The Maggotdrowners Forum - Syd Huggins
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Syd Huggins
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simplemind
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add simplemind to your friends list

Anyone remember Syd he had a column in Match Fishing then Angling Plus always good for a laugh and top mickey taker. Does anyone know him, is he still fishing, what's he up to

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

pastehead
Life Member

Sussex
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  6:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastehead's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add pastehead to your friends list

Used to enjoy reading his antics

Go to Top of Page

sporty
Life Member

Site Supporter

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sporty to your friends list

his writing style is sadly missed from the mags

Go to Top of Page

simplemind
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  6:34:27 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add simplemind to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by sporty

his writing style is sadly missed from the mags
Agree Sporty made a change to read about somebody more inept than me! and a nice break from the usual "how to" articles

Go to Top of Page

Browner
Life Member

Wiltshire

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Browner to your friends list

Syd was a legend in my eyes. His writing was up there with Frank Barlow's

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Bish
Life Member

Lancashire
England

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  7:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Bish an AOL message Bookmark this reply Add Bish to your friends list

i met him once in ireland top bloke were is he now i wonder

Go to Top of Page

minkyandbear
Life Member

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  7:38:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add minkyandbear to your friends list

As mentioned before Syd was a God.

Although not a match fisherman I used to look forward his monthly column, as said he was as popular as Frank Barlow 20 years ago. His tales of misadventure was an inspiration to us all

Go to Top of Page

Bungee
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Bungee's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Bungee to your friends list

Sensas rep for East Anglia

Go to Top of Page

sporty
Life Member

Site Supporter

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  8:27:09 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sporty to your friends list

todays mags are far to serious with no humour at all and when ever they try it makes me cringe ,no idea at all .just like readin a set of instructions

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

I'm not Alan Scotthorne

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list

I always remembered Syd describing the weather girl on local news as a stick insect. It was once I moved up here I understood what he meant.

Moderately successful club angler.

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 12 July 2014 :  9:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list

quote :
Originally posted by sporty

todays mags are far to serious with no humour at all

I said the same thing in 2005 - and unfortunately nowts changed

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum...PIC_ID=30316

quote :
The biggest thing that's missing IMHO is humour ...... fishing is supposed to be fun ............ why do all the articles have to be so bloody serious?

The biggest change is that very, very few articles are actually written by the anglers themselves anymore - it's all done by the staff writers which is why all the articles seem identical.

90% of the articles are the same anyway...... sponsored angler X turns up at venue Y, catches a few fish on the latest 'method' (generally involving the use of his sponsors products) and thats it.
It's not exactly rocket-science to write articles like that.

Simon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stokesley.ac/

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

G0zzer2
Life Member

Site Supporter

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 July 2014 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add G0zzer2 to your friends list

One reason is that publishers (the people who make the big decisions) believe that everybody in the UK now wants to succeed or win or be the best - so they tell the editors that their articles must be 'How To'. Another problem is that when surveys are taken, or at least opinions taken, the question likely to be asked is: Which is your favourite type of article...How to catch more fish; or News of Big Catches; or reviews of the latest tackle; or humorous pieces? Few will say that humour is the MOST important, so the publishers think that nobody likes them - stupid, of course, since we like a variety. I'm not sure if the current aditors understand that.

There is some humour in the monthlies - but in my opinion nothing as good as Syd Huggins. Syd was paid, of course, and I think one of the reasons for dropping him was to save money; sending a staff memmber out for a feature covering four pages or more is infinitely cheaper than paying Syd to cover 2 pages.

It's not an easy decision for an editor to make.

Read my Blog "Commercial Matchman"
Go to Top of Page

Irishhybrids
Life Member

Gt.Manchester

Posted - 13 July 2014 :  9:53:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Irishhybrids to your friends list

So what's Syd up to ?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Prawn sandwich
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Glamorgan
United Kingdom

Living with partner

Posted - 13 July 2014 :  11:37:46 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prawn sandwich to your friends list

Yes what's Sid up to??????? He was always up to something.

Go to Top of Page

Fred Davis
Life Member

Middlesex
England

Posted - 13 July 2014 :  11:49:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fred Davis to your friends list

I must admit I was lucky enough to be pegged next to Syd a couple of times in the matches on the glebe and also on one of the british waterways ressy/Stockton matches he was a terrific guy and a great sport and on one match at the Glebe when he was next peg I don't think we stopped laughing what with banter and counter banter, I had a good match coming I think 3rd overall, but he had me in stiches for the whole of the match,, even mentioned me in one of his articles, liked his company, big guy with a big grin terrific company.

Go to Top of Page

smiffy
Life Member

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 July 2014 :  01:06:20 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smiffy to your friends list

Last time I saw him he was driving round as a sensas rep. Popped into our local tackle shop a few times complaining that times is hard.
He won't mind me saying that he never used to be,and probably still isn't,the worlds greatest angler, but that's why most people could relate to him. He would walk the bank during much of a match to get his material for the next issue,rather than actually fish.
I miss his ramblings and the muddles he used to get himself into.

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 14 July 2014 :  07:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

Get him on here he'll fit in well with the bulk of us lot lol

Dave

Please Support Maggotdrowning.com

MaggotMail Email service for Anglers

The Maggotdrowning Clothing Shop

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

ScunnyDaz
Life Member

East Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 July 2014 :  07:37:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScunnyDaz to your friends list

I used to love reading his articles had me in stitches a great writer, i especially liked the tales of his Ireland festival trips great reading, we could certainly do with someone else like him writing in a monthly to liven things up !!

Go to Top of Page

mickthestick
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gt.Manchester
England

Posted - 14 July 2014 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthestick to your friends list

As I have said before , I think he ruined his writing career by actually winning a match , nobody loves a winner lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.83 seconds.