The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 13)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 13)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 June 2003 :  5:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

The start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 13)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 now add up to 1200+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

So if you're new and have an hour or six spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Happy posting

Dave

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Polepot
Poles

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 June 2003 :  6:49:04 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polepot to your friends list

Today saw me go in search of Grass carp. I went ot Eclipse Fishery near Leighton Buzzard.

It was hot and cloudless and many of the fish were up in the water so I started on pellet on a slow sinking rig but it was soon clear that they were not going to play with this approach.

I changed to feeding a fast sinking pellet and fishing corn on the hook and I was soon into my first carp a common of about 5lbs. The sim then went very quiet to I made up a paste using some of my expander pellets and a little PV1 this resulted in a nice Ghost Carp followed by 2 Mirrors and another 4 Commons.

This was the first time I have fished the venue but I shall be back no pistures guys camera batterty was flat.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 29 June 2003 :  8:29:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

well last night teatime i got fed up with the 2 females in the house bickering at each other.
so chucked a bit of tackle & bait in car & decided to have a night session on Peterborough embnkment so when i got there found notice for a match this morning to practice for next weeks winter lge
so to save ay problem i went down to north bank on the nene about 2 -3 mile away .
Well i havnt fished this stretch for quite a few years so just dropped in on peg 191 of about 500.
there always used to be some bream in this area also the chance of a good river carp
I set up 2 rods, 1 on ordinary quiver with g/bait feeder double maggot on hook, second one was a 2.5 carp rod large g/bait feeder 2 halfs lobworm on hook.
straight away i balled in about 2kilo of old g/bait that i had got out freezer which consisted of several types of g/bait & virtualy every type loosefeed in as well wher when i have any bait left over from a session i just put it in a bucket in my freezer just for balling in.
any way first fish on quiver was small perch about 6 ozs followed shortly after by another 3 points for race in the shape of this

whilst bringing this in a pike shot out from under my feet & attempted to intercept it but missed .
so straight away i set up another rod for pike but problem was i hadnt brought any deadbait, so a quick use of very sharp scisors & theres a nice section of eel mounted & cast out about 8 ft from edge.
five minutes later i slide the net under this pike that went just over 7lbs

well during the night i had about 15 eels plus about a dozen skimmers about 1lb apiece heres 3 of them

most of the above were on double maggot on quiver i didnt get any sign of carp but these averaging about 4 1/2 lb each fell to the lobworm rod

anyway i called it a day at 0700 & was well happy with the result

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football
www.fishingvenuesuk.co.uk

Edited by - martin. on 29 June 2003 8:32:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

The Witness
Life Member

Essex
England

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  09:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Witness's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add The Witness to your friends list

Hi Nick,
Is Eclipse the fishery signposted off the Hockliffe/Leighton road?
How did you find out it held grass carp?
Cheers,
Richard.

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 01 July 2003 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Yesterday saw me fishing our annual match on the Goldrush Lake of the Willows, nr York and what a day to pick...

We arrived there just after 8.30am and there was a Met Office warning on the radio for drivers in Yorkshire to be careful because of heavy rain storms - nah it's not going to hit us, it'll pass over, cause it will - it didn't

We drew pegs at 9.00am and made our way to the swims. The minute I got there the heavens opened. My initial thought was sod the brolley, I'm under a tree and this'll give me enough shelter. That was until the tree became soaked and the rain started coming through it. I hastily grabbed the brolley and set it up just in time for the 10.00am start. Boy was I glad I did because the rain kept up for the whole six hours of the match. The lake even rose by 2.5 inches !!
Added to that everytime I shipped my pole in, the water came off it onto my leg which became drenched.

Slightly to my left and about 3m out was a small island, beyond that a larger one and inbetween a little passage which i could reach the side of with my pole.
After plumming the depth I found that at most I had 2ft in front of me so the passage seemed like it would be the best spot. Out went a cup of pellets and bits and straight away I was into a little Tench, followed by a few more and then a Carp of around 2lb - wahay I thought, I'm onto a flyer despite the rain.

