The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 17)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 17)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 19 March 2004 :  6:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Peter to your friends list

Yes it's time again for the start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 17)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 now add up to in excess of 1500 posts So,if you are looking for a bit of inspiration or even a good laugh, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

Part 15

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 ,4

Part 16

So if you're new, bored or just have a whole day to yourself, have a read of the previous reports and then lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

With Spring just around the corner, a few more of us should soon be venturing out to the waterside, which will hopefully generate a few more reports and photos to inspire us all.

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 20 March 2004 :  9:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Rather than write my usual essay, heres a brief summary of a gale anf rain swept Willows open today.

10.30am: Mal (Mr C) picks me up

11am: draw. I have peg 61 on goldrush, on the lawn in front of the house. An open water peg with no features other than an aerator at 14m, but which would be very difficult to fish to in the conditions.

12pm: All in

12.30: 1 bite on 4 x 14 rig. Wind starting to pick up. Although it is coming off my back it is being diverted by trees and is gusting in just about every direction there is.

12.45: change to heavier 4 x 16 rig and get an ide of about 6-8oz. wind starting to get stronger + huge gusts starting.

1pm: 13m and 14.5m sections behind me are blown onto top kits and all end up in heap. nearly fall of my box trying to prevent them going into the margins.

1.30pm. 2 more ide in the net.
2pm. Mick Lodge on peg 48 breaks his pole clean in 2 at about the
number 8 section... ouch.

2.15pm: I get off my box to adjust my roller, coincidentally just as one huge gust tears down the lake. My cap is blown off, and i turn round to see my box bait table take off in mid air, spill my bait over my box or in the lake, then land 5m away in the margins. Manage to fish it out with my landing net. Get myself sorted again.
My peg is now unfishable with the pole, it is being blown about and everytime it goes back on the rollers it looks like being blown out of them. I pack the cm90 away before i break it.

2.30pm. Have been round to joes peg (4 on the ridge pool)to scrounge a waggler. 1 bite on the waggler, but to be honest its more like fishing a river.

3pm: A braincell somewhere towards the back of my head clicks (a rare vent i know) and tells me to take off the waggler, and replace it with a small maggot feeder. first 3 chucks bring 3 bites and 2 ide.

3.15pm: There is small series of big creaks on the opposite side of the lake. a tree spilts in 2 right above the poor bloke on 44. he jumps off his box and moves his pole out of the way, and the whole lake watches as this great big half tree comes slowly down.....

.... to land in the lake about half a metre from his box. We all p!ss ourselves laughing as he cant fish his peg anymore!

3.30pm: Another pole broken, and the top 5 is carried down the lake. fortunately he retrieves it.

4pm: More fun and games. A large tree branch comes off and nearly falls on Mick Lodge, scaring the sh!t out of him.

4.30pm. CRACK. That will be another broken pole then, this time on ridge pool. I see a pattern emerging here!

6pm. End of match, no more breakages or fallen trees to report. I have managed 9 ide to a 1lb, and a late 6oz tench, but sport has been slow. I weigh in 6lb dead. the 3 pegs to my left all with islands to fish to have all landed carp and have weighed 15lb, 17lb and 17lb. if conditions had been better i might have been able to catch enough ide on the pole to challenge their weights, but as such it was not to be. I was just pleased not to break anything or lose much, except a pint or so of bait and a bung extractor. I got thoroughly soaked and am knackered from fighting the wind. So did i enjoy it? You bet, i was fishing, so every minute of it!

Go to Top of Page

Apache
Life Member

Berkshire
England

Posted - 20 March 2004 :  10:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Apache's Homepage  Click to see Apache's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Apache to your friends list

Sounds nearly as wild as my day.

Date: Saturday 20 March 2004
Time: 1200 to 1630
Venue: Heathlands Lake

Hadn't even touched the rods before I knew something was going to go wrong - and yep. I open the door to the stables where we keep our fishing tackle, just in time to see a ruddy great rat scramble up the wall. Little charmer - NOT!

He had munched his way through half a kilogram of expensive trout pellets over the last 3 weeks. I might need to lock that overgrown fleabag missnamed a cat in there for the night I think.

