The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 8)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 8)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 02 December 2002 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 8)'.
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 now add up to 725+ posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7

Part 2

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 3

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 4

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 5

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 6

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 7

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

So if you're new and have an hour or three spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Happy posting , Dave

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 01 March 2003 9:27:55 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 December 2002 :  11:50:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

02.12.02 Birkdale Fisheries, Terrington, York.

Today was the last day of my short break and my wife Jill had planned a day Christmas shopping in Sheffield with her friend.

After dropping them both of at York Station (a little late due to traffic), I headed home and prepared my bait for the day . . . lets see then, a bit of red cheese cubed, small tin of sweetcorn, hmmm ! I'll take a few strips of cooked chicken ..... You never know , aah . . .try some washed baked beans (saw that on this forum) and this time I'll take some chopped brown bread.

Arrived at Birkdale 10.40 ish and hobbled down towards the Carp lake, the wind was fresh and blowing towards the bottom of the lake, decisions decisions ! what do I do ?, I've blanked here on my last 2 visit's (at least as far as Carp go - only managed to get a few skimmers), the lake doesn't look very inviting, no real signs of life and the bank side has been trampled into a mud bath by anglers at the weekend, suppose they've fed the fish plenty too .... won't be wanting my meager offerings, THAT's it then off to bottom pond !.

I've never fished this pond before, but I'm thinking that I might have a fair chance of catching something, after all it's a smaller pond and with me be the only fool providing food for the fish, I must have a fair chance of a catch .

I choose the bottom corner of the pond, the wind is in my face . . .that's a good thing . . . I think ?. I had both rods on the ledger, didn't fancy float due to the wind and the lilly pads (which were full of lost floats).

Right then lets see, what bait shall I try first ?, hair rigged Sweetcorn on my left rod which I cast close to the island in the above pic, piece of chicken on my right rod which I cast to the corner on my right ..... out with the flask and pipe .... and wait.

and wait . . .and wait . . . nothing . . . not a single bite !

Some time later Steven who is the owner/farmer appeared on his quad bike from across the fields on my right, closely followed by his Jack Russell.
After a few minutes chatting he told me that there'd been a match on this pond yesterday and that the best spot was just a bit further on from where I'd set up, nearer to the lilly pads.

"While your here Andy .... if you catch a 3-4lb Carp .... will you tap it" ?, ..... you know when someones talking to you and you don't really know what the hell there talking about, but you don't want to ask cos you feel as if you should know ?, well that's me !.

After a few more minutes of chat all is revealed, Steven has a friend who's mother-in-law is Polish and apparently Carp is a prized Christmas delicacy, she gets one from him each year !.

This is the best spot

Well I tried the sweetcorn, then the beans, mixed the chopped bread with pellets and a bit of sweecorn liquid and chucked it near to my bait . . . . waited. . . . reeled in and checked my bait, changed it for fresh , etc etc ! it's just not happening for me, I'm really thinking this winter fishing is a waste of time and money, lets have a cup of tea and a sandwich.

Sometime later I was getting close to packing up, hang on a mo . . lets try mixing some softened cheese with small Carp pellets and using that straight onto the hook, that stinks a bit so it must be a winner ?

About 30 mins later the rod on my left twitched , hey up.... there's life ! ..... and then nothing, did I just imagine it ?.

Maybe 15 mins later ..... beeeeeep ..... beeep, my right rod's alarm sprang into life, I leapt out of my chair and almost slipped down the bank into the pond..... bloody hell !, all went quiet.

Not long after the same happened on the right rod (minus slipping) and I'd caught a huge 10oz Carp (yes I did say Oz not lb).

20 mins later the scene was repeated but with a slighty larger 1 lb fish.