I should have kept my thoughts to myself though because with the water being so shallow, the carp spooked everything in there and the bites dried up.
Not to panic, out went some more loose and it wasn't long before another tench was hooked and into the net. Several more followed and then another carp and then another quiet spell.
More feed, sat and waited, another few tench.
This is pretty much how it went all day - a few tench, a carp, quiet, feed, tench, carp, quiet, feed, etc
I did try feeding a seperate line to see if switching would make a difference but I could buy a bite elsewhere

Nothing big but plenty of them including a couple of suprise golden tench and a chub <no photos though as it was too wet>

The rain kept up all day as well and at times it was torrential which led to the water rising by 2.5 inches !! and seeing as how I could only get bites just on the bottom I had to keep plumming the depths and adjusting my rig through out the day.

By 4.00pm I was drenched through and it was still raining. So off with the scales and with a little help, did the weighing in just so that I could get wetter lol

Next time Peter remind me to take some water proofs BEFORE I go not afterwards lol

Dave

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 02 July 2003 :  1:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

At last a days fishing,we that it Kieth, Eric,and me went to a small lake at Cartama,

this was yesturday,this is a very small lake,only about 12 swims,there is to many fish in it,(i think)it is very had to keep away from small carp of about 1lb and gold fish about 1/2lb,so the best method is large baits,but the small ones still manage to get it in there mouths some how, ha ha, anyway we did get a few good fish from 3lbs to 12lbs,

first pic is me with a nice one,then Eric with his Pb 9lb8oz this is the ideal venue to take youngsters,it is almost inpossible not to catch,the owner has put in some Japanese carp(thats the name he called them,)what do you think,?

i caught these two and Eric got this,

but this is possibly a gold fish??it was a crazy day the fish feed all day,and it was in the nineties,loads of cream on and the brolli up,but still got burn to a crisp,ha ha if i said we all caught possibly between 80 and 100 each,i dont think im exaggerating,?

this one is me with a 12lb one,and here is Keith having a good day,

at the end of the day thrown in some crusts and the water just boiled,so good day had,today im knackerd,so im going to sit in the shade and think about the three that got me in the lillypads,its a shame that you cant fish light there,but it would not be fair to the fish,to many places for them to run to,

A river is water in its loveliest form ;;

Go to Top of Page

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

The last two evenings I popped down to my local club stretch of the River Lea next to Stanborough lake. I fished free-lined slugs and lobs on a size 6 hook both sessions and also a single swan link ledger with lobs the first evening after I ran out of slugs.

Across the two trips I had 30 chub, one small barbel and a roach. Most of the chub were around the ½ - 1 lbs mark although about 4 or 5 were 2lbs and one nearer 3 lbs.The barbel was only 2lbs, but it the first I have caught from this part of the river.

On the first trip I caught 5 chub out of one swim with the same slug in about 20 minutes!!

One of the 2lb fish was really weird. It had the head and mouth of a 4 pounder, but the body of a 2 pounder. I should have taken a picture, but I tend to unhook them in the net and release immediately, unless they are big enough to weigh.

It never ceases to amaze me how chub as small as 4 oz can get a size 6 hook with a big lob or slug down there throats!! I also had massive bites from roach on the lobs, but they couldn't get it in their mouths. Might have a go for them on evening as a chap said he'd caught two at 1½ lbs yesterday.

Last night I snapped the tip ring off my wonderful 9' Shakespeare 4 piece expedition spinning rod and fished the rest of the session without it! I must wind some line onto my new carp reels and have a go at the lake next week!

Lid

Edited by - Lid on 04 July 2003 10:25:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

Lid, regards to your chub with a big head,once i was fishing grafham water for trout,and a pick took my lure,it had a great big head, and was long and thin,so we opened it mouth ,we found a lump of stick stuck in the back of its throat,so with a long pair of forcips we removed it,poor old thing was trying to eat but could not swallow,????

Go to Top of Page

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

Cheers Ken, now I'll have to go back and catch it again, lol. No this chub wasn't long and thin. It was short and stout, more akin to a dwarf than undernourished. A weird looking beast indeed.

Lid

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

We, that is the wife Fay and my little spanish dog, Pequeña, went for a ride to find two small lakes you can see when you fly into malaga airport,so the first thing we did was give pequeña a travel pill(we gave her half of one shes only little) you should give them the pill half an hour before you travel,(so we did)but when we was ready to go, she could not stand up,we think we had over dosed her,quick call to the vet,she said no that we hadnt,she was big enough to have four times that amount with out any harm,so we got her to go for a little walk and seemed ok,all in the car and away we go,after getting lost three times we found these lakes,oh i havent shrunk me pics,will continue when i have, be right back,ha ha what a plonker

Go to Top of Page

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  11:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