Get to the lake and I do my usual, wandering round the lake checking the margins for fish and, unfortunately, handlines. Lucky I do this everytime I am up there. Found two handlines, including a particularly vicious one: 15 yards of bailing twine wound round a piece of 4" by 2" which had been hammered into the ground. The twine was weighted down by a couple of stones, then attached to a bed spring with 2' of 30lb or 40lb b/s line on the other end with three hooks on it.

If I catch the little b*****d(s) who set it they will be dog fodder unless they can run faster than an alsation.

Didn't catch anything all day, apart from a length of garden hose (???) in the howling gale which was blowing the stench of something awful right across the farm.

Tight Lines,
Matt

fishingpost[b][/b]s Forum

Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 March 2004 :  7:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Well, for those of you out who were wondering how Sue and I got on at the "secret venue" on Monday, I did a full post last night on our return and just as I'd finished it (including photo's an' all) B****Y Microsoft came up with some error, (do I send error report, or not send error report??), either way I could not post my report until I had "pressed send or not send" , so I sent error report..............HEY PRESTO, SCREEN WIPED OF MY POST !!!!

So I shall try and repeat "wot I writ" last night.

06.15 The view from my kitchen window of a beautiful sunrise seemed to say it could be a wonderful day, for our first visit this year to the "secret venue" (that loads of M.D.'s know about).
As we made our preparations and in true English fashion, the weather changed from bright blue skies and plenty of early morning sun to become totally grey and overcast all within the space of 5 minutes.

Leaving home at around 07.30 we travelled the 30 miles to the venue with the windshield wipers on for most of the journey and arrived there to find very wintry heavy leaden skies and light rain.

The rain didn't dampen our anticipation and eagerness in the slightest after all this was our first visit to the venue this year!! We both know what the venue produces.

Here is a view of the "leaden sky" from the North end, facing West, (where all the weather was coming from).

This is one is from "the next peg".

Sue and I chose our "usual" pegs where we had an incling of what they contained and how to, etc. We were both "gobsmacked" when neither of us hadn't had a bite in the first hour, but what the heck it was still early.....PLENTY OF TIME YET.

I started on the pole at 11m and Sue chose her "favourite float" a little crystal waggler (it seems like the only one she has).
Single red....wot no bites......single white.....still no bites......four different soft hookers.......still nothing.

Out went my feeder rod, with method/feeder mix and hair rigged luncheon meat (cut with Sue's clever idea, an old lipstick tube, cut twist, it's in your hand).

Lunchtime.....came and went, we've had ours, now it's the fishes turn.............they weren't hungry!!

After lunch I tried the waggler on a different line, pellets, corn, maggot and ran out of ideas. I even tried the "method".
Still nothing, we could not "buy a bite" !!!!

Around 2.30 everything went quiet and still, that's when I CAUGHT THIS ONE. !!

Sue doing a very good impression of a "Carp Angler" (Bivvy Man).

and another before the landing net dried !!

" A PASSION FOR ANGLING "

I think that just about sums it up, we could have stayed at home and "watched paint dry".

BUT.......we stuck it out until about 6 o'clock and as we were packing up I had the waggler rod alongside the bush and while my back was turned, putting stuff away, the inevitable happened.

DAMN ...........MISSED IT.

The one and only bite of the day, red maggot all sucked and chewed, white maggot nipped and sucked, a horrible thought entered my head at this moment, no......not dynamite and a brick.

BUT............How will I tell everyone on M.D's that I HAVE BLANKED !!!!

I did it, I did a "Sapachris"(sorry mate couldn't resist it).

I think we shall have to wait a little untill the weather warms up a bit more yet before our next visit.

IN TRUE "ARNIE" STYLE..........I'LL BE BACK!!!!!

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Edited by - davidsenior on 23 March 2004 8:05:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 March 2004 :  8:33:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

nice one DS i'm sure you'll get a bite when Nora see's what you caught on camera

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 23 March 2004 :  10:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Dave snr, you should have moved to that big bush you can see on the right of the first photo...

...its a perch a chuck there...

....unless your name happens to be Dave Webster!

Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 March 2004 :  10:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Fisky, I guess I've just changed my name LOL.

WHERE THE H**L DO YOU THINK I FISHED

Even you could have won a £1. (maybe).

Go to Top of Page

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 24 March 2004 :  4:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Its so "Secret" even the fish don't know about it!

