The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where You Fished Today
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where You Fished Today
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 10

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 27 January 2002 :  07:33:51 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MALC to your friends list

Hows about letting us all know where you fished today and how you got on.
I'm off to Drayton Reservoir in a min i'll let you know how it went when i get back.
Malc

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 27 January 2002 :  10:45:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Looks like the same response to this post as from the fish at Drayton today.
Not a single bite.
20 peg match on the dam wall only 1 fish was caught.

Roll on the summer.

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 January 2002 :  12:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Well when you lot were out and I was in, Stu went for a piking session at Castle Howard and had six runs plus this 8lb'er

Looks like I've got to catch tomorrow now

Dave

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 3:57:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Geoff P
The grumpy one!!

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire

Enjoying retirement.

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 January 2002 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Geoff P to your friends list

No fishing for rasons explained in other threads. But then with 60 mph gusts of winds could hardly stnad up let alone fish.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Geoff

MDs Rolfs Pairs Champion 2010 partnering Spamwham

Go to Top of Page

bart4real

United Kingdom

Posted - 28 January 2002 :  7:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit bart4real's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bart4real to your friends list

I fished the Garbolino silver fish league at Woodland View and finished about 6th or 7th. I won the section with 10lb 14oz but I failed to catch over the joker I fed so I chucked the waggler to the island.I caught mostly roach on caster but as carp do not count, I was chucking them back. I let 10 little ones go only to find out that Mark Pollard weighed three in and won the match with 14lb. DOH!!!!Everything is going in the net next time!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 January 2002 :  7:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Bart,
Why was he allowed to weigh them in?

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2002 :  02:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Malc,
Thanks I'll use your good idea for a report on today, A new venue report and a mini-fish in meet lol.
Sorry Im so late, but I have been asleep for 4 hours since returning home, probably worn out by watching our pro-active fuehrer!
The venue.- Cromwell Lakes, Cromwell , Nr Newark. Notts.
Easy to find, (follow sign to Cromwell off A1,just a few miles N. of Newark) Lane next to farm shop in centre of Village. Sapphire lakes 1/2 mile round corner by the way, another 3 lake comm.fishery.
Cromwell is an extremely well managed £5 per 12 hour day(7-7) with night fishing allowed fri sat sun again £5 7-7.
A 17 acre Lake, with 60 good pegs and space between to share many others if you go as a group.
Contains Carp 30lb + Bream, Tench,Roach, Perch and our quarry today Pike , best this year 33lbs!
Spring fed , the water amazed us in the highest gales of the year, by retaining crystal clarity, despite waves reaching sea like proportions, smashing against the north bank.
Innovative ideas at Cromwell:- pegs can be pre-booked by phone, map in Bailiffs hut showing lake contours,toilets,Free barrows for kit transport!(no need to pack a trolley, just take a good barrow man!!
Well, today was again a great day and I had arranged to meet our leader, big Dave Webbo at 7.30.
Amazingly (twice John) I was early and Dave arrived spot on time. We had planned a Trent visit, but with the extreme weather,the Trent was running over the banks in places and not only ruined our river fishing, but the fall back lake on that stretch became inaccessible as the track flooded. So desperate for a venue,on sunday I drove 80 miles and researched Cromwell!
On arriving we made our way from the Car Park (on hands and knees through the wind) to the Bailiffs hut. There, 1 other hardy soul, quickly made his exit claiming he was going to the only sheltered peg before we had a chance!
We checked the map and decided on the top left corner (a longish walk, before we even knew about free barrows! lol, (but Dave doesnt let things like that put him off!)
Loading up we set off (well! loaded up! Dave had the barrow, all our kit and I carried his ginormous landing net!)
Arriving at pegs 42-39, we decided to fish between 40 (claimed to have been pre-booked) and 39, round the corner,as this gave us ample space to fish in comfort, close enough to chat.
Sea baits only are allowed and Dave had Herring, I a 1/3rd mackerel and a spratt that was slightly carp shaped!
Casting out, we were amazed that the water within a few feet shelved dramatically to 20 feet beneath our feet and the line angle from the rod tip was acute.
We set to talking and , like all my experiences with meeting mds,soon were chatting away as though we had known each other for years. I believe that nearly every fishing story you hear ,you can relate to. If you havent had a similar experience, you can imagine it, or see how it could happen and the funniness of the disasters, or downsides (The Zippy specialities) only serve to accentuate the good side.
And Learn!, Dave in a short space of time increased my fishing knowledge (PVA Tape,interesting as a string user, cork pop ups on the large herring, hhhmm!,and the injection of fish oil as opposed to my spray on).
Then I had a captive audience for my computer questions! and when he wasnt talking alphabet,http,url,asp,mysql!in a Yorkie accent, I was able to pose 'and now for an idiots explanation' questions that he patiently explained.
All this while, above our heads, an Unbelieveably strong wind howled, moaned and drove huge waves crashing across the far bank!
Whilst we sat on a promontory haven, snug, warm and without even a brolly (let alone a bivvy) taken out of the bags!
In fact Dave had even undone his jacket, after barrow duty brought a rosy glow yo his features!(and his net hadn't even got heavy!)
Dave is very pro-active, and after 2 hours and no runs,searched round the corner and discovered 2 20lb+ carp lieing doggo in about 3ft of water near a sunken branch.
So rod 1 removed, freelined piece of a conveniant sandwich and for 1/2 an hour I watched him dapping for carp, on Jan 28th , middle of winter, in a storm force 10 gale!!
Sadly, they did not respond and as the day wore on neither the wind, or the fish relented and despite moving to the unclaimed, pre-booked? no.40 peg and attempting to float fish a herring, neither Dave or I had as much as a run.
Incidentally, Peg40 is the extreme point of a promontory, and when Dave put the float into the main lake, we witnessed the undertow,against the wind direction,pull his 1lb herring along,at a speed equal to normal stick float trotting!!
Such were the conditions that only hardy anglers such as Dave and I enjoyed!
I believe we can put down his Izaak bivvy to the ale lol!
At 4.00 pm we pulled the plug,talked to to other Anglers in the car park swims(no walking for them!) and discovered that all 5 Anglers present had not 1 run between them.
Stopping at the nearest pub, Dave further ruined his reputation by buying my Guinness! and after a pleasant warm by a roaring fire, we both set of, Fishless, but content with the shared experience and looking forward to better days.
Thanks a million , Dave, and I look forward to exploring the Wharfe with you 1 day and getting the conditions right to show you that Trent perform!
If too , I bombard you with pictures, Well you showed me that miraculous little digi camera!
Thanks Again,

