The Maggotdrowners Forum - DISABLED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ITALY
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Disabled Angling
 DISABLED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ITALY
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  10:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add dirk to your friends list

DISABLED WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Last weekend I had the privilege to witness some of the most spectacular fishing performances I have ever seen, by Englandís top disabled match anglers, in the form of Team England and eight other countries at the World Disabled Championships in Italy. The venue was: Lake Borghese at Monsummano in Tuscany. This Man made 5acre Lake was Square with a huge Island splitting the lake into two halves.
The England team comprised of: Martin Kershaw, an amputee from Rochdale and backed by Tri-cast, this was Martins first time in the England squad and after his superb performance it will not be his last.

Stefan Gent having limited use in one arm from Bury heís getting an old hand at international level now, he had the chance of Gold after day 1 with 1 point but unfortunately it was not to be and finished with 9 points in total. Third member of the team was: John Dunn from Hertfordshire, John was one of the original squad members from several years ago, and the only wheel-chair angler in the team. The final man in the team was Keith Williamson from Merseyside, Keith who fishes with only the use of one arm is another experienced international, and finally Alan Marsden form N/ Ireland Alan was unlucky not to make the final 4 man team but played an important role for the team as a bank runner on both days.
The matches on both days are held over 3 hours under strict rules, with a fish tally being written up each hour on the board behind each angler by the Marshal and through the use of a bank runner this information is passed on to the coach. Each angler has a helper but is restricted in how much help he can receive by his disability.
During the practice days prior to the final two-day competition England had dominated, and comfortably looked like winning a medal. By constantly catching hard fighting grass carp up to 8 kilo with their incredibly accurate use of long range 10-18 gram waggler fishing.
And I mean accurate, how many of you can constantly cast and feed at 40- mtrs hitting your float with sticky-mag and then change to ground bait and do the same? Some may say easy! Letís make the scenario a bit more difficult letís cut off one arm, or give you some other disability, have a Marshal sat behind you watching your every move, not to mention the crowd and Dave Vincent the coach, Iím scared all ready, add high winds gusting to gale force (a porta-loo ended up in the field) and to top it all torrential rain. All of the practice days had been held in glorious sunshine, with little to no wind at all; they hadnít had any rain for 4 months.
To fish at International level, takes not only nerves of steel and a great deal of skill, which the team had plenty of but shear determination to do well. Even though their result was 6th place you could take none of their qualities away from them, as the result was only due to the weather change, I for one was very proud of the team and their performance.

Weíve all had bad draws, but to draw a bad peg then draw the next peg to it on day 2, thatís what England had to endure. The weights came off the same pegs on both days, as usual end pegs with our lads sat in the middle of the sections. The biggest weight of the championships came from Orlando Basto 43 from Portugal; with 11.620k he finished overall Winner with gold having amassed only 3 points over the 2 days. Winning silver individual medal was Czech Republic Pavelka also with 3points but with a lower weight. Bronze medal went to Portugalís Antonio Alcada another 3 pointer but again the weight came into play.

The teamís results were:
1st Portugal 23 points
2nd Czeck Republic 28 points (29,760k)
3rd France 28 points (21.600k)
4th Italy 30 points (27.280k)
5th Belgium 30 points (20.180k)
6th England 46 points
7th Bosnia 52 points
8th Slovenia 54 points
9th Germany 69 points

It was an experience I shall never forget, the camaraderie between the anglers from all the different countries was brilliant. On Friday the day before the match the Italians closed the middle of Monsummano for the opening of the event, with the teams parading through the town proudly waving their flags followed by the opening speeches, which took place from a rostrum in the town square.

On the evening of the final day we all 100 plus, went to a huge villa in Monsummano for the presentation, where we tucked into a traditional Italian 12-course meal and sampled their fine wines. The presentation took place in a separate room across the olive-tree-clad courtyard, where every nation joined in to congratulate the winning teams and pass memorabilia between themselves fantastic!
Next year Slovenia ďCome on EnglandĒ

Edited by - dirk on 11 October 2003 11:18:56 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Robbo

Sussex
England

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  11:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Robbo's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Robbo to your friends list

Hi Dirk,

I must congratulate you on a fine write up. and, Most of all, well done to all the lads in the team.

Tight Lines

Robbo

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Cracking report & pictures Dirk.
Well done to all the England boys and indeed all the competitors.

Peter.

The English put their women on pedestals,
The Welsh put them on their national flag.

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 11 October 2003 :  11:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

England Individual Results

13th. Stefan Gent (Bury)
16th. Martin Kershaw, (Rochdale)
26th. John Dunn (New Barnet)
27th. Keith Williamson (/Wirral)

Peter.

The English put their women on pedestals,
The Welsh put them on their national flag.

Go to Top of Page

Vince G
Hop Along

Kent
England

Posted - 12 October 2003 :  12:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vince G's Homepage  Click to see Vince G's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Vince G to your friends list

CONGRATULATIONS TEAM ENGLAND

Hi Dirk,

Firstly, as usual a brilliant report on what proved to be a match fished in the most difficult of conditions. Congratulations to all the lads who represented the team, especially Martin Kershaw who has had a fantastic season.

Having fished against all these guys I know just how good they are and how proud they were to be representing England at the World Champs.

Lets hope next year the team have a little more luck and bring home the Gold.

Vince

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 12 October 2003 :  05:12:32 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

Well done to all the anglers & helpers who took part from all the countries (& dirk)
Good write up dirk

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football
www.fishingvenues.com

Go to Top of Page

owlsangling1
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 October 2003 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit owlsangling1's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add owlsangling1 to your friends list

Dirk, as always an excelent report. From the sounds of things the lads did really well to even fish in those conditions, not only the weather but as you say all the additional pressures they were under, and I think they all deserve massive congratulations from all of us...Did Martin not tell the others of the benifits of using LARD? .

Tight Lines and use LARD

Stuart Harrison

Go to Top of Page

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 12 October 2003 :  10:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dirk to your friends list

Stuart!
It's only a rumour but you might find that Martin has gone continental on us and is now using extra virgin olive oil (Huile d'olive vierge extra) that's so Martin can understand.

Go to Top of Page

owlsangling1
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  11:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit owlsangling1's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add owlsangling1 to your friends list

Dirky Darling,

How does he keep it on the hook?

Stuart

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 13 October 2003 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dirk to your friends list

Stuart! You know as well as I do it doesn't go on the hook.
OH! S**t sorry didn't mean to let the secret SLIP-OUT OIL? SLIP?
NO? you don't have to.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  01:47:44 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Well done to all the team
and
Well done to Dirk for the report

One question though Dirky are you now on the turn towards the NFA

If so i refuse to suffer yet another night curled up with you

Go to Top of Page

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 October 2003 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dirk to your friends list

Malc we were there to support the Lads and our country.
Just because they were all BDAA members 2 of which are BDAA managers
and BDAA got the support vehicle and the BDAA chairman drove the van 2000k to support the team.
Just lending a hand no change in loyalties. Last week I worked with 4 great lads who happen to be NFA coaches, we all taught a group of adults with learning difficulties which was organised by the EA in Hertford.
quote:
If so i refuse to suffer yet another night curled up with you

You loved every minute of it

Thats why you want to move to Wales so you can re-live the experience.
do me a favour though find some where better than Tesco's car-park.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2020 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.08 seconds.