The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 8)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 8)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

teepee
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 December 2002 :  8:28:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

well done Adam, sounds as though you were'nt expecting much in the conditions, look forward to the pics.

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

Go to Top of Page

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 December 2002 :  11:03:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

nice one Adam, get those pics posted soon

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 19 December 2002 :  9:43:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Adam S - you might want to try a large (really large) jig below a float. A little of the sardine oil on it would help. Color to match the main forage fish. Just cast to a likely spot and occasionally give a twitch to the thing. You want it to mostly appear dead or dying. I would give it about 10-15 minuites in a spot before recasting (after another touch-up with the oil).

If the water is 4 feet, set the float for around 3 feet. And this time of year I really prefer jigs with a hair skirt over any of the artificials. For one thing, it will hold the oil scent better.

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 20 December 2002 :  12:33:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello newt

thats an interesting idea, it might prove a decent replacment for deadbaits when i cant get any suitable ones.

I might experiment a bit with one rod having a real roach and the other having a jig or a rubber shad or something BOTH WITH OIL

I have tried lure fishing this spot with rubber lures, but i get better results on the plugs, having said that i have gotten fish in the summer here on spinnerbaits and weed free jigs.

cheers
ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

catman
Life Member

Spain

Posted - 20 December 2002 :  5:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit catman's Homepage  Click to see catman's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add catman to your friends list

hi adam i see you have some time of mate hope all is well just had some small zander not a lot to report on the spinning front but catfish to 110.00lbs on the 14th of this month and over 400lbs of carp for one angler and three more cats from 45lbs 55lbs 90lbs 105.00lbs 110.00 all this month and we have only been out three times. bigest carp was 30.04lbs looks good will you send me a pm after xmas so we can sort the details out cheers mate a very merry christams and a prosperous new year to every angler on this forum. good luck with the college.

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 21 December 2002 :  12:40:17 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Something like these. And if you can get it (order from the US if nothing else), I like a shad scented oil. Shad is sort of a generic term over here for small fish sorta like a dace.

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 23 December 2002 :  12:15:55 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello all

Thanks Catman, I hope you nad Loring have a nice christmas and a peaceful new year.

Newt, I get ya now we would use lures like these when we are "fly fishing" for pike, and it can work well on the canal here

the oil i use most is sardine, its good and pungent and works well and i also use smelt and herring oil when i can get em.

The rubber shad under a float has given me a few ideas though, cheers

good luck
ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Enda
Hulk

Offaly
Ireland

Posted - 23 December 2002 :  6:02:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enda to your friends list

Hi Adam
Nice to see a picture of some where I know, Maynooth !!
If you are after some bigger fish and are prepared to drive a little bit head for Mulligar, the harbour there has bigger fish, I witnessed two well over 20 there last year, with one over 25.
Well worth a look as there is two sections of harbour on each side of the bridge plus that s part gets pleasure fished more than anywhere during the winter so there is stacks of roach there to keep the pike happy.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 24 December 2002 :  1:37:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello Enda

spot on, well recognised!

I have fished mullingar a bit, acting on the advice of Godfrey Donoghue mostly and it has fished well, we have had doubles out of mullingar but no twenties.

I mostly stick to the stretch between clonsilla and kilcock (ferns lock) due to living local and this allows me to prebait and really concentrate and get the best out of a stretch long term.

best pike we had last year from this stretch were 19lbs 6oz and 20lbs 1oz

hers a double from last year

its a good stretch if you put the work in but it fished poorly in a lot of places last year, have you fished it much.

Have a good christmas
ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 28 December 2002 :  12:19:19 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Session yesterday. Mildewed (worse than just a blank - no touches of any sort).

Better today. Catfish to around 4-5 lbs I think. Not many but a few. And since they were feeding in an area with some current, they fought like grown up fish. US channel catfish and they like smelly stuff. Got a couple on a bait laced with Butyric Acid and a couple more with a US made "stink bait" that is really ripe and used as a "dip bait". Small piece of sponge directly on the hook and use a stick to poke it into the stink bait and stir it around.

Snaggy area and more broke off than made it to the bank. And several of the ones that broke off were HUGE. Didn't see them but they were seriously HUGE. Veritable monsters. :)

Couple of rods out for carp but nothing. Saw a few breaking the surface but none were hungry - or at least not for what I was throwing.

Better by far than staying at home. Air temp was -6 when I got on the water but warmed up to 7 by mid-afternoon. Sunshine and just generally a nice day to be on the water.

