1st time fishing the slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp1886

I fished the slider for the first time at the weekend and i can't understand why its taken me so long!!! I thoroughly enjoyed doing something different for a change, as opposed to getting the pole out.

I fished a relatively difficult water however i still managed to catch a few fish; only small roach, skimmers and perch but it was only a practice session to see if i could get the set-up correct.

There are a few 'technical' issues i would like some advice / confirmation on though:

1. After casting (beyond my desired spot) i found that i had to reel in - peel off line, reel in -peel off line etc several times until the float was in the correct place.....is this common practice?

2. Is it only a method that excels when fished beyond pole length?

3. Can it be fished with an on the drop shotting pattern? (I've seen a few magazine articles and they all explain that the majority of the bulk is to be placed 3 feet from the hook)

4. Is it normal to miss so many bites? I fished about 13 metres out and hit 1 out of 4 bites. However, i was finding the caster, maggot smashed to pieces so maybe i needed more shot closer to the hook.

I'm hoping on perfecting this method before long, the waggler rod will now be the first thing out of the holdall from now.

Thanks for any future tips.

Hatchye

Originally posted by lp1886

I fished the slider for the first time at the weekend and i can't understand why its taken me so long!!! I thoroughly enjoyed doing something different for a change, as opposed to getting the pole out.

I fished a relatively difficult water however i still managed to catch a few fish; only small roach, skimmers and perch but it was only a practice session to see if i could get the set-up correct.

There are a few 'technical' issues i would like some advice / confirmation on though:

1. After casting (beyond my desired spot) i found that i had to reel in - peel off line, reel in -peel off line etc several times until the float was in the correct place.....is this common practice?

I don't fish slider too often, but I tend to wind back in sinking the lline then flip over the bale arm and raise the rod tip slightly to let the bulk weight peel off the required amount of line. It should remain sunken if you don't raise the tip too much

2. Is it only a method that excels when fished beyond pole length?

I've fished a rod length out before in 13ft of water, so it doesn't have to be beyond pole distance

3. Can it be fished with an on the drop shotting pattern? (I've seen a few magazine articles and they all explain that the majority of the bulk is to be placed 3 feet from the hook)

I've found you have to get used to the natural movement of the float to tell when the fish are taking it on the drop. I tend to put the bulk some where deeper than half way as I find it prevents a lot of tangles. If they are taking it higher in the water fish shallower or feed to get them back on the deck

4. Is it normal to miss so many bites? I fished about 13 metres out and hit 1 out of 4 bites. However, i was finding the caster, maggot smashed to pieces so maybe i needed more shot closer to the hook.

As above get them feeding in the lower regions of your swim and get used to the natural movement of the float to hit them if they come up in the water. Feeding plays a large part here in keeoing them in the depth you want them at.

I'm hoping on perfecting this method before long, the waggler rod will now be the first thing out of the holdall from now.

I had a refresher session earlier this season and was surprised at how much I'd missed it[:T]

Thanks for any future tips.

greentura

Greenie
hi glad you enjoyed it[:T]

1. after casting and the shot hitting the water raise the rod to peel the extra line off the reel. this will help it settle in the area you cast to

2. the next method to try in the same situation is float ledgering. you can use a smaler float and a stop knot the same as a slider and a bomb or feeder at the end. fish with the line between the bomb and the stop knot about a foot over depth then wind in after it hits bottom to set the float at the right height in the water. OR. use a lock slide or polaris ledger float, both are self fixing when cast in and wound backto set the height of the float. Both these methods need the rod to be in the resta to work properly [:T]

3. if your fishing a slider you can fish on the drop but only from the bulk shot down which is good for midwater feeding fish. don't see any reason that slider fishing should be for the bottom only, some times its just easier to cast a short rig to a tight swim and let it drop below the float.

4. missed bites are more common with sliders untill you get used to the set up. move the bulk (or a large olivet) nearer your hook(18" even less sometimes) and use a no.4 or even a no.1 as your tell tail and use an insert float you can regester lift bites with [:T]

hope that helps[:T]

dave brittain 1

See this info http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87315&SearchTerms=slider

When fishing a still water use a sinking line treated with washing up liquid. After you cast you should leave the bail arm open until the float settles and then sink the line by putting the rod tip 1-2ft under the water and flicking it upwards quickly, (if you are too agressive you can break the rod).

Regarding the method it's best used past pole range, (a pole will beat it hands down).

If your set up is right you shouldn't be missing many bites at all however if the fish are higher in the water you may be better off fishing a standard waggler at half depth or shallower as you may find that with frequest feeding you can catch very well 3-6ft deep even if the water is 20ft deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Top Dog
... if the fish are higher in the water you may be better off fishing a standard waggler at half depth or shallower as you may find that with frequest feeding you can catch very well 3-6ft deep even if the water is 20ft deep.
Top tip from Top Dog there !

I failed miserably in a match on the Ure, when I should have walked it.
Had about 20lb of perfect roach in the first two hours, fishing slider in 14 feet of water. Then the bites dried up.
When the whistle had gone, there were roach swirling all over the surface. I just didn't think that they might have come right up in the water. [:eek:)][:(]

monster800

Here are my thoughts

Use you line clip, cast past your spot, hit the clip get the rod tip under the surface and the float should walk back up the line ending up where your fishing with most of the line sunk. Just flick the tip to sink the rest. Put a bit of foam on a bank stick, soak with washing liquid and just reel in thru this a couple of times per session to keep the line sinking easily.

Have your bulk about 5 feet away and use no more than 3 droppers, and non smaller than No 6! Small shots wont show up.

Make sure you groundbait is firm enough to hit the bottom and then break up. If not up they come! Be careful if loosefedding again, if you feedlittle and often up they come!

Connect your hook length with a swivel, its another dropper and stops spin. Also you can connect a plummet to this when you plumb up, add the hooklength and you know how over depth you are fishing, easy.

Cheers...Mark

jelangley

Oh Right, just wondered as i'm in a very similar position with a local pool i'm a member of in Hinckley.

Status
Not open for further replies.