The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 15)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 15)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 November 2003 :  9:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

Yet again it's time for the start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 14)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14 now add up to 1400+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

So if you're new, bored or just have an hour or eight spare, take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

It might be cold outside but carry on fishing

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

ohbodder

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ohbodder's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ohbodder to your friends list

As part of the celebrations for my fortieth birthday my wife and I arranged a few days away in Ludlow at a cottage which conveniently had it's own fishing rights on the River Teme. We arrived late Sunday afternoon and after unpacking went for a short walk along the river bank and our hearts sank. The river looked very shallow, very clear and devoid of any life.
So when I began to fish the next morning I didn't hold out much hope of success. I spent 20 minutes in one spot without any chance of a bite I could see my maggots as they trotted through an empty swim time after time, but twenty yards downstream there was a small splash on the surface so I decided to go and try there.
Again the swim was crystal clear but the bottom was a little less even and deeper in parts so it seemed worth a trot or two. Second trot down the float disappeared, I thought I had hooked the bottom as as I struck the line tightened and felt solid, but a few seconds later 'the bottom' started to fight back, a fish!!!! Only one problem, my landing net was about 10 yards behind me up the bank, so what was potentially my biggest ever chub by far had to be beached to land it. Soon a 3lb 6oz; dwarfing my previous best of a mere 10oz, was on the bank.
Now I was filled with confidence, if a fish that big could hide in a clear river like this what else was out there. With my landing net now beside me I was ready to find out.
A few trots later the float dipped again, and I struck into something smaller but nonetheless it provided a good fight and soon a 10oz grayling was in the net; my first grayling and the main reason for the trip.

Ten minutes later another grayling (12oz) was in the net followed a couple of minutes later by a small brown trout, only 2oz but again it was a first and one of the reasons for being there.

By lunch time I had bagged 9 grayling to 13oz, 4 brown trout, the chub and a minnow.
After lunch the fish got smaller, the first five fish were four minnows and a 2oz grayling. I eventually finished the afternoon session after a couple of hours with 4 trout to 3oz, 2 grayling to 7oz and 8 minnows.
The next morning things were a bit harder, I had to battle with a group of five ducks who, whenever I threw a handful of maggots into the swim would swim by, dive down and pick them all off the bottom! Bites were few and far between, in a four hour session and changing swim several times to avoid the ducks I landed 4 grayling to 8oz, 5 trout to 2oz and 5 minnows, one greedy one taking double red maggot and spitting out more maggots when it was unhooked. A 1¼ hour afternoon session, brought just one grayling so by 2.15 I was ready to call it a day, I packed my rods away and then threw my remaining maggots (about two handfuls) into the river about 7-8 feet from the bank and watched to see how far the current would take them, only to see two large chub appear from nowhere and hoover the lot up!!!
I had booked the holiday with the hope of catching my first grayling and trout, and perhaps catching a decent chub and I have succeded in doing all three. After several years of catching the odd weekend on local carp fisheries a couple of days trotting a small river was like a breath of fresh air, two new species and two personal bests (even the minnows were big) can't be bad; being forty isn't too bad after all.

Rob Hancock (you can just about see me in the middle of the following photo)

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  7:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Posted by Haydn:

Teepee's Secret Lake

Monday 7.30am, set off down the M1 to meet Teepee at the car park of Ulley reservour. Arrived at 8.45am (bad traffic on M1 )and saw Teepee crossing the car park. He had been to check some pegs. He explained that Dave Senior was going to join us but was also caught up in the traffic. We waited about fifteen minutes for Dave to arrive and set off down to the pegs. I set up my telescopic rod with a bubble float and lobbed in a half sardine out by some reeds. The other rod I set up on the buzzer and ledgered 2 lobworms on a size 12 hook. ( Hopeing for a large Perch or a Bream ). Two hours and 10 fags later......nothing not a knock twitch or buzz. I looked to see how Teepee was doing. He was chatting with Dave as neither of them were doing anything either.

I changed my ledger to a trace and tried ledgered Sardine.....nothing.
Dave had a run and missed it. It broke his rod. ( he hadn't pushed one section far enough into the other.) And what was Teepee doing.....what Teepee does best......resting

We stayed till about 3.30 and set off home. This is deffinatly Teepee's secret lake. it's that secret the Bloody fish don't even know where it is. Still it was better than working and the company was good. Thanks Teepee and Dave for a nice day looking at a lake....LOL.

Haydn.
Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  8:43:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Haydn i might of been resting but i did have my eyes open waiting & ready like a coiled spring for old essox to bite,

unlike you Hayden...

not much to add to Hayden's report, with the wind blowing hard and rain forecast we got in pegs that were more favourable for comfort, should we have fished the deeper water who knows, the company was good thanks to Hayden & Davidsenior just sorry the pike didn't oblige.