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 December 2002 :  01:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Nice one Newt,
Bit of a temperature swing,any snow yet?

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 28 December 2002 :  11:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

Hi Newt

I didn't realise there are Carp in the USA. How big do they get?
Where's Mildewed then? Is it a river, hence the current?

Leighton

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Polepot
Poles

Bedfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 January 2003 :  11:20:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polepot to your friends list

North Level Drain Tydd Gote AC.

Richard aka The Witness and I had decided to start our year by bagging a few Pike. So at 5:30 this morning I rose from my bed to find the rain hammering from the sky. Was this a good idea I asked myself and decided it was. I packed my gear into the car and as I shut my garage door I asked myself a question "Where the h..l did all that water come from?" as it slid ney gushed from the Garage Door. Now soaked I set of for Richards. He loaded his gear into the car and off we went.

The journey took about an hour and a half with a few aquaplaning moments, we looked down on the drain and again questioned our judgment but after a few moments rose from the car seats and started to tackle up.

I started with a Big S lure which was hit hard on my first cast - however the fish got away a two casts later I lost the lure in a snag,

I changed to a new lure which I fished for about an hour, getting what I thought were occasional plucks but nothing seamed to stay on.
Then at 9:30 I caught my first Pike of 5 - 6 lbs and within a few minutes and another of the same stamp. Richard was experiencing the same plucks and soon loanded a foul hooked roach. We then theorised if these other plucks had been the lure going through roach shoals.

An hour later i caught a perch between 1 & 2 lbs but sadly this was the last fish we saw.

Martin Scott turned up at about 1:00 looking as if he had really enjoyed last night but was not enjoying ir now.

We chatted for a while before we went to the pub - We left Martin there at 5:30 I think he may still be there.

Oh! I told Richard he had Trogged but he was having none of it, Malc in his eyes he was JINXED. 'cause you posted a WELCOME note

I'll add the pictures tomorrow, when I have sussed how to unload them from my wifes Christmas Present

Tight Lines

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Edited by - Polepot on 02 January 2003 12:36:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 01 January 2003 :  11:55:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi nick
i didnt get out of the pub we popped in to the tydd gote inn untill gone 3 this morning so i probably did have a good night
but i did manage to get out of there tonight a bit earlier 10 mins before you put your post up.
by the way its the north level drain.
still it was nice to see you & richard again & looking foward to our next meet.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football

Go to Top of Page

AlanP
'EastAngler'

Suffolk
England

Posted - 02 January 2003 :  2:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlanP's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add AlanP to your friends list

Hinderclay Lakes, Suffolk - Friday 27th December

Got a 4 hour session in here last Friday starting at about 11.30am. The weather was mild, and it was before the rain had started to fall.

Laurie got a 5.5lb Common

And I got this bigger Mirror at 9lb

Both taken on the ledger in the margins around the central island. In fact all the fish caught that day were taken from there.

AlanP

Edited by - AlanP on 03 January 2003 2:35:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 03 January 2003 :  01:00:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Peter - no snow yet. Bad ice storm several weeks ago but only rain since then. Where I live is sorta marginal for snow. Some years none. Others we get snow but rarely lasts over a day or two.

quote:
Originally posted by leighton

I didn't realise there are Carp in the USA. How big do they get?
Where's Mildewed then? Is it a river, hence the current?

leighton - carp were stocked widely thru the US in the mid 1800s. Mostly from a German strain. Nothing since but they have thrived everywhere except the most northern areas of the country. While we can't match some of the UK/Euro monsters, we do have them being caught occasionally at low 70s. The shear amount of water and the very few anglers who target carp mean we could have larger ones.

Almost all commons over here. Most anglers can go a lifetime without ever seeing a mirror although they do occasionally show up since the recessive genes needed to product them can be carried by commons. Some few areas are said to hold leathers but if so, there must have been later stockings since commons simply cannot have the genes needed to produce a leather.

"Mildewed" is a term rather than a place. It means you spent the day with no bites at all. Blanked, at least as used in the US, means no fish on the bank or in the boat.

