The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 6)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 6)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave
Red Leader

Site Supporter

West Yorkshire
England

...fully qualified in Tea making

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  12:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

The start of a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 6)'.
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 now add up to 560 posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, Page 6, Page 7

Part 2

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 3

Page 1, Page 2, Page 3

Part 4

Page 1,Page 2,Page 3

Part 5

Page 1,Page 2,Page 3

So if you're new and have an hour or three spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

Happy posting , Dave

Edited by - Dave on 01 March 2003 9:23:29 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  02:16:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a new membership book, well what with club matches etc, not had much chance to use it, monday had a walk on the river sussed a couple of pegs that looked inviting and then i went tonight (tuesday) for a 3hr.evening session. all i'd got bait wise was hemp&caster just took one rod (feeder).
This is the peg i fished.

And this is looking down river

Started at 6.00pm throwing over to the tree, three quick chucks to get some bait in on the fourth cast got a bite and result a nice chub of about 1½lbs. in again and a right wrap round, game on obviously one of the barbel, and then everything went solid it had snagged me somewhere mid river, i let the line go slack for a few minuets but nothing had to pull for a break, re-tackled and away again, just going back to the barbel, there's few in this stretch not big fish by barbel standards mainly around 2½ to 5lbs. with one barbel reported at 7lbs. right getting back to the fishing i cast in again and after a few mins, got another bite which turned out to be this chub of 2¼lbs.

after that i had few quick little taps which resulted in the bait getting smashed, then i hit one of these quick bites and the culprit was a dace followed by a gudgeon, so a few quick casts again to get more bait in, which seemed to do the trick another chub of 2lbs. quickly followed by this one at 2½lbs.

after that things went a bit quiet i was'nt getting no signs at all, nearly an hour went by and nothing i was just thinking about calling it day and wham game on another barbel, i could'nt believe it when after what seemed like a couple of minuets it dove in the same snag as the last one, solid, so i let the line go slack again after 5 mins, the tip nodded again it was out, and within a few seconds of it being in open water again, the rod wrenched over and all went slack, result no hook link. so as the evening was now becoming night i packed up and one last look at the swim vowing i'll be back!

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  07:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Great Stuff Tony and what a super looking river (For £9.50? hellova stretch!)
Particularly loved that looking left picture, Flowers, Overhangs, Just Totally Dove-like!)

Interesting point (to me anyway!)
Compare our chub Pics.
Mine are true Blunt Headed Dogs from the Trent and Derwent (the one you caught included)
Yours are more pointed heads, almost Dacelike. Yes?
Super action in 3 hours.

As for the Barbel!!!!

Now 29 to 35 is 6 junctions, but 32,33 & 34 are close together, so if I discount 29 to 3, hhhmmmmnnnn,
cya soon,
Trev

ZiptrevShouldn't happen to a DOG!

Go to Top of Page

AlanP
'EastAngler'

Suffolk
England

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit AlanP's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add AlanP to your friends list

Venue: Lakeside, OneHouse, Stowmarket, Suffolk
Date: Afternoons of Monday 22nd and Tuesday 23rd June 2002

For those of you who have read my Sheffield saga in Wheres Fishing you'll know that I treated myself to a new set of carp rods etc. at the weekend. Well, as you can imagine I was keen to try them out - and I was off work on Monday and Tuesday to look after the kids.

My son and I spent Sunday evening putting line onto the spools and playing with the alarms and bits-and-pieces - well I didn't want to cut the lawn anyway.

My son Laurie (10), my daughter Fiona (7) and I got to the lake at about 1pm and it was busy, very busy. It was a hot, sunny day and there were lots of children and teenagers there. We managed to find an empty swim and I got their rods setup and they were underway. I started on my rods and managed to get one setup and cast in 2 hours later. As well as catching lots of small bits they managed to get tangled in trees, choked up in the masses of weed in the water, tie their line into knots and generally do everything they could to stop me from getting started.

Eventually got two ledger rods setup and out in the water, but no bites, nothing at all on them. In the meantime the kids carried on getting bites and landing most of them. Talking to a few of the other anglers it had been quiet all day, with 1 Common of about 11lb being caught on floating dog biscuit before lunch.

Packed up at about 6, and after much persuassion agreed to come back the following afternoon.

The following day the three of us were back there along with a friend of Laurie's who is a mad keen angler. A much duller, chillier day, but at least it stayed dry while we were there. As a consequence it was much quieter with more swims to choose from. Again I got them all set up and underway and, this time 3 hours later, I started to fish. They were busy right from the start catching bits and one or two small carp to about a 1lb.

As on the Monday, no bites on the ledgers and asking around there had been no action all day.

So in summary, a great couple of afternoons for the kids with plenty of bites, fish (and lost ledgers weights, floats etc. etc. in the trees and the weeds) but nothing of note. The new rods have still to be christened - perhaps on Friday night when I've reluctantly agreed to take Laurie night fishing there (I still don't want to cut the lawn!). I'll let you know.

AlanP

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  10:23:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Trev, yes you're right about those chub pics more pointed nosed, i thought the same when i posted, and that picture looking down river similar to the one you posted of the Derwent,

As for the barbel!!! (one day)

As for having a day with me no problem i'll email you.