Well that just about rounds up my day's fishing, I hadn't blanked and I think I'm onto a winner with the cheese/pellet combination, I'll try that next time

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Dai Fish
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 03 December 2002 :  11:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dai Fish's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Dai Fish to your friends list

Nice report Andy, the fish may not have been very big but it sure beets Christmas shopping imo

Dai Fish

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 December 2002 :  11:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Well done Andy for sticking at it,
Nice to see you got some reward in the end.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 December 2002 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

Cheers Lads

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  7:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Got back from Elvington earlier and just about thawed out now so here goes:

A day's holiday booked and tackle in the car waiting I set off in freezing temperatures with the endearing words that my beloved said to me as I walked out of the door into a thick frost - "You cannot be right in your head going fishing in this!" - Too true, but I never claimed I was lol

Driving off down the road the onboard temperature thingy told me that it was 0oc outside but I was going fishing and without a care in the world and as I passed car after car stuck in the early morning 'rush' into Leeds I chuckled to myself whilst looked at the despairing faces of the drivers - ha - and with a wicked grin, the sort you get when winding Troggies up, I headed off to Elvington in search of the big Cat.
It was peg 17 that the Cat had reportedly settled in, the one that Zippy fished at the Northern Fish-in and when I got there to my surprise, I was the only one - what did the missus say, lol

Tackle on the bank and down to business. I set a rod up with just a bomb on and dropped it into the hole under the Hawthorn tree where the Cat was last seen and gently pulled it in towards me feeling for snags, sunken branches, anything that might present a problem later. I did the same under the old Oak Tree in the bottom corner and then tackled up two rods with baitrunners, 15lb line, small running leger and 15 Snakebite hooklength to a size 4 with a haired chunk of Luncheon Meat the size of a pilot matchbox.
These were dropped into each swim about 4foot from the bank in 6ft of water and the rods were placed onto alarms to sit and wait.
A good couple of handfuls of pellets and chopped meat went in around the hookbait for good measure.

It was going to be a long, cold day. The wind was racing over the surface of the lake and Stan's thermometer was registering minus 3 degrees with the windchill! Eee gods my beloved might be right after all, lol.
The one thing that I did know was that I could not just sit it out doing nothing so in peg 18, in the middle of the two rods I set up a small feeder rod with a size 20hook and a 1/4oz feeder with maggot to keep me busy - hopefully.

It wasn't long before I got a twitch on the tip and it resulted in this specimen roach

Don't laugh, it's the first fish I've caught in two outings

Several more came and the wind and cold faded into insignificance, then a surprise as the rod virtually got yanked off it's rest by this albino Perch

Another check of the two Cat rods and another feeder went in.
After Sunday's match at Woodlands I learnt something and that was not to feed too much in a feeder if the bites were shy or nonexistent in cold weather. I had a tendency to fill the feeder because I could, now up to this point I had been putting in just half a dozen maggots into the feeder and getting bites, so I filled it and cast in to the same spot and waited. Nothing -not a touch. Okay so maybe I missed the spot or maybe it's because the Perch have scared off the small 'uns?
So I recast gain filling the feeder and again waited without a touch - hmm? Back to basics, I wound in, 6 maggots in the feeder, recast and got a bite resulting in this Roach

A few more followed before I went back to a full feeder - again no bites

Just goes to show.
Anyway it was now knocking on 3.00pm, the sun had just gone down over the horizon, and it was absolutely, chuffing freezing.
And as I was starting to feel more than cold it was time to call it a day.
No Cats but several little roach, about 8 decent ones and a perch so all in all not a bad day and better than working

Dave

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

hull tyke
Life Member

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  8:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see hull tyke's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add hull tyke to your friends list

you had a good day then dave iam hopefully going there next week dont know what day yet i want to give that respect rod a tryout
will post the results or not. oh yea how do you use the smileys
thanks
steve

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  8:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

10/10 for perserverance Dave.
Anyway if you'd stayed at home "T" would have only found you something to D******e.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  8:33:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Nice one Dave at least you caught, a big thumbs up (LOL)

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  8:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Cheers Peter lol - I'm still thawing out

Steve, for smilies read this: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum....asp#smilies and if you use the option 'Reply to Topic' you can click on a smilie to insert it and there are more to choose from by clicking 'Additional Smilies'

and if you go next week aim for peg 3, 4, or 5 and you should have a good time on float.

Dave

Teepee - thumbs up

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Edited by - Dave on 10 December 2002 8:36:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 December 2002 :  10:50:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

Well done Dave, at least you didn't "blank" like I did on my first ever Pike adventure ....... 10 or 12 miles up the road from Elvington and very very cold.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

hull tyke
Life Member

East Yorkshire
England

Posted - 11 December 2002 :  1:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see hull tyke's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add hull tyke to your friends list

thanks dave i will give those pegs a try

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 December 2002 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Ho Ho Ho!!!!!
Time for the Christmas Fur & Feather.
Everyone is guaranteed a prize,and funnily enough this meant the best turn out of the season so far!!