Place I was fishing is a lake but was a river until around 50 years ago. It has hydroelectric dams at each end and the lake above is river fed. There are a total of 4 lakes on this part of the river channel and after the 4th one, water is back to running in a river again. The amount of current depends completely on how much water they are running thru the dam so can vary from none to quite a bit.
I was fishing yesterday. Maybe 1 knot of current so I anchored in a favorite winter calm-water spot and got the rods out. Within 15 minutes, I was sitting in at least 5 knots of current and maybe more. Had to carefully raise the anchors (stumps just downstream of me) and move to another area that is out of the main channel. And along with the current came mud. Good thing I really like being on the water because the fishing got really slow.

I could have run 5 or 6 miles toward the lower dam and avoided the worst of the current but was just too dang lazy. :)

Checked just now and the river has slowed to about 2600 cubic feet per second of flow so unless we get more rain, I can probably set up and fish the area this weekend.

I was anchored about where the red "X" mark is. Photo was taken when the water was high so you don't see the stumps but I am just barely upstream from a mass of them. The area was not in the main river channel and the timber was cut before they flooded the place. Stumps from 2 to 6 feet high and after 50 years under water, really hard. When the water is running fast, it not only flows in the main channel but also thru the opening just to my right and behind that island as well. Catfish will find a stump to break the flow some and stick around. Carp will leave for calmer water.

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Lid
Life Member

Hertfordshire
England

Posted - 03 January 2003 :  10:07:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lid's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Lid to your friends list

Thanks for the info Newt. Very comprehensive reply - sounds like you know what you are doing!!!.

Go to Top of Page

Ian C
Life Member

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 03 January 2003 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ian C's Homepage  Send Ian C an AOL message  Send Ian C a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add Ian C to your friends list

2/1/03 Higham Farm, Higham, Derbyshire, England.

http://www.go-fish.co.uk/venue_1218.htm

This venue has four lakes, one of which is deemed to be the specimen lake. This is the lake I opted to fish on this visit.

We (me and my regular fishing partner) started fishing at about 7:30 - 8:00 after a quick walk around the pool (very muddy bank/path) and we were quietly confident of getting some runs, as a guy had caught during the night and another was playing a carp as we passed. However we hadn't had a single run when we finished at 17:30. Though, the guy who was playing the fish as we passed did manage to land a couple more. I think he caught fish of 13, 15 and 17lbs.

The baliff said that the lake contained about 50 or so 20lb'ers, just one of which was what I was hoping for
This was my first visit to this venue and my first bash at carp fishing for 9 years. Bearing in mind the time of year and my lack of preparation I wasn't surprised to blank. But the day was made worthwhile as I saw my first otter in the wild!
It appeared out of some brambles near me and sat for a couple of seconds, before swimming across to the island. For me, that made the day brilliant

Anyone thinking of going ought to bear in mind that access is gained via the Santo's Higham Farm Hotel entrance, avoiding the car park and following the signpost (fishing) to the left as soon as you enter. But be warned, the road down to the lakes is very steep, long and only single track! I envisaged us having to reverse a long way if we met someone on the hill.

I think the pegs could have been prepared a little better, as there was just the occasional slab. There was plenty of room for casting and weed didn't seem to be present. I reckon its worth another visit when the weather gets a bit warmer.
Has anyone else fished there? How did it go?

Ian C

Go to Top of Page

ray
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 January 2003 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ray's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ray to your friends list

well in alan and laurie, a couple of nice fish, pity about the hat

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 10 January 2003 :  10:30:00 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

10 - 01 - 2003
town welland spalding
baz thornton came down from scu.nthorpe to meet up with one of his friends that were staying in spalding so i decided to join them for the day.
i arrived about 10 to find them just starting to fish after a brief
intro as ide never met them before i decided to fish the next peg to baz.
they must have the proper idea as the view over my shoulder was

well i decided to set up 2 tops both to be fished at 5m with punch
over liquidised bread
1- 4 x 8 squatt float 0.08 line 0.06 hooklenght size 22 mustad seed hook with barb nipped off (3mm punch)
2- 4 x 12 pole stick 0.1 line 0.08 hooklenght size 20 mustad seed
hook with barb nipped off (6mm punch)
i started by cupping in 2 walnut sized balls of liquidised bread
& within 2 mins hadmy first roach about 3/4 ounce any way it was low but steady action for rest of day apart from slipping up bank for a pint dinner time .
anyway i ended up with 6-06 of roach (over 100 fish)
baz had exactly the same wieght

but ill let him post his methods,rigs ect at w/e
ill just say it was a pleasure to meet up with them & i had a very enjoyable day

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football

(Just reducing photo size - Dave)

Edited by - Dave on 10 January 2003 1:08:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.16 seconds.