The Maggotdrowners Forum - Australia, Mildura Masters
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Match
 Match Results
 Australia, Mildura Masters
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrC
Life Member

West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrC to your friends list

Murray Cup 21st Oct. & Mildura Masters 22nd- 23rd Oct.
Organised by the Australian Federation of Coarse Anglers.

The excitement of going match fishing after nearly a year away from the sport was so great that I found myself dreaming of this event from my cosy Queensland Brisbane Suburb months in advance.

My tackle was left feeling very sorry for itself, after being left in the corner of the garage in its sterile state for the past 11 months it had taken over 3 months and 12,000 miles over oceans to get its new Australian home, only to left in the corner of the garage! The thought of match fishing again with like minded anglers had me tying hook lengths 4 weeks before the match!

Melbourne is a 2.5 hour ďflightĒ from Brisbane and it took another 6 hours of driving to the medium sized town of Mildura which hosted the 3 day festival. Mildura is a beautiful river town that is between Melbourne and Adelaide , the river boarders New South Wales and Victoria and boast some great wineryís (as Keith Thomas the Australian Federation Secretary was keen to explore from the local supermarket) and not to forget the fantastic fruit farms, you could smell the fresh ripe oranges from 1 mile away and the VB.

The Murrey is a huge river and it reminded me of the Shannon around the Portumna region of Lough Derg Ireland except with less flow, it was reed lined with good depths and tourists enjoying days on the river but of course it was 12,000 miles away from sleepy Portumna!
27 Anglers turned up for the 3 day festival and some big weights where on the cards. The stamp of anglers was something to be admired, ex sponsored UK club anglers and International anglers who have represented their country is not to be ignored, not to mentioned they had perfected the Australian Course fishing methods down to a fine art. I was going on an educational journey to learn what I could and enjoy the company of like minded anglers.

One thing I quickly took on board from World Championship angler Glen Nichols was that fish in Australia donít have a taste for anything meaty or with fishmeal in it, it was going to be a corn and maggot match (In Australia you cant just nip down to the nearest tackle shop and order a gallon of maggots, you have to blow your own!) Thanks Glen for providing some quality red and white maggots.

The 3 day series was set up as follows :
Day 1 The Murray Cup was on the river (this was to get some feed into the pegs ready for the 2 day masters)
Day 2 & 3 was to be fished in two sections, one on the Billabong (lake) and one on the River.
Due to the Billabong access, it was now not possible to fish this venue, so both day 2 & 3 got moved to the river.

Allan Wood did a good job in pegging the match to accommodate up to 30 odd anglers at such short notice.

Day 1. Murrey cup.

I drew A Section peg 8 on the river, I was warned it was going to be difficult first day as it takes a few days for the fish to find and respond to the bait. Most pegs on A Section had a marginal shelf (only about 3 ft deep) for about 5 meters up to weed that spread another 4 meters then it slopped off to around 7/8/9 ft at 10m. This is the area I wanted to fish (just along the far side of the good depth shelf where I had some weed bed feature.) There was some wind and a little flow so I opted for a 3gram float on 0.17 Preston Power line straight through to a size 14 Animal barbless hook, bulk of my shot was down and a trimmed the rig with a couple of number 10 droppers on the last 12 inches which I could adjust if the river started pulling.
I was told the fish are large here can reach 20lb + , and I didnít want to take any risk of fishing the long pole that was not up to the job of bullying large fish away from the snags. So the decision was made to fish the Maver H15 10m margin pole I had Maver Dual Core 12-20 in the top two, I set up a feeder rod as good option to try and find the fish.
My plan of attack was to put 6 orange sized ground bait balls laced with corn, and go out on the feeder while the pole line had time to settle for 30mins. The feeder did not produce any bites so I went out on the 10m pole line and had a nice carp of around 3lb, things where looking up, or so I thought! The day was very slow and I ended with 4kg for 4 fish for 4 bites! 28.180kg won the match on the end peg 16 by Terry Whelan an excellent angler from Rochdale.
International Angler John Foxhall (who incidentally had a bad day too with 2.48kg) informed me that tomorrow would be a better day and there would be much more fish in the pegs the following day, so I went to bed feeling optimistic about drawing a good peg the following day and having a few more fish.!

Day 2. Mildura Masters.