Go to Top of Page

Geoff P
The grumpy one!!

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire

Enjoying retirement.

My Photo Album

Posted - 24 March 2004 :  10:13:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Geoff P to your friends list

Wednesday 24th March.

For several months I had been promising myself a return trip to Springwater Lakes, Harford, Near Lampeter.

This venue comprises 2 coarse lakes and 2 trout lakes. The main coarse lake contains bream, tench, roach, dace, rudd, hybrids, crucian, perch, a few albino grass carp and carp up to 5lb. The specimen lake contains a lot of carp up to 35+lb. At least 25 over 20lb. All night fishing is available by appointment

The venue caters for caravans and camping and has a purpose built toilet and shower block and the whole site is immaculately kept. The owner Malcolm is pleasant and helpful (well he is English, from Nottingham originally)

Nick (Neo-1) and myself arrived at the venue at just past 8 this morning, and were greeted by the owner who gave us a run down on the waters and the stocking. We drove up to the Main Coarse lake, parked and had a look round the lake before deciding on our swims.

We sat ourselves in swims with our backs to the wind, for comfort. We both set up feeder rods and our poles,

My feeder rod went out with cage feeder and sweetcorn on the hook. For the pole I set up to fish three lines, at 11 metres, 9 metres (a little shallower) and at 5 metres to my right by some rushes.

Fishing was steady most of the day, the 5 metre line giving up small roach, rudd and dace, just now and again a 6 - 8 ounce fish making an appearance, and the 11 metre line giving up crucians and skimmers, all around the half pound mark with one bream of about 2.5lb. Later in the afternoon I started fishing the 9 metre line and had skimmers, roach and hybrids up to 1 pound queuing up to take the pellets I was offering. That was two new species for the fishing race. We finally packed up at 6 pm.

All in all an excellent days fishing on a cracker of a lake, and I am looking forward to the second instalment Sunday.

Anybody making a trip to Wales and want somewhere to camp and fish I can fully reccommend this venue.

Geoff

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fish For Whales

Geoff

MDs Rolfs Pairs Champion 2010 partnering Spamwham

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

chris grant
Life Member

Posted - 26 March 2004 :  08:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit chris grant's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chris grant to your friends list

I fished Tri Nant, near Llantrisant, South Wales on Wednesday 24 March.

As was ponited out to me by Geoff and the gang when we all went up the previous week a slight breeze can be like a gale there due to its position close to surrounding hills.

So as it was, the strength of the wind made ony sort of control on the pole an impossibility and after an hour of making rig adjustments I realised that it wasnt going to happen - The wind and tow was too strong

So I set up an open feeder and had around 20 to 25 of tench and pasties. There were long waits between bites which were all on double magg. I tried the pellet and corn on a hair rig but to no avail.

Despite not being a spectatular day and in difficult conditions I still had a good and in a way, enjoyable day.

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 27 March 2004 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Saturday 27th.

Well MrsM told me that she would be working today,so i decided that I'd grab the chance to pop down to Elphicks and have a session on Sandwich Lake and see if i could get a few species for the Fishing Race.

I arrived at the lake at about 9am and although it was dull and overcast it felt quite mild.I have to say that i was happy to see pegs 10 & 11 were empty and plumped for peg 11 as it allows you to fish 11mtrs to the overflow stack which is the only real feature on the whole lake apart from 1 small island.

PEG11....

I know this swim pretty well,so the set up was pretty simple,Just the 1 top kit with white hydro with the rig consisting of a Drennan Lake carrying 3 no6's and a no10 and a size 20 PR24 all mounted on 0·12 Silk Shock Ultegra to fish at dead depth (about 4½ft).
Bait was to be 6mm expanda's with micro Halibut pellets for feed.I also had some sweetcorn for a change bait.

3 good pouches of pellet and about a dozen expanda's set the table,and 1st put in the float buried and a Bream of about 2½lb was safely banked.

1st Bream....

By the time that Vince arrived at about 10·30am I'd managed about a dozen Bream,a small Common Carp and 4 Tench one of which was the reason for me choosing Elphicks for the days fishing,

A Golden Tench....

A lovely looking fish,not huge at just over a couple of pounds, but very welcome all the same.

