The Maggotdrowners Forum - coarse fish in garden ponds
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 The Club House
 coarse fish in garden ponds
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chub

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit chub's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add chub to your friends list

who has ever kept coarse fish in garden ponds ?

if so what types of fish are best?

in my pond witch is 25ft long by 15ft long and 4ft deep i keep roach rudd tench mirror carp and chub .

i love catching chub

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

TINY
Tiny

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:12:55 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TINY to your friends list

If the fishing carries on like this,at least you will be able to go in your garden and catch.I reckon with a bit of persuasion you could get a few of us around to help drink tea,eat toast and have a fish or two.
Andy

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

How much are Day Tickets chub

All of those will thrive in a pond of that size but not sure about the Chub as I've never heard of anyone keeping one before

Did you get a 'Section 30' ? Nope not even going to go down that line lol

Dave

Go to Top of Page

TINY
Tiny

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:24:28 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TINY to your friends list

How about a section 28?No? Lets just leave it shall we.

Andy

Go to Top of Page

granjuiceymoose
'Grinch'

Teesside
England

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit granjuiceymoose's Homepage  Click to see granjuiceymoose's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add granjuiceymoose to your friends list

My nannas garden pond had Chub, rudd, tench, crucian, orfe, eel(somewhere) and Mirror Carp init and all seemed to be doin really well. Now she moved and we are building a new and bigger pond lol.

Tight lines

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

TINY
Tiny

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TINY to your friends list

Looks like its all round to Grans place then.

Andy

Go to Top of Page

chub

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  11:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit chub's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chub to your friends list

dave i got my chub from bridgemere garden world last year they cost me 5 each and they seem to be thriving they have grown 2inch since last year i feed them on slugs and the occasional catipiler that i find in my garden if you want some then i suggest you pay them a visit they also had other coarse fish on sale like silver bream and barbel

i love catching chub

Go to Top of Page

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

How big were those chub for a fiver? There's an advert in AT for 6" - 8" chub at 1 each! Don't know if there's a minimum quantity though.

We used to keep small carp to 5lbs in water troughs and a small artesian well and also in a a small pond. The water supply to the pond and troughs was the same natural spring.

I guess the water in the artesian well was good quality too.

Lid

Go to Top of Page

everyready
Life Member

Flintshire
Wales

Posted - 28 January 2003 :  12:12:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add everyready to your friends list

i have got some small rudd seem ok got them free when picking up weed for pond as my dog like swiming and eating weed in the pond .it gets through lots of weed in the year. yes we do feed it.
my pond only about 1 to 2000 galons have tryed tench carp they just dig the pond up and get too big over 3 lbs in a few years

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 29 January 2003 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello

have kept tench,carp,kois and perch without much trouble, but have also tryed roach and hybrids which have all died.

good luck
ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Go to Top of Page

chub

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 29 January 2003 :  1:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit chub's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chub to your friends list

anyone no were i can buy some perch and sturgeon ?

i love catching chub

Go to Top of Page

Trevski
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2003 :  2:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trevski's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trevski to your friends list

I got a Diamondback Sturgeon for my Dads pond from
a place called "Oakhanger Aquatics" which is just
outside Alsager in Cheshire. You could give em
a call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

TINY
Tiny

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 January 2003 :  3:27:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TINY to your friends list

You can buy Sturgeon from any good aquatics centre,it just depends on which particular form of fish you want.ie diamondback,chequer etc.

Andy.........Staffs Angling Supplies

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

chub

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 29 January 2003 :  4:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit chub's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chub to your friends list

thanks i will have i look for a sturgeon next time i visit my local aquatic centre but not buy one till the weather warms up.

Now does anyone no were i can buy perch?

i love catching chub

Go to Top of Page

chub

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  5:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit chub's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chub to your friends list

i still want to no were i can get some
PERCH for my garden pond or if it is illegal to collect them from the wild?

i love catching chub

Go to Top of Page

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  6:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

They used to sell small perch at my local aquarium centre. I don't know if they still do because it changed hands. Also it's in Hertfordshire. I'll find out anyway, but I don't reckon perch travel very well in the mail.

Lid

Go to Top of Page

mike s
Life Member

Cumbria
England

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mike s to your friends list

Chub, it is definitely illegal to take any fish from a water without the owner's permission. It is also a legal requirement to obtain a section 30 from the EA if you wish to move fish from one water to another, even if it's your garden pond. I know this looks a bit extreme, but the legislation was drawn up to reduce the chance of spreading diseases & is very comprehensive.
You could try emailing the EA to see what the exact situation is as regards your own pond.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Trogg
the ba'stard

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 31 January 2003 :  9:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trogg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trogg to your friends list

Try asking at you local aquatics center Chub, they can normally get any kind of fish you want.
As for the sturgeon they sell some lovely ones at the Hollybush garden center just off junction 11 of the M6 around 4 to 5ft long & start at 99 each.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.34 seconds.