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

susie Q
' Nora '

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 November 2003 :  9:44:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add susie Q to your friends list

These pictures look like something from "Last of the Summer Wine"
Hayden as Compo, Dave (with that flat cap) must be Cleggy, so Teepee
must Foggy???

BRILLIANT

When are you filming again boys !!!!

cyanide sue.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 November 2003 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Susie/Nora Batty you could well feature in the next episode

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Slick
'eyebrows'

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 05 November 2003 :  12:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Slick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Slick to your friends list

That looks like my kind of fishing, lie back and think of England, saves all that annoying baiting up and casting out.

Go to Top of Page

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 November 2003 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

Winterset Reservoir 9th November 2003............................ Red Leader got a nice pike of 10b 8onz and I just beat him with this one of 11lb8onz.
Stu just came along for the breakfast and to sit and chat to Red Leader ( he did try to catch but no luck ). Teepee and Little Willy made up our five but they didn't manage anything either. STILL with a TOTAL weight of 22lb I guess the Tykes beat the Geordies again.....LOL You should have come down Norm I said I could show you how to catch Pike ...LOL By the way meet Compo2 .... guess who???? .

Haydn.
Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints

Edited by - haydn.borthwick on 09 November 2003 8:26:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 November 2003 :  9:02:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

that picture looks a bit Foggy to me lol

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

haydn.borthwick
Compo

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 November 2003 :  9:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit haydn.borthwick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add haydn.borthwick to your friends list

nice one teepee......LOL

Haydn.
Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints.

Go to Top of Page

susie Q
' Nora '

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 November 2003 :  11:40:11 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add susie Q to your friends list

Yesterday, Dave and I went to Oxbow Lake at Cundall Farm
near Topcliffe. You pay at the farm (or leave mney in the
box)£4 each. This covers you for fishing the river also.
After entering the farm (through gate 1)then through the field,
(gate 2) we drove round to the far side there were lots of
features and reeds and over hanging trees.Seemed very Pikey and it must be full of fish. You can drive to your peg ,BUT it's a long steep bank down to the water. Ok,if you can carry all your tackle or are travelling light and you are as fit as a lop.

It was a dry day but foggy (or should I say Teepee).
We set up a Pike rod each on dead bait( joey Mackeral )
on an alarm and float fished in between takes.....??
The water wasn't very deep (about 3 ft) where I was fishing and Dave's peg not much better.
Well after a couple of hours and no fish caught,not a twitch on the float or a beep of an alarm, I caught Dave nodding on his box. He decided to have a nap. Wearing his new specimen suit (bib and brace and jacket) he said it keeps out the rain and the wind and it also keeps the WIND IN LoL!
Another hour passes....no bites! Dave wakes up and we decide to move round the bend to his left.There is just one other guy fishing and he was catching decent Perch and small Roach. The water was about 9ft deep there, so we set up again with same rods. We saw some fish swirling and topping and thought we'd do better here.Another hour passed ,then another.....NOTHING.
Six hours we were there and ........WE BLANKED

I was begining to think it was one of Teepee's secret places(the one the fish don't know about LoL !)
Disheartened we came home.

TUESDAY...............
today just to use up the bait,we went down to Hirstwood at Saltaire and fished the canal just below the lock gates. they had damned the lock as they were fixing the gates and were running the water off on to our side via a pipe.
We set up the Pike rods,mine first and after 10 mins I was into a Pike.I got it right to the bank but it let go of the bait.
Another half hour passed and the same thing happend again!
We both fished pole today as well (I need the practise) I caught a Perch a Roach and an Ide weighing about 3/4 of a pound and at the third attempt I got a Pike about 5lb.
This time it stayed on!
Dave got a smashing Ide about 1lb plus,and one about 10oz, Roach to 10oz and a few Perch. A dozen fish in all.
I sat on Dave's box used his pole while he answered a call of nature and caught my first Ide, a nice fish for a canal.
Dave beat me on numbers,.. BUT ..I beat him on weight, thanks to Jack (Pike).

A good 4 hours winter canal fishing made up for Monday LoL.
Sorry no pictures 'puter is still playing up and didn't take the other camera

cyanide sue.

Edited by - susie Q on 12 November 2003 12:45:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 November 2003 :  11:17:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Nora nice report and you go steady holding Dave'sCleggy's pole,
sounds as though you enjoyed it on the canal and some nice fish and well done with the pike,

you caught Dave having a nap he hasn't bought one of the Compo sleeping bags has he

you'll have to get a digi camera photo evidence is always good,
look forward to the next report and now its getting cold get them stockings rolled up

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

icarpdaily
'Dancey'

Bristol
England

Posted - 15 November 2003 :  7:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit icarpdaily's Homepage  Click to see icarpdaily's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add icarpdaily to your friends list

Today i went to Biterwell lake.