Vince set up on peg 12 to my left eager to christen his new pole,as i found a few nice Roach that took a fancy to the expanda's.
It was easy fishing for me, just a question of loose feeding a pouchfull of micros after every fish.The Roach eventually vanished but not before i'd managed to get about a dozen of them,with the largest weighing 1¼lbs

Largest Roach....

The dissapearance of the Roach however, only meant that the Tench and Bream had returned..........Well they had for me, Vince was having one of those nightmare sessions where no matter what he tried all he could do was watch me land fish after fish and pray that his own float would finally vanish.

A typical peg 11 Tench....

Vince finally got a Bream,but i'm afraid this only proved to be a stray that had somehow mistaken peg 12 for peg 11.
Meanwhile Mr Pheasant had come down to have a feed on my redundant sweetcorn....

The only real fly in the ointment was the fact that as the day progressed it was getting colder and colder.
Still the regular pouches of micros kept the fish coming for me, among them 1 small Mirror and and a Crucian Carp

By 3·30 however even my fish were reluctant to feed as it had got colder still,and poor Vince despite trying some of my corn and expanda's and different rigs couldn't buy a decent bite, so we decided to call it a day.
I finished up with 25 Bream to 4lbs ,11 Tench to 3lbs including 1 Goldie, a dozen Roach to 1¼lbs and a Common,a Mirror and a Crucian Carp.
As we were pulling out of the car park Vince told me "Your boys (CHELSEA) are losing 2-1 to Wolves" with a large grin on his face.
Well by the time I got home the final score was CHELSEA 5-2 WOLVES
Kinda sums up mine and Vince's day.

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Vince G
Hop Along

Kent
England

Posted - 27 March 2004 :  10:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vince G's Homepage  Click to see Vince G's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Vince G to your friends list

Peter.

Twice i've been fishing with you and twice it's been bloody awful, methinks I need to choose my fishing companions a little better

Just for the record I did catch a couple of roach as well as that stray Bream, seems like it just one of those days.

Vince

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 March 2004 :  9:42:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

Peter, nice report & pictures, you always catch well from that venue & peg...

nice one Toma looks like you showed Daz & Bernie how to do it

teepee.

teepee.
happy potting

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 March 2004 :  10:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Thanks Tony,
It's a cracking venue for restoring the confidence, Badly needed after the Medway.
(Not sure that Vince shares the same opinion though.)
Andy,
Nice to see you catching well,but is it wise to beat your Taxi driver?

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats, Elastic

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 28 March 2004 :  10:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list

peter

I will have to post a report on the medway in the new season show you there are a few fish in there LOL

Born to Fish
Forced to Work

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

TheHat
Life Member

Kent
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 29 March 2004 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheHat's Homepage  Click to see TheHat's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add TheHat to your friends list

Smashing report Peter!

Vince is lulling you into a false sense of security for the Big Event later in the year.

The idea is that every time you go fishing together, he catches nowt and you are conned into thinking he's cwap.

But come the Day!........

If you want to get a head,
get a........

http://uk.geocities.com/stillspreadbury/

Go to Top of Page

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 30 March 2004 :  12:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Three Musketeers went to Strensall.............

Myself, Susie Q, and my old mate Bob.

By the time Sue and I arrived at Strensall this morning at about 08.45 Bob was already catching small Roach.
It didn't take us long to tackle up and start catching him up........well, you have to give the "old un's" a head start.
"Don't you Fisky "!!

What a glorious day, the weather was alright too !
Right from the off it was almost a fish a chuck, some of them were real good quality fish too.

All day the three of us saw plenty of action from Roach and Skimmers Bob was the only one of us to get something "unusual" a Perch of just over the pound mark. Sorry I didn't get a photo of that one.

I did however manage to take a few shots to show "the quality" of fish in the place.

Here's a face that Beebs will recognise from the Buscot Outing my
"old" mate Bob, who is not yet an M.D.

Nice Skimmer !!

Nice Roach 1.5lb ish.

Me in My "JAN PORTER JACKET" with a Roach (photo by "Nora").

"Nora" with one of her many (slabs she called 'em)........Skimmers.