Trev

Ziptrev your resident

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 January 2002 :  2:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Hey Trev,

An excellent write up to an excellent day. Who needs fish with company like yours?
I'll have the photo's zipped over to you shortly and if you don't mind I'll copy your report into the 'Been Fishing' section of the site.

That gives me an idea

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 29 January 2002 2:48:11 PM

Dave

Go to Top of Page

bart4real

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2002 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit bart4real's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bart4real to your friends list

Peter,
I think there is a little confusion over what are carp, brown goldfish and carassio. Nobody is sure but instead of putting them in my net, I chucked them back. Some anglers did the same, others didn't and having watched the weigh in, I am still none the wiser. I am just going to put everything in the net from now on. The thing that confuses me is the fact that these fish were all stocked recently because they are winter feeding fish. Why not let anglers weigh them and just discount carp as everyone can tell the difference between them. I don't agree with banning carp but I accept that anglers tend to go all out for them so I can see why they do not count. Nevertheless, last year in this league I finished third in one match, having thrown back four carp from 5oz up to about a pound and a half, only to be beaten by an angler who weighed in a 6lb barbel!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 30 January 2002 :  01:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Thanks Dave,
for Company, kind remarks and photo's!
If you are thinking on same lines as me?, I reckon Malc made a good post here and we could all report back each venue, every time we fish, good or bad , and perhaps in the modern education system of multiple choice questions, ie wind/temp/rain etc (tick box style) and build up a comprehensive coverage of venues!
Complete with method/bait (and in my case disasters lol) and we may all chose better in future!
Cheers Trev

Ziptrev your resident

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  5:03:41 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Just got back from Stockton Reservoir nr Rugby.

It was blowing a gale all day and rained on and off.
Did not think much would come out due to the weather, but i was glad to be proved wrong.

Fished feeder with double red floating maggot and got 3 Chub between 12oz & lb and 7 Carp with the best one just over 8lb.
An enjoyable day after last weekends blank.

So Keith it looks like Stockton on Wednesday i'll e-mail you after some food.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Went to Hardwick Hall off Junc29 M1. Went to try a deadbait at same time as waggler! Water milk chocolate colored! and swim only 2 feet deep (sheltered bank)
Tried it for an hour then packed and moved to Press Manor, set up by 12.
Waggler fished to try new rod, double red maggs over disco pinkies and hemp. Caught about 30 bits, gudgeon,roach ,rudd,perch, 1 small koi1 1/2 lb roach. Downpour at 4.00, packed up, car got stuck in mud AGAIN £40 call out.Shouldnt happen to a dog!

Trev

Ziptrev your resident

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

TREV,

Life will never be dull with you and your disasters around.
You've got to be due a day soon with out any problems !!!!!