Got my Maver Grimmer out. PLumbed up at 9.5m. Found a nice lil bump/shelf.

Fished chopped worm and caster laced with maggots. Fished worm, maggot and caster on the hook (at dif times)

Had a skimmer in five hours. Got well pi**ed off so i moved.

I plumbed again. There was no features so i fished straight out in front.

Again chop.I think i over fed my first swim.

Had a few small bites. Struck nothing.

The float started playing around.

I wobbled the mags a bit.

A slow roach like bite came.

The float moved to the side then rocketed off under.

I struck into what i thought was a small carp or a bream.

I played it to the net. The fish had two feet of No 12 lastic out the end of my pole.

As it came close to my net i noticed it was a HUGE perch.

It was nearlry a foot long. It had more of a pikes body than a perch.

It wayed in at 2lb 1oz.

It beat my existing P.B of 7oz.

Tom.

Wheres my float oh my god wheres my float, oh yeah im ledger fishing.
"I, d rather be dead than cool " Curt Cobain.
"It's better to burn out than fade away" Curt cobain.
Maggotdrowner's the only place to be when your not on the Bank.
Junior Angling Forum.
Pinkie Drowners

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 17 November 2003 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Well what a weekend!!!

First off it was down to Hartleylands farm to meet Dave the Fish and the lads of Marsh AC for their club match on Finches Pond.
Dave had kindly invited me to come along and fish as a guest,so who was i to refuse.
An 8 am draw in the car park,and a brief chat with Vince (vg1037) the bailiff,who unfortunately wouldn't be fishing with us,saw the pegs allocated and of we strolled to set up.

Looking down over Finches....

It's a lovely little intimate pond,with only about a dozen pegs on it,and nearly everyone was occupied.I must admit that i had some reservations as to whether it would be able to handle this sort of pressure,as it's more a pleasure venue in my eyes.
Still nothing ventured..........the pond itself holds a good head of fish,Carp up to 28lb, including good number of "high doubles", roach up to 1.5lb, skimmer bream, perch and chub up to 4lb,and of course Eric the Eel,who when last caught weighed 7lb.
I arrived at my peg,No4 and was faced with a good 16 mtrs to the far bank cover,possibly the widest swim on the pond,now given the fact that the peg is reached by about 15 steps down through trees and i was only guesting i wasn't about to spend all day shipping a pole back uphill,out came the waggler rod (shock horror ) mind you i did set up a margin swim to tackle with a margin pole and some swimstim paste.

Peg 4...

Well come the off,and the pace wasn't exactly electric,and with 5 of us almost fishing the same bit of water,there was plenty of banter ( P*** taking) especially as Dave was on peg 2 and Colin was on peg 5.
A little further up the pool a few fish started to show after the hour mark,but nobody was setting the place alight,mostly just small roach putting in an appearance.
A while later Dave wandered round for yet another chat,by which time i had the margin pole out with a big bit of paste.As we chatted the float did a little dance and decided to vanish and my astonished strike met with an immoveable object,then the rig sprang back with a large scale firmly attached to the hook.
I was sure that i could hear laughter as Dave returned to his peg.
The day was wearing on and it was still all to play for with anyone that managed a good last hour in with a chance.
No more action on the paste,so back out on the waggler to see if a few more roach would play,away went the float and this wasn't the expected roach!!!!!
Now on a 2lb bottom and size 20 a little care was called for,and after 5 minutes of supremely skillfull playing a 10lb mirror was safely in the net.(Hopefully Dave managed to get a photo.)
I'd love to say that things picked up from there,but it was not to be, just a few more small roach for me,but Dave had the good last hour and managed 6 carp to pick up the win,while my 11½lbs left me somewhere in midfield.

A shy winner on Peg 2...

Still thanks to the lads at Marsh AC for an enjoyable day,shame about the crash on the A21 though that meant it took me nearly 3 hours to get home.

And so to Sunday............

A club match at Framfield Fisheries on Brookhouse lake.
At the draw we always run a football sweep to raise club funds and yours truely won it (£28 nice )
Into the draw and it's peg 30 for me,a peg with no real form and on reaching it i have to say i wasn't inspired,as the water was icy despite the sun the previous day and the colour appeared to be dropping out of it.

Peg 30

Well i had a plumb around but couldn't find a feature but with the most depth at 11-13 mtrs that was going to be the line of attack.
Meat is the going bait there at the moment,so it was going to be a question of just dripping in a bit at a time through a kinder pot,meat at 11mtrs and caster at 13mtrs with a couple of margin swims as a get out of jail job.

