The Maggotdrowners Forum - South Norwood Lake - Croydon.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 South Norwood Lake - Croydon.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Super ted
CRABKATCHA

Surrey
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 October 2009 :  10:29:25 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Super ted to your friends list

Three weeks ago, on the way home from a blank afternoon at stew ponds, a couple of lads suggested I try Norwood. 'Full of small carp. A few bigguns too!!'
That was all the encouragement I needed and the following morning saw me arrive at the urban oasis that is South Norwood lake. I say that truthfully, I had been aware of the place for a while but due to it being in a questionably unsafe area I had avoided it. However, on arriving I found it peaceful, clean and felt safe enough to sit and enjoy the ducks swimming about.

The sign on arrival promised great things or at least hinted at a former glory.

Its also a reminder that not only polish and eastern europeans have a taste for coarse fish!!

The lake itself is an old resorvoir which once fed a canal running into croydon. Now however, with the canal being long since gone, it serves as a park pond for fishing and duck feeding along with a resident sailing club. It has two distinct ends, The boat house and Island at the entrance end and the railway end, which is deeper but all but open water with a few overhanging trees along the margins. Heres a view of the boathouse and island,

and heres the raiway bank view,

Complete with loch ness monster!!

On my first visit, I picked a swim in the corner on the railway bank where the wind was blowing into. to my left I had a deep water marker about two rod lengths from the bank and an attractive looking overhanging tree. I applied a mix of dead maggots and sloppy spod mix around the mark and fished a rod over the top with the other tucked under the tree with a pva bag of pellets. Through the day I tryed all manner of hookbaits and presentations and despite bubbles appearing sporadically around the baited areas I failed to get a response.

I did notice a few bits topping over the course of the afternoon and having witnessed two netter size roach being consumed by the cormarants, decided to come back the following sunday to fish for silvers.

The pegs on this lake are beautifully constructed out of a garden decking material. Each one has its own gate and set of steps leading down to the waters edge. They are very spacious and can easily accomadate two anglers on several of them. Also they are well spaced around the three banks from which you can fish, the top bank being kept for use by the sailing club. Here is the other corner peg I chose for my second session.

To cut to the point, despite fishing the whip, waggler and feeder and scaling down to size 20 fine wire hooks with single maggot and pieces of red worm, I failed to even bring back so much as a sucked maggot.

By that point I was ready to call it quits and had my wireless router not broke down when I got home, would have posted this report then declaring I would never go again.

Having done a little research on the place it seems they had a very big fish kill some years ago due to blue green algae. They had installed areators but being a council property they had not been running them (to save cash no doubt) stating the birds had began nesting on them meaning they could not be used. Another thing I read on the council website is that around three years ago they had netted 'hundreds of pounds of the anglers favourite fish - the carp', in an effort to stop the people who insisted night fishing after hours. As I said in another post, we are our own worst enemy. Finally on my way back to the gate I looked at the island to see this,

At least a dozen cormarants in the trees on the island. My guess is whatever was left after all the previous decimation had now been mopped up by those menaces. Personally, I think anyone who thinks these birds are not a big problem and in need of severely culling, have not witnessed first hand the devestation they can have on a fishery when left, in numbers, to their own devices. This is not the first time I have seen them eating their way through already scarse fish stocks. Take a wlk along the Thames or wandle and you will spot them eating fish in places anglers struggle to even get a bite. They are ruthlessly efficient predators.

By the end of the first day back at work, I had convinced myself this absence of small fish could be used to my advantage. So began my planning and research into maggot rigs for big carp. I settled on a simple tactic of threading 20 grubs onto cotton and tying them to a hair rig. I attached a pva stocking full of wriggly maggots to the lead to get it down quick and knicked the hook into the end of the bag to avoid tangles. The presentation was perfect, something I will use again at other venues. However despite travelling very light and dropping two rigs in various likely looking spots in three swims, I again failed to even get a suck on my maggots.

My final swim was the island and having cast two rigs tight to the overhanging tree lined margin without a touch, I decided there is definately a distinct lack of small fish. Any where else, if I had of cast a writhing ball of maggots and left it next to an island for over an hour, I would have expected it to come back at least partially damaged.