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 July 2002 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list

River Tees - Yarm
26th July 2002

Had a short session on the Tees after work (only 6pm till 8.30)
Fished behind Clockwood Pumping Station at the bottom of Valley Drive, theres only one peg and basically you're perched on the end of a rainwater outfall.

Only set up one pole rig, 2g float, fishing in around ten feet of water at 10m. Introduced a couple of balls of groundbait (just brown crumb with a little VDE River Ace) containing maggots, chopped worm and hemp.

This is the view across the river

The river was pulling through very slowly from left to right and I tried both holding the float stationary and letting it run through - without success. (Although I did find a lovely snag which cost me two hooklengths)

Got my first bite after about 40 minutes - needless to say I missed it! Two minutes later got another bite which I hit and ten feet of no.6 elastic flew out of the end of the pole. I had no idea what I'd hooked, started unshipping and lifted the pole and saw I'd hooked a big perch (a conservative estimate is 1.5lbs), reached for the landing net, about to slip it under the fish - and the hook pulled out . The elastic, being under tension, then propelled the rig straight into the tree above me, needless to say the rig was trashed.

Retackled and shipped out again and caught a small perch (2oz), followed by this fish of around 12oz

Caught a couple of small roach, before a pike grabbed one whilst I was unshipping, it was around 5lb and I had it to the net before it bit me off, propelling another rig into the tree. At this point I decided to give up and retire to the pub!

Next time I fish this stretch I think I'll take my little five foot american baitcasting rod and a selection of lures, get the perch and pike out of the way before I start fishing the pole.

Simon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stokesley.ac/
Go to Top of Page

norm

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

i am sh1t but have some cracking gear

Posted - 28 July 2002 :  10:05:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

SIMON R

i bet 10/1 that you dont catch the pike on the lure

but the minute you catch a small fish ahhhhhhhhhhhhh (you know what i mean mate)

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

don't take life to serious, have a bloody laugh
Go to Top of Page

Simon R
Life Member

Site Supporter

Teesside
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 July 2002 :  11:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon R's Homepage  Click to see Simon R's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Simon R to your friends list

Norm

10/1 you're right - I actually popped down there tonight for an hour with a box of lures - not a sniff!

Even my 'never fails' Shakespeare Big S couldn't raise a fish.

Looks like I'll have to make do with some big Irish critters next week

Simon

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stokesley.ac/
Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  02:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Sat 3rd Aug

Fished PAD match
As Trent Rising switched back to Marstons Lake.
Caught 3 Barbel, Perch and Carp, all on worm.
Barbel in good condition for Lake fish, but did not fight one tenth as hard as the river ones yesterday!

All fish caught om worm!
Came 3rd and won section with 16lb 4 ozs!

Made up for not weighing in tuesday!

Trev

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  8:46:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Trev well done 3Rd.

Club match sunday 4-8-02
Wentworth 4th Dam

ITS NOT A CARP PUDDLE!

well it was up and coloured and not a lot wanted to feed,
the weights were made up of odd tench & small perch.
Result as follows:-

1st. John Casson 7lb-2oz.
2nd. teepee 5lb-11oz.
3rd. Phill Green 4lb-0½oz.
Jt.4th. Mick Duncombe
& Barry Sweet 3lb-11½oz.
6th. Barry wall 3lb-5oz.

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  9:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

LOL, Well done 2nd Tony,

I'll have to win one soon and then so will you (with more weight!)

Trev

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  10:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Sunday 4th.
Brookhall Lake,Tiptree.

Having survived yet another Little Chef "Early Starter" we arrived at the car-park for a 9am draw,to be greeted by Betty the Bailiff.

Now anyone that listens to Keith Arthur's program "Fishermans Blues" on TALK SPORT (1053/1089AM)on saturday & sunday mornings will have heard Betty,and her weekly chats to Keith,and perhaps the story of her Cormorant Hound.

Betty assured us that a draw on the bottom half of the lake was what was needed,as the fish tend to follow the wind and it had been blowing in that direction for the past 4 days,and that the fish were being caught up in the water.

Brookhall Lake (looking from the car-park)

Need i say more,into the hat and out comes peg 28 (just about the longest walk,and the furthest away from the desired pegs)The ironic thing is that had the wind been blowing in the opposite direction,this peg would have been an absolute flyer .

While setting up ominous black clouds were gathering and the odd clap of thunder could be heard.Now call me a coward but the idea of being attached to 14½ mtrs of one of the finest lightning conductors known to man wasn't on(especialy when i saw some fork lightning in the distance.So i decided to go with a feeder and waggler (and Norm's "Secret" bait).

The swim really looked a picture

but apart from a few little rudd worrying the bait nothing was forthcoming,and all the time the sky was getting blacker,so out with the brolly and out with the feeder as the heavens opened transforming the scene into something akin to "Carry on Noah"

In amongst all this i managed to connect with 4 carp and 3 tench (Nice One Norm )
The most savage take of all coming from a male tench which weighed 3lb 14ozs.People have said to me that tench don't fare well when they have to compete with carp,and this fish was long enough to be 5lbs+,but was one of the thinnest tench that i've ever caught(food for thought)

That Tench..........