Ok back with my pics,

look good dont they,??BUT and its a big but,could not find a safe way down to the water,not with the wife and a drowsy dog,(bless her),we decided to go and look for another lake that was on the map,just a small mountain road,blzzzdy hell it went on for miles,and fay hates hights,ha ha we ended up on top of a mountain range,didnt stop to take pics,(dam)we never did find the lake, she that is Fay had had enough,ha ha, so we drove back to the river at cartama,the dog was still out of it,lol fished for two hours and caught one small carp, and two little,(and i mean little) barbel,didnt walk back to the car for camera,youve all seen small fish,ha ha so thats it just one of those days when it dont work.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

This is Pequeña today and shes fine,her name means the little one,

Go to Top of Page

The Witness
Life Member

Essex
England

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  3:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Witness's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add The Witness to your friends list

Ken,
It looks like you've got some tremendous fishing over there.
Great pictures too.
Cheers,
Richard.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  3:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

hi Richard,or do they call you Dick?? there is not much to fish local here and them lakes in the picsfrom yesturday,i dont know if there are fish in them or not,will go and look again when my son gets out here,they are a long way down,so i will let him go down and fish it, and if he gives me the thumbs up ill climb down and have a go,ha ha but if not ill make him a cuppa while he climbs back up ,ha ha but that little commercial lake is full of fish,

Go to Top of Page

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  8:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

good old peter youve been at it again aintcha,ha ha did i cock it up??

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Just tidying up for you Ken.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 04 July 2003 :  10:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

i must learn how to lay it out,????HOW

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Wheresmefloat

Posted - 05 July 2003 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wheresmefloat's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Wheresmefloat to your friends list

Fished at 5 Ways Lakes Wolvey yesterday. Have fished it in the past and had heard poor reports about the place. But the information coming through the match scene over the past few weeks prompted me to give it a whirl - especially as I have a match coming up there in August.
The match lake is called Kestrel and is a 60 peg oval shaped lake with three islands dividing the water into two distinct areas. Most pegs are island swims, pegs 1 to 25 having quite a bit of far bank cover whilst the pegs on the opposite bank are almost devoid of cover. Nevertheless the venue fishes evenly and is not at all peggy. I fished peg 11 having heard that any of the first 15 pegs could produce a good weight (Although peg 45 on the opposite bank won last weekends match with 45lbs.)
The lake is cram packed with carp up to 1lb with a sprinkling of carp to 6lbs and a good head of silver fish with bream to 4lbs. The owner told me that over 2000 carp had been introduced within the last month.
I had heard that the better carp were to be found tight to the far bank and thats where I started, I cuuped in some chopped meat, pellets and corn in the margin and did the same over on the island. There was a very strong crosswind from right to left and presentation was very difficult - I solved this by fishing floating pole at 14.5mtrs with the pole wedged tight between a rest and my box. I spent about an hour on this and took about 20 carp all at about 6ozs.
I then decided to try the margin and started fishing the top 3 at 18ins deep on a small dibber with punched meat, I had only fed the initial cupped feed at the beginning of the session and from then on I fed a pinch of pellets and 3 pieces of corn after every fish. I took about two dozen small carp and then my 10 elastic was really tested with a carp of just over 6 lbs, followed next put in with one over 4lbs. Back to the small carp, using either punched meat or corn on the hook (the bigger fish all took corn)
The rest of the day followed the same pattern and I finished the session (10 til 5) with 88lbs and a new lake record.

Go to Top of Page

ken age 63
' Gin & Tonic '

Spain

Posted - 05 July 2003 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit ken age 63's Homepage  Click to see ken age 63's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add ken age 63 to your friends list

nice report Harry, sounds like a good day,and i don think i said welcome to M.DERS

Go to Top of Page

goin_fishin
'Tiddler'

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 July 2003 :  10:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit goin_fishin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add goin_fishin to your friends list

orite lads fished Yeadon tarn other day me and twig fished it from 7am till 5pm, caught 16 carp and bream, twig had too fish on at once biggest fish we caught through day was around 4 and 5lb which was a mirror we dont hardly catch alot of Common carp at tarn , i havecaught 3 while twig as caught 1 there, i caught a stunning little fish, and i smashed my bream pb 3 times Not bad eh......
here is a few pics including best of 3 fish

and my lovly looking Common

Regards Gf

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 05 July 2003 :  11:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Well done Garry.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.61 seconds.