Its a real shame, I didnt pay on any of the trips but, the dayticket is only 4.20 and a season is less than 60 but, with no fish to show for all that work it begs the question, where has all the money recieved so far, from both anglers and boaters gone? The algae comes each year and is potentially hazardous to health, the air pumps are not maintained or ran and most importantly for me, there are very few fish. It once upon a time must have been a lovely place to fish but, yet again its a sign of a local council taking from the pot without putting anything back in. A very sorry state of affairs.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

big bream
scott

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 October 2009 :  10:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Send big bream an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add big bream to your friends list

very sad super ted but typical of a local council

Go to Top of Page

kennyx
Life Member

Surrey
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  1:09:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kennyx to your friends list

If the comerants could be got rid off - this lake would be perfect for a club to take over.

I fished there loads in my teens - caught nothing except skimmer bream and roach (the was the 70's)!

Go to Top of Page

LEEMANS
Life Member

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  5:38:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LEEMANS to your friends list

OMG this bought back memories...
I fished here when I was a kid too!!!
Roach and skimmers as I recall !!!!!
Looks so nice.....Maybe I'll go for a walk round it soon!!!
It's probaby 30 minutes from me now!!!!
But had forgot all about it!!!!
Nice report matey!!!

Go to Top of Page

lesson2ya
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
England

Posted - 19 October 2009 :  10:00:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lesson2ya to your friends list

Fished this a lot as a kid in the 80's used to get the 68 bus with all me kit. There used to be fantastic roach and silver bream catches. I used to fish a bubble float with a 6" hooklengthsize 18 hook single maggot and it worked like a bolt rig with a 6m fibreglass pole. You could catch average 6oz - 8oz roach up to 50 a session. Those "were" the days.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

sarto
complete blanker

Surrey
England

Posted - 22 October 2009 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sarto to your friends list

Damn shame would have made a nice cheap local venue. What's gone wrong with stewpond? I thought you normally do well there?

Go to Top of Page

amphibianalf

Gt. London
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  6:53:49 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amphibianalf to your friends list

hi super ted..
did we meet at norwood the other week ..???
was you stalking with 2 rods with red maggot balls..
we were talking to a guy who had some pics on him of a fishery called crowhurst..
i packed up when you were trying the island swim, so ya never had any luck either...
as you said its a shame coz it is a very nice venue for its location, i have seen pics of big commons from the swim i was in on the blokes phone but god only knows how old the pics were, he said they were caught at the beginning of summer, i'm starting to wonder..
i think that will be the last session i have there ...back to beaver for me, shame coz i live only 10 mins away .......ATB....AL.

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 October 2009 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

It's a crying shame how badly it's declined. 30-35 years ago you could sack up on good quality roach and skimmers on the waggler and proper slabs around the 4-5lbs fishing flake in conjunction with the feeder on the swingtip.
Another sad loss is the Boating Lake at Crystal Palace now totally inaccessible to angling courtesy of Bromley Council .
Both venues that are no more than 10 minutes from my front door .

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

landau1945
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  6:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit landau1945's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add landau1945 to your friends list

Crystal Palace Boating Lake-now that brings back memories of my formative years in the sixties..Is that the one with the big dinosaur statues on the bank?I lived in Clapham and we used to take the No 2 bus and walk down through the park.A coffee tin full of ''gentles'' would keep us occupied all day with roach and perch and gudgeon.
I also recall walking past a lovely looking smaller lake which had a fence round it and lily pads.All very mysterious.Must have been a private club water.Any info? Is it still there?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 31 October 2009 :  7:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by landau1945

I also recall walking past a lovely looking smaller lake which had a fence round it and lily pads.All very mysterious.Must have been a private club water.Any info? Is it still there?

That's the lake that's controlled by Crystal Palace AA. Strictly members only and a long waiting list.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

gibby
Life Member

Kent

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gibby to your friends list

Its a pity about the lake at Crystal Palace being closed to anglers. Thanks a bunch Bromley Council. I hear on the grapevine that Bromley council, who have already banned fishing at one of the three ponds at Keston, want to do the same with the other two as well.

Go to Top of Page

arkwright
FlyingCarpetPilot

Lancashire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 November 2009 :  11:08:20 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arkwright to your friends list

I know its a bit off topic but isnt south norwood where there used to be a b and q above a car showroom or garage on the high street with a little curved ramp up to it

The bright spark who decided to open one there wanted something painful doing to him

Used to go there delivering and it was a right bitch to back a trailer into the access up that ramp,used to have go over the far pavements to get any chance of getting an angle to get in,caused absolute chaos to pedestrians and traffic and blocked the whole b and q car park off while you were unloading

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.