2 X Bite alarms - GFs hanging on by a thread

rudd

On the 3rd June 2005 I purchased Two GFs alarms, covers, GF4A sounder box, two leads and two illuminated bobbins for £74.00
In that time they have been used alot and fixed a few years back when I replaced battery terminals (square 9v).
Last night discovered one not working. Opened up and neutral wire corroded.
Managed to just about solder it back onto circuit board. Its working but only on high sensitively setting.

Will continue to use them but dont think they will last much longer.
Worked out they have cost me 0.015 pence per day 😁 so had my monies worth ( for the Yorkshiremen).

So now looking at modern alarms on offer - some of the prices are shocking but you get what you pay for.
Some so expensive they have anti theft alarms built in!
Will use them for Carping, Tenching, Breaming, Roach, Crucians and Perch, mainly during the day with a few overnights per year.
Need to comfortably hold Carp or Specimen rods. The GFs also do not need snag ears as rods sit deep, deep seating or snag ears are a must where I fish ( tight swims, deep margins, high banks - rods may be at sevear angle towards water).
Only need two alarms as only fish two rods and would like a remote receiver (tripped over sounder box wires a few times)!
Also on point of receiver I am convinced sound from an alarm vibrates through mono (plastic cup- string- plastic cup) so keep volume low or off and use sounder box.
Delkins look good but also expensive and there are alot for sale on ebay etc. - any reason for this?
Drawn towards Fox as used several micron models and still have a £15 mini micron on a single pod I use for a few situations during daylight.

So any recommendations, reliability, drop back functionality a must, cost usage, battery type/life, waterproofing, snag ears ( needed or not)
And what other brands should I consider?
Think I would prefer new as electronics involved and electronics can be fickle if not looked after (dropped in water, banged about, stored daml etc.).

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I have the GF's as well, 8 of them to be exact and like you was wondering about upgrading maybe to the Delk's as I quite like the idea of remote recievers and less bankside noise from the buzzer, will be interested in the responses

A lot of the alarms I've seen over the years havent been anywhere near as good as the GF's over the years so it would have to be a good system to make me ditch mine

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Just an addition, a lot of the TX's are up for sale as they've just introduced a TD system which is digital

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Probably too expensive, but I use the Gardner ATTs system... waterproof heads and no sounder in the alarms themselves, only in the reciever... had mine 7 years... nary a fault

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have a set of Prologic SNZ's (4+1), never had a problem with them and they've been out in all weathers. Or there's the Prologic R2L's, a brilliant set of alarms that are totally waterproof, with built in snag ears and drop back indicator which gives a different sound from a normal bite.
It depends on what your budget is and what you want from an alarm.

Last edited:

rudd

I have the GF's as well, 8 of them to be exact and like you was wondering about upgrading maybe to the Delk's as I quite like the idea of remote recievers and less bankside noise from the buzzer, will be interested in the responses

A lot of the alarms I've seen over the years havent been anywhere near as good as the GF's over the years so it would have to be a good system to make me ditch mine
I agree, most are operating using a roller wheel and dont seem to offer much more than a brand name.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
i bought a pair of bite alarms second hand about 15 years back, paid about a tenner each off a fella I knew was selling up a lot of his "Outdated" speci-big carp hunting gear

added a couple of shimmy 6010's and a pair of hand built harrison rods to the bundle along with a gardner rod pod and a fox continental bivvy, the whole lot came to about £250 cash money if I remember rightly

the alarms are ancient Delareed-Efgeeco Optonic Hi lo super compacts, they came with the paperwork, uprated brass opti-bolts and fittings, spare rollers and vanes for different sensativity and have the old telephone speaker kit to uprate the sounders, though thats never been fitted

Ive seen those alarms on Ebay for sale in the last couple of years, and the price had rocketed due to the old school type carpers

rudd

I have a set of Prologic SNZ's (4+1), never had a problem with them and they've been out in all weathers. Or there's the Prologic R2L's, a brilliant set of alarms that are totally waterproof, with built in snag ears and drop back indicator which gives a different sound from a normal bite.
It depends on what your budget is and what you want from an alarm.
Think requirements are covered in post, budget all depends on whats offered by the alarms.
If they last 15 years like the GFs £250 for two alarms and a receiver works out at 5 pence per day!

rudd

i bought a pair of bite alarms second hand about 15 years back, paid about a tenner each off a fella I knew was selling up a lot of his "Outdated" speci-big carp hunting gear

added a couple of shimmy 6010's and a pair of hand built harrison rods to the bundle along with a gardner rod pod and a fox continental bivvy, the whole lot came to about £250 cash money if I remember rightly

the alarms are ancient Delareed-Efgeeco Optonic Hi lo super compacts, they came with the paperwork, uprated brass opti-bolts and fittings, spare rollers and vanes for different sensativity and have the old telephone speaker kit to uprate the sounders, though thats never been fitted

Ive seen those alarms on Ebay for sale in the last couple of years, and the price had rocketed due to the old school type carpers
I think you were ripped off as no monkey climbers involved in the package! 😁😁
Optonics - a teenage dream!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
An original red fairy liquid bottle top, can be configured to your own requirements , As for an alarm setting, use over tin tray,with coin on top of bottle top. Top moves ,coin falls off, makes noise on tin. Sorted, cheap as chips. 😬

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Digital - in what sense?
I believe its in how the signal is encrypted so it cant be intercepted by another reciever

Seems theres loads of folk from the old ANet days still using their Gf's, shame Phil never developed the wireless version

squimp

Site Supporter
Simple choice.

top of the range = Delkims

Cheapest decent = Fox

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I was in this predicament a while ago, old microns had had one too many battery connectors corroded and replaced. Looked for ages, Pro Logics nearly had my wedge, but ended up with Delkims.