Now Lucks Lane Lake couldn't be described as the prettiest venue going.It's an old irrigation reservoir that is raised up from the surrounding orchards,thus catching any weather that's going,and today there was plenty!!!!!!
Oh and did i mention that the Eurostar trains thunder past about 50 yards away every 20 mins?

Lucks Lane Lake.(from peg 19)

In it's defence it normally produces a few fish regardless of conditions.Being that today was basically a social event,i was just looking for a bit of comfort,so it was up with the brolly and out with a feeder to try and snare one of the lumpier carp that inhabit the venue.I hate fishing the pole in the cold & rain so that got left in the rodbag.
Between wandering around and chatting to most of the members i did actually manage to catch one.
A nice Mirror of 7lbs 10ozs which was good enough for 8th place and a bottle of Scotch.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 December 2002 :  9:00:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Nice one Peter, will this rain ever stop?
pour yourself a scotch and forget the weather(LOL)

teepee.

Do not resist growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

matt
Life Member

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 December 2002 :  9:35:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matt to your friends list

Talking of rain, me and a couple of mates had a small knockup on the local canal today, freezing cold, blowing a gale, got soaking wet when a gust caught the brolly, blew it inside out and snapped the metal stem (time for a new one!). but hey, we all caught a few fish and had a laugh, which is what it's all about! I'm back at work now till 5pm xmas eve, so roll on the boxing day match and a Happy Christmas to all Maggot Drowners

HEY DUDE............

Go to Top of Page

ray
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 December 2002 :  9:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ray's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ray to your friends list

quote:
pour yourself a scotch and forget the weather

or drink all of the scotch and ya wont care about the weather.

clean banks campaign wishes all anglers and there familys a very merry christmas and a happy new year.

original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 December 2002 :  9:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Cheers Lads.Hic.Hic.Hic.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Edited by - Peter on 15 December 2002 9:45:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 December 2002 :  7:48:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

well done Peter, that's a decent catch considering the time of year, what hookbait were you using ?

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 16 December 2002 :  8:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Started on 4 grains of hair-rigged corn on a 14,but actually caught on a single red maggot on a 20.

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 16 December 2002 :  8:53:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

lucky b****r
Sheer blinding skill & tenacity

ah .... soon be fishing !

Edited by - Peter on 17 December 2002 9:04:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 18 December 2002 :  11:54:48 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello all

Great reporst , as ever.

This is my first report in a while as I have been totally bogged down in college, but at last i got a free saturday to do a bit of piking.

venue:Royal Canal,Co.kildare,Ireland
Date:saturday the 14 dec 2002
Target:pike
Bait:Roach deadbaits and lures
Rig:shallow drifter float
Time:1pm to 5pm

The level of the canal was 2 feet down from what it was last week, due to the lock gates being opened to allow boats through (damn them)
, which was not great news and the temperature was quite low too, 2 degrees down on the last time i checked four days previous.

I know form fishing this place so much in previous years that when its this cold at this time of year you have to go looking for the pike as they are not too keen to follow a scent trail, so that meant fishing with drifted deadbaits and slow retrieve lures.

This is a pic from last year but we fished the same spot, you can see the harbour to the right and behind andy and the canal stretch running away to the left under the bridge

Roach are the only deadbait that works consistently here so Eoin and I fished three rods between us in the harbour on shallow drifter rigs while my father went plugging along the canal lenght.

The floats I use for the shallow drifter rig are just Drennan pike Zepplers modified with a dart vane to catch the wind as i find the larger fox style too big and bulky for such a shallow venue (4 feet max), with a small amount of sardine oil added to each roach. The baits are cast in and allowed to drift naturally with the wind

My father lured fished to start with a yellow and green shakespeare big s,a rapala shad rap and a yo-zuri shallow diver and after an hour we all swapped.

Final tally for the day was 8 pike with the two best weighing 14lbs together, and the rest being between 2 and 6 lbs.

6 on the big s plug and the two biggest from the harbour on deadbait, all in all a good return given the poopy weather

no pics developed yet but ill add em when i get em.

good luck all
ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.58 seconds.