I drew B11, next to Glen Nichols my travelling mate, at least I didnít have to put up with Glen ringing me every 10mins to say how you doing? Now he just sat next to me shouting across to tell me the odd joke and that his peg is full of native fish (silver perch, which incidentally did not count on the weigh in.!)
The pegs did not look good, Glenís peg looked almost unfishable with a weed in front of him so it was a case of getting the weed cutters out and get your feet wet! My peg was not much better we both had patchy weed going out to 20metres! , but I decided to fish pretty much the same as the previous day however on plumbing I only found 5 ft at 10m! that was not a good sign. I ended with 7 fish for just short of 7kg, not a great day. Glen had 4 fish and went for a walk for an hour! Keith Thomas 2 pegs down seemed to be bagging but on arrival of the scales it tipped to only 21.020kg as he lost a few fish and it was not enough for a place. 88Kg won the day from B2 by Ralph Czichon and closely followed by John (Foxy) Foxall with 67.160kg from A16. Match organiser Alan Wood landed the largest fish of the match a massive 15kg Carp (Thatís over 30lb !!) on the pole from A section, a fantastic day for Alan!

Day 3. Mildura Masters.

I drew peg A 15, a good peg that produced fish the previous day and was in between 2nd and 3rd place on the match the previous day.
Glen drew peg A8 (my day 1 peg), at least he had a good gap to fish in amongst the weed.

I was on a mission, this time I set up the box and platform in the water and I was armed with a pile of groundbait and feed. I beefed up tackle 0.20 main to 0.17 Powerline h/length to animal 12 on a 3gm float (Although everyone around me was fishing 4lb/6lb braid as a hook length, I thought they were nuts at 1st but then I found the benefit after a few pigtailed mono hooklengths after catch a few lumps and being dragged through the weeds a couple of times.!)
At 10m I found about 8/9ft of water and 1st put in I balled in 6 balls and sat patient for about 5 mins and the float shot under for a nice carp to around 2kg. This continued for about 1.5 hours, I was feeding in between catching and before the next put in, my swim was alive and thought I was in for a winner. But shortly after 1.5 hours something happened in my swim and it died! I continued to catch 3 fish an hour for some time, most around the 2kg mark but I had some big 5kg lumps in the net too. I ended the 6 hour match with 33kg and Glen on A8 had 45 fish for around 50kg. There was that many fish caught that even Glen with over 50kg /100lb of fish came 6th in his section! Alan Wood had another storming day with a massive 155kg bag of carp! Thatís truly a massive weight and he smashed Glens previous match record of 140kg.

Overall Alan Wood match organiser won the Masters, and everyone can say that he deserved it with catching the biggest fish and that massive weight.

I had a fantastic time and met some great people and learned a great deal, so all was not lost in the end. I look forward to next time, maybe the National Championships , who knows I could be up there with others next timeÖ. Mal.

Edited by - MrC on 26 October 2005 10:53:50 AM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Nice report Mal,
Glad to see you've had a chance to dust off your kit.
Keep us up to date with your adventures.

Peter.

Maggotdrowning.com
Individual Champion 2005

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  2:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Nice one Mal, it's been sOOOOOO long since your last post, I thought you had forgotten us MD'ers over here with the threat of winter approaching.

MY GALLERY
Click here for My MARATHON

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Go to Top of Page

gazmalman
malmanfloats.com

Durham
Heard Island & Mcdonald Islands

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  4:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit gazmalman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add gazmalman to your friends list

Phew that looks good, imagine a world champs on the river!

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  5:01:51 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Mal great read and nice to hear from you after all this time.

100lb+ JINX CLUB MEMBER And Spoiling it 4WALES now

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bricktop
Snap

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  5:21:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bricktop to your friends list

Brilliant read Brilliant looking place

Mind you. Water + Australia = Crocodiles/alligators and other monsters doesn't it? Are there non in that river, cos I see you're stall is set in the water? I'd have bricked myself if my swim suddenly died

Matt

Go to Top of Page

gingert76
Ginge

Site Supporter

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  5:31:22 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gingert76 to your friends list

superb report and god that is one big fish! nice one!!!!!

Sensas JP

Go to Top of Page

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  9:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dirk to your friends list

Great report Mal, well done by the way.

Malc looks like a new venue for the Jinx series next year

www.disabled-angler.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  11:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Nice one Malc, even more so a 2.5hr flight and 6 hour drive and to think that 'some' people can't venture further than the Willows

Keep us uptodate as you're now our official 'Reporter Down under'
(Check the Homepage: www.maggotdrowning.com )

Dave

The Maggotdrowning Shop

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Carrp

Australia

Posted - 29 October 2005 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carrp's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Carrp to your friends list

Hi Mal

great report on what was a great event, this year was my second 'Mildura'and I have to say my first experience of fishing 'The Big River' was very similar to yours. Just wait 'till next year when you know what to expect!!!

Top effort mate flying down from Brizvegas, now if only we could talk the guys from Perth into flying over......

Regards Peter (Adelaide Coarse Anglers)
http://www.australiancoarseangling.com

I'd rather be fishing !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.36 seconds.