Thankfully the rain stopped about an hour before the end of the match,but then again so did my bites so when the scales arrived i recorded a weight of 24lbs 2ozs,which was good enough for 5th on the day,which to be honest was better than i had expected.
Now all i need to do is spend the rest of the week drying my kit out!!

Peter.
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  10:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Teepee & Trev,
Well Done,we'll get there one day!!!!!!!!!!

Peter.
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  11:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

And you Peter,
Good weight for 5th.

Wish you hadn't highlighted that damn bait though!
I'm the only one who can't catch on it and he'll be rubbing it in again

PS, I drew the longest walk too, but I get lotsa help!

Trev

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Trev,
Well done on your 3rd place and your match weights are creeping higher.
Dont worry Trev you'll catch on them one day.

Teepee,
Well done on your 2nd and once again it was done without swimmers

Peter,
Well done from the wrong end of the venue.
It's not often you hear an angler ask for the rain to continue.
Nice pictures.
Looks like you got our share of the rain as we had bright sun all day.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Go to Top of Page

ray
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  1:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ray's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ray to your friends list

nice reports and pics, keeps me going while i am doing the d********g, gotta get it done or i cant go out to play on the north level or the welsh rave.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Go to Top of Page

norm

Site Supporter

Tyne and Wear
England

i am sh1t but have some cracking gear

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

nice one peter

but remember to keep the secret bait a secret

trev you have to be the only one that cant catch on it

give it a go in your chubb swims

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

don't take life to serious, have a bloody laugh
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  9:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

LOL norm,
Hey! I'm doing OK without the damn things lol, but OK i'll give them a go!
I dont know, Newt with softs, you with your secret bait lol, Why dont you all let me enjoy my Barbel LOL,

Cya

Trev

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  9:12:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Peter well done from an un-fancied peg, and the pic with rain you would'nt believe it was the same day, our match started in rain (not as bad as yours)then sunny and ended in rain/drizzle,
p.s.nice Tench,

Malc, Jonh who won our match was the same "John the diver" and was in the next peg to me, and as he set off to his peg before me having to walk past mine i did wonder if he'd do me the honours of a dip in my peg, which he got a bit of ribbing about but the then battered me off the next peg, i'll keep my mouth shut next time,lol.

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 08 August 2002 :  09:44:10 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi all
some good reports there well done,
on tuesday me & 2 other TG members fished the golf course lake @tydd
well ther been more stock put in since me &trev fished it on opening day may 1st .we sat on 17, 18 &19 me on 19.
we were practicing for our club match on there sunday. 2 of us fished corn &1 fished bread. we all cauht steady all day with me getting the best 3 fish a bream 4-10 common 4-12 & a tench3-10
as its keepnets in matches only we could only estimate our totals &
we worked it out to be in exess of 150lb between the 3of us
ill post the results of sundays match along with a few pictures

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing f**k football

Go to Top of Page

mookie
mookie

Durham
England

Posted - 10 August 2002 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mookie's Homepage  Click to see mookie's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mookie to your friends list

Hi All sorry l havent been on for a while but last night l managed a stint on the river......

Venue -- River Tees at Broken scar Darlington night session 8pm till 330am
Weather -- Yes bags of it rain all night ....11c

Well got there to find the river had dropped to near normal conditions so set up with the usual antisipation of chub and l hope a barbel ...
Bought the usual meat and cheese and then it hit me !!!!! AAARGGGG l had forgot Norms secret bait !!!!!...nevermind had to continue with the bait l had.....
Tried a leger made out of a small pebble with a snap swivel super glued on....like the article in last weeks AT mag....managed to cast it ok....waited for a bite ..then realised l was in a snag
Good start lost the pebble but at least l kept the swivel < pebbles are better than bombs on the river bed >
Second cast produced a good bite which resulted in a nice chub bout 2 an a alf pounds....by this time the rain was very heavy and the brolly was becoming a complete nightmare when striking bites....lots of effing an blinding on my part....the bites were coming every chuck which really surprised me due to the rain....l had a total of 5 chub in the 6 hours but the bites were unreal from the fish l missed due to the b......dy brolly......weighed all the fish together and had 10lb in the net......
l think l had 2 barbel on as they kept really deep and hugged the bottom.... but they managed to escape ....but its sods law with this hobby of ours.....get some in and lose a few....at least we manage to catch something!!!!!!!
I enjoy fishing Broken scar as its free ok you get the odd idiot at the car park end but they never bother the anglers....as yet !!!!!
But could do with a maggotdrowner for company sometime if anyones interested !!!!!....

Spent today trying to dry out my gear from last night...water gets everywhere dont it !!!!!!

Anyway lads an lasses keep the faith go maggotdrowning.....

Cheers...

MOOK....

Founder of B.L.C.F.L Campaign Ban license cheats for life !!!!
Also a member of the clean banks campaign....
Wish the who left 5 empty cans of lager and tins of meat plastic bags etc would just grow up and take it home....l removed it from my swim before fishing and brought it home....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.56 seconds.