hall writing about filming those two videos with Ivan - of all the films he was involved with - and that list that Mark's provided is pretty comprehensive - David Hall only appeared in those two. Simply because try as they might they couldn't get Ivan to talk to the camera - left alone he'd just clam up but give him someone to talk to (and as anyone who's met him will testify) he was in his element and wouldn't shut up.

Actually I've just remembered that David Hall did appear in a few other DVDs that were produced much, much later - I didn't even know they existed until a load of 'em turned up in pound shops up and down the country a few years ago - I know he's in a couple with Dave Harrell on the river and possibly someone on a commercial fishery too.

Simon

Simon R

Site Supporter
The other Ivan Marks video has been uploaded to YouTube by the same user - in fact the entire Clean River back catalogue seems to be available - just look for videos with CRP as part of the title.

Simon

fasteddy

Just found the time to watch this, what an absolute honour to be able to see the great man in action.
I wish I could have met him, and spent a day or two on the bank with him.
A true legend.

MarkW

Back in the early 2000s Ivan was offering guided days fishing local to Leicester and I wish I'd made the journey. I watched Ivan fish a few times and spoke to him a couple of times. He was very much focused on fishing, other subjects rarely interested him (perhaps gambling!).

bezzer

Site Supporter
Thank you for posting the links to Ivan's videos, a truly wonderful angler and man.
I met him a couple of times 70's when he was fishing an Opens on the Trent. He took the time to chat to anyone who wanted to talk, dished out advice and even signed my Jacket :)

derwentboy

These videos from KBO are great..I really enjoyed the Dickie Carr one on chopped worm...going to try to watch the lot.

SteveAmo

I went and watched Ivan numerous times in the late 70’s at Coombe Abbey on the invitation matches he used to talk to the crowd whilst Fishing, what a shame we didn’t have Camera phones in those days as it would have been top viewing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Tackle Talk 23
Gwillim Disabled Angling 16
S The Club House 34
Wise Owl The Club House 6
Wise Owl The Club House 17