Well the lake was flat calm with nothing showing,all the action took place on the opposite side of the island,only odd little roach and skimmers showing on my side.

Still Life...

Well come the weigh-in and i've managed a meagre 3½lbs of small silvers for another midway finish, but there in the net lay a small Rudd of 2ozs.We run a Fish of the Day competition ( another of our treasurers little money making schemes), and guess who won another £10 for Fish of the Day.So at least i walked away £38 better off than i'd started the day.

Well that's it for my weekend,How was yours?

Peter.

The English put their women on pedestals,
The Welsh put them on their national flag.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

dave the fish
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  7:51:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave the fish to your friends list

Well under threat of being locked out I am forced to show this picture just to prove that Peter is not just a garden gnome and can catch fish on a rod and line.
Please note that the leaf hiding his face was a pure accident. HONEST would I deliberately do that.

Still it was a nice fish on his roach gear as well.
Well done Peter

Dave

Grandad Dave

JINX Squad member 2007 to 2015
Rolfs 100lb+ club member
100+ JINX Club member
MDs Rolfs Pairs Champions 2009
MDS Southern Pairs Champions 2008

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 18 November 2003 :  10:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Nice one Peter and Dave, it's just a shame you didn't have a leaf for the second picture as well

Dave

Free MD's Stickers

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 23 November 2003 :  3:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Leaf? A whole bush would have been preferable!

(only jokin Peter)

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 24 November 2003 :  01:06:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Good reports and pictures 1 and all.

Venue : Stockton Res
Date : 23/11/03
Time : 10am till 3pm

Today saw Steve and myself at a loose end with no matches (well there was 1 on the Avon but not our cup of tea).

We settled for a session at Stockton as neither of us had been over since October and as we both fancied a day on the feeder rather than the pole off we set.

First stop was The Pantry Café on the A45 for a bit of breakfast (that was MY best bite of the day).

When we got to Stockton Steve sat on peg 8 (even if he was casting to the end of the island in front on peg 10) and i sat on 7.

We never really expected much in the way of action as the water was a good 2½ft down which at it’s deepest would give us about 2ft of water and with a cool wind and rain we both knew bite’s would be at a premium (for me anyway) but hey we were at Stockton so we did not care.

Steve fished “The Method” to the end of the island (in front of peg 10) with “Yellow” Boilie as the main bait and first chuck and his tip flew round which resulted in a spirited fight from a 4lb Mirror (good start).

Steve in action with a 4lb Mirror before i was even set up
(nothing new there i hear you all say)

Whilst Steve was doing this as normal i was still setting up, i fished a cage feeder towards the island in front of me (after loosing the ledger on my first range finding cast on to the island ).

Steve carried on in fine form and ended the day by landing 5 Carp (but he did lose 3 ) with the smallest he had being a baby 3lb Common and the biggest a fine 11lb Common.

1 of the Commons Steve had was this one we called it Dolphin Face

And here it is in close up (without the ugly one).

There was not a mark around its mouth or head it’s just the way it is.

There are so many different shapes and sizes of carp in Stockton ranging from long lean commons to the rugby ball shaped mirrors and just about every shape in between.

And now we have the Dolphin as well.
Does this mean we're now boilie boys as we've named a fish

Well as for how i got on i managed 1 Chub about 1lb on catmeat and also managed to lose a carp after casting to where Steve was fishing (well it just had to be done).

Steve ended up the 5 Carp for a total weight of 33lb to my 1lb so i think he just about BATTERED ME.

At least i know it’s my turn to batter him next week (well he has got to work)

Go to Top of Page

scott essery
'Silver man'

United Kingdom

Posted - 24 November 2003 :  10:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott essery's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add scott essery to your friends list

Sounds like you two had a good time yesterday, despite the cold!

Those fish at Stockton sure are mutants but the thing that springs to mind is the coincidence that Steve has won a Lime tree match AND thrashed the Jinx twice in two outings.

Make of that what you will

The Silver Man

Go to Top of Page

steve wilson
Life Member

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 November 2003 :  1:59:21 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve wilson to your friends list

excuse me mr doyle
the fish was described as DOLPHIN SHAPED and not named dolphin
im not sad enough to name fish i just try to described wot the look like
P.S.hi scott i thought you were hibernating by now

Go to Top of Page

scott essery
'Silver man'

United Kingdom

Posted - 24 November 2003 :  10:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott essery's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add scott essery to your friends list

Awwwe thats nice.

Calling those pet stockton fish of yours names now is kinda cute.

what other names have you given them?

The Silver Man

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.64 seconds.