6 Ex british soldiers being held in Indian Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
As above 6 exBritish soldiers detained and held in an Indian jail, some time ago there was an email petition about a serving MOD personnel who was being made redundant by the MOD three days before his twenty two years full service and because he hadn't served the full twenty two years he was going to lose half his pension rights, I duly signed the petition along with others of this site and thousands of others and the out come was he will receive his full pension, so well done all.

To-day I have received another email petition, this time about these 6 exBritish soldiers who are being detained. They were on Anti-Piracy patrol on board ship as far as I can ascertain, when they were detained and by the Indian govt, in the email it doesn't state why they were arrested and detained just the fact that they were.

Does anybody know the ins and outs of this, I shall be signing this petition, unfortunately I don't know how to be able to get this actual petition on to the thread as I'm not that au fait with computers.

Notts Breamer

Dave PD
They have been held in Chennai since 18 October with Indian authorities claiming the vessel entered Indian waters with a huge cache of weapons on board, they were apparently providing anti-piracy protection to a US ship.

A petition with over 29,000 names is already on going , here - http://www.change.org/petitions/william-hague-help-free-the-6-british-ex-soldiers-from-indian-prison

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Notts Breamer

They have been held in Chennai since 18 October with Indian authorities claiming the vessel entered Indian waters with a huge cache of weapons on board, they were apparently providing anti-piracy protection to a US ship.

A petition with over 29,000 names is already on going , here - http://www.change.org/petitions/william-hague-help-free-the-6-british-ex-soldiers-from-indian-prison
Cheers for the info Dave.[:T]

jdigger

Just out of interest, have you done any background research into this or just posted something that someone else has posted on to you?

I've had a quick look, and there is more to it than has been mentioned in this post.

Personally I don't agree with these type of web petition requests- many people are just signing them based on scant information or views of the poster, and they almost become "viral" without consideration of actual facts.

Last edited:

codenamemilo

So you're going to be signing the petition without knowing the ins and outs? On what basis?

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
Originally posted by codenamemilo

So you're going to be signing the petition without knowing the ins and outs? On what basis?
I wanted to know why they'd been detained, that's why I posted the thread, I'd got an idea from the petition that they'd not been doing anything problematic but just wanted to find out a bit more before I made up my mind to vote, they were being paid to prevent piracy, yes they did have a boatful of armnaments but so do the pirates, RPG's and the likes, and I can't see that catapults and the likes being of much use in these situations, and in any case what I do with my vote has got Eff all to do with you.

Bootster

Originally posted by pat 1948

some time ago there was an email petition about a serving MOD personnel who was being made redundant by the MOD three days before his twenty two years full service and because he hadn't served the full twenty two years he was going to lose half his pension rights, I duly signed the petition along with others of this site and thousands of others and the out come was he will receive his full pension, so well done all.
And if they were the 'facts' surrounding that petition then I'd be dubious about this latest one. Personnel being made redundant are eligible for their pension after 18 years Service rather than the usual 22 years. No exceptions have been made for individuals that were close to the 18 year point when being made redundant.

I've never signed any of these internet petitions as the 'facts' surrounding them are usually very dubious and their effectiveness is doubtful at best; do you really think the Indian Government is going to a hoot if they consider there's the chance these guys were supplying arms or something?

codenamemilo

I wanted to know why they'd been detained, that's why I posted the thread, I'd got an idea from the petition that they'd not been doing anything problematic but just wanted to find out a bit more before I made up my mind to vote, they were being paid to prevent piracy, yes they did have a boatful of armnaments but so do the pirates, RPG's and the likes, and I can't see that catapults and the likes being of much use in these situations, and in any case what I do with my vote has got Eff all to do with you.
It;s got something to do with me as soon as you post it on a forum.

You clearly stated you were going to sign it, not asking for context to make your mind up.

So, you think mercenaries have the right to be wherever they like wth whatever weapons they like?

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam

It;s got something to do with me as soon as you post it on a forum.

You clearly stated you were going to sign it, not asking for context to make your mind up.

So, you think mercenaries have the right to be wherever they like wth whatever weapons they like?
Well at least I won't have to put up with any more of your inane knockings of british military personnel, don't bother replying to this posting as I've put you on my "ignore list".

lurkio

A little dab'll do
If they are 'ex-British soldiers' does that not make them armed (I presume they were armed) civilians?

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Bootster

some time ago there was an email petition about a serving MOD personnel who was being made redundant by the MOD three days before his twenty two years full service and because he hadn't served the full twenty two years he was going to lose half his pension rights, I duly signed the petition along with others of this site and thousands of others and the out come was he will receive his full pension, so well done all.
And if they were the 'facts' surrounding that petition then I'd be dubious about this latest one. Personnel being made redundant are eligible for their pension after 18 years Service rather than the usual 22 years. No exceptions have been made for individuals that were close to the 18 year point when being made redundant.

I've never signed any of these internet petitions as the 'facts' surrounding them are usually very dubious and their effectiveness is doubtful at best; do you really think the Indian Government is going to a hoot if they consider there's the chance these guys were supplying arms or something?
Surely if this guy had done three days short of 22 years according to your post he would have automatically got a full pension,I seem to remember him being an officer,are the rules different for them as they can retire later than other ranks,I think !
Regarding the 'ex British Army personnel,there must be more to it than the ship carrying arms,if that was the only reason then surely the captain of the ship would be responsible.

Bungee

The fact is that they were being paid a very handsome amount to guard ships against pirates, almost mercenaries if you will-hence the weapons on board.

Now, these men knew the risks when they went to do the job, and were very happy to take the large wage. If the boat has strayed into territorial waters, it is the Captains fault, and is down to the shipping company to get them out of jail.

Being ex-military, and doing a military type job does not entitle you to the same rights and government diplomatic 'sway as when you were full military, sad as it is.

Obviously, everyone wants these guys home, but remember, they put themselves there.

Status
Not open for further replies.