Hopefully you wont have to many more problems.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  8:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Thanks Malc,
Well last week set me back £67, for a new 3 section, a new 4 section and a sleeve for old 3 section repair!( I ordered the spares in case it happens again at a more critical time)
So , with only £40 going out this week, Could you say I'm improving?
When I get around to doing my profile, you'll see why I have the Luck I do!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev your resident

Edited by - Ziptrev on 02 February 2002 8:17:05 PM

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  8:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Oh Trev,
What are we going to do with you.
Peter.

Go to Top of Page

Cyprinid_boy
Life Member

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 February 2002 :  9:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyprinid_boy's Homepage  Click to see Cyprinid_boy's MSN Messenger address  Send Cyprinid_boy a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Cyprinid_boy to your friends list

Malc, are my platforms still standing at stockton res? Problems with poles eh trev. i remember when i lost three sections to
the top flight of a double decker bus. Two shatered by the big red monster and the other breaking in my hand leaving me nice carbon fingers - it bloody hurt. So they laughed all day at me (evening open on the river lea at rifles section). The ironic thing is it happened 45 mins into the match and i packed up - would have won the section if tony marti had brought his pet tench!!

Cyp

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  01:46:58 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Matt, their still as strong and good as they were when put up, just a bit slippy now adays.But solid as a rock.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  9:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

3/02/2002 - This could be a regular thread

Stu, Danny and I have got back from what you might call our most hectic day's Piking ever.

We got to Castle Howard for about 8.30am, set-up by 9.00am, Stu's first Pike (a large double) on and nearly landed by 9.15am followed by what can only be described as chaos.

The wind was howling across the lake straight at us and in the next three hours we had the following:

Stu - 12 runs/takes and one more pike on the bank - 14.5lb
Me - 16 runs/takes and five pike landed - 4lb, 7.5lb, 10.5lb, 6lb, 7.5lb

Several of the runs resulted in lost fish, and some of them we think were small, over ambitious jacks. Strangely tho' after 1.00pm we didn't even get a sniff.

I've got some pics and I'll put them together in the 'Been Fishing' section of the site sometime tomorrow.

Dave

Dave

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 February 2002 :  9:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Five hours sitting in a peg that was so muddy that it resembled the Somme.Howling wind from right to left vereing occaisionaly to head on,while the rain went straight under the brolly and the bait tried its best to restage the great escape.
All this for 1lb 14ozs of micro roach,skimmers & a couple of pongos,the best of which may have weighed 8drms.With any luck the kit may dry out for next weekend so i can do it all over again!
Dont you just love it!
Peter.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 04 February 2002 :  12:18:27 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Fished Grand Union Canal @ Welton nr Daventry in a match.

After a nightmare start fished the corn for 1 Bream and 2 Gudgeon for 2lb 1oz and second in section, match was won with over 8lb from the other end of the stretch.

But the weather was good and i enjoyed it in the end.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Geoff P
The grumpy one!!

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire

Enjoying retirement.

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 February 2002 :  06:27:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Geoff P to your friends list

I did post this under Outlook but it is more appropiate here.

Awake at 7.30, out of bed quickly, look out of the window with bated breath. No wind, no rain. Fishing is definitely on today.

Flask made and car loaded. It was a 10 minute drive to Mainwarings Tackle shop to buy 1 pint of maggots and half a pint of casters. Then another 10 minute drive to Gowerton Course Fishery, adjacent to a 9 hole golf course and driving range.

Only a small lake with 30 pegs, containing carp to 21lb, bream to 5lb, roach to a pound with a lot of gudgeon and perch.

I set up the pole, 10 elastic and a 1gramme float to fish on the bottom at about 8 metres. The lake is deeper than usual, after the heavy rain, now about 10 feet deep.

I had a quick cup of tea before settling down for an enjoyable first outing of the year.

I loose fed about 10 maggots and 10 casters over the float and settled down to wait for the first ominous sign of a bite.

Things were very slow, after an hour I had a few signs of line bites so I fished a bit shallower. Still no takers. I varied my book baits between red and white maggots and casters. Changed hook to a size 20. Then I tried sweet corn but to no avail.

Nobody else on the lake was catching either so I knew it wasnít me.

I had arranged to be home before the rugby started at 2 so I was looking at a blank for my first trip of the year.

Sod it, back on to the bottom, with a single caster on size 22 hook. The float settled, and after a couple of minutes slowly sunk out of sight. A quick raise of the pole and a fish was on. I gently guided it to the bank and landed the fish.

The scales were shimmering in the watery sun, and the fins ruffled in the gentle breeze. Was I chuffed?

It was 1.20 and time to pack up to get home. Still I hadnít blanked, and I had thoroughly enjoyed the day. I am looking forward to my next outing, possibly next Sunday. Only I hope the fish I catch then is bigger than a fingerling roach.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Geoff

MDs Rolfs Pairs Champion 2010 partnering Spamwham

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.61 seconds.