All in all the weather was very good and once again Strensall didn't let us down......."it always fishes well even in WINTER."
Nice venue, level banks, good platforms and very suitable for the disabled anglers amongst us.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

j_s
Life Member

Hampshire
England

Posted - 30 March 2004 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit j_s's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add j_s to your friends list

I went to Moor Farm in Petworth (West Sussex) on Sunday for some back-to-basics waggler tuition. I emailed the coach of Pulborough AS and he said I could come down and he would show me a nice sensitive set up for crucians.
I got there just before 10am and met the coach and went about catching some fish. A bit of a cold wind coming from behind us.

It was pretty much a bite a chuck with lots of small roach and rudd all on maggots with little and often feeding approach. Tried corn but had no interest whatsoever on this and then tried some hookable pellets and caught a much nicer 7oz roach on the first cast with it but then nothing again. Went back to maggots but put a size 16 hook on and opted for double maggot. The littluns still came in but it didn't bother me as my rig was super sensitive and this was what I wanted.
I moved to the left of my swim by some reeds and fished in front of them. More small roach but then the float dipped and something slightly better was on the end. It darted around and I brought it over to the keepnet and low and behold it was what I was after an 8 oz crucian.

I thought I would get some more crucians but unfortunately not. I continued to get small roach and rudd. No one else on the lake did much better really but I enjoyed myself and learnt a thing or 2.

James

Go to Top of Page

chris grant
Life Member

Posted - 31 March 2004 :  07:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit chris grant's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add chris grant to your friends list

Tuesday - 30 March - Trefaldau Fishery near Monmouth, Gwent.

I have only fished this place once, back last October on one of those days when we had those early frosts. After a slow start then the fishing picked up and I had around 40lb of small carp, crucians and small tench.

Conditions this time we quite simialr in that it was cold overnight but when arrived at the fishery there were laready quite a few people on the top pool - so I went to the bottom pool which is a lot bigger anyway. Without knowing much about the pegs I decided to fish ha;f way along the bank.

The place is an out and out pole venue and the method is pellet.

I had 2 swims going one at around 7 metres and another at 11 metres.

Starting off at 11 metres first 2 put ins tow fish then nowt - missed 2 bites on the trot so moved up off the bottom bit by bit I came upin the water to mid depth - nowt.I tried a shallow rig as the sun was quite bright - nowt.

Came in at 7 metres where I had been feeding quite lightly and letting it settle - bingo. A steady catch rate was maintained for the next 4 hours each fish give a stretch on the white hydro.When I took the net out of the water I reckoned to have at least 50lb - I amnot good at etsimating weights of fish so that may be an understataement but I will settle 50lb.I packed up at 3pm as I had to get home to take my son to soccer but wished that I could have stayed longer.As far as I could see I was the only one onpool ctaching well - and I know the toplake was a struggle.The only reason I could put it down to was the feeding pattern which was light but regular - otheres were duping and waiting and use of the expander on the hook -from my 2 trips there I reckon those tow factors are what have done it for me when others have been struggling.

If you live in sourh wa;les or surrounding areads check this place out - it is avery nice place and the fishing is good andthe carp are very managable on sensible light gear.

My next sess is after the easter hols now as I have to give time to the kids - thinkingabout 3 counties at Ledbury but info on it is hard to come by - anyone know

Go to Top of Page

sapachris
sockman

Gloucestershire
England

Posted - 31 March 2004 :  12:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit sapachris's Homepage  Click to see sapachris's MSN Messenger address  Send sapachris a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add sapachris to your friends list

I am just rushing a bit of lunch before going to work.

As the sun was shining today I had to go and get 3 hours fishing in this morning.
Its a lake 10 mins drive from home.

Isn't nice when you can go and get over a dozen fish from this

to this

in only 3 hours with a bit of old bait from the weekend.

The joys of fishing.....at least I will be going to work smiling.

http://www.sapachris.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
Chris

Go to Top of Page

Jonperch
Avon Angler

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 02 April 2004 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jonperch's Homepage  Click to see Jonperch's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Jonperch to your friends list

As promised here's my fishing holiday report from the Isle of Wight

Saturday 20th March

Arrive back in Chippenham, where Becky (the other half) and myself will be picked up late Sunday by Matt and Deb (matt's other half) to travel to the IOW. We have a nice day with Becky's family before I pop out to the local tackle shop with the credit card An hour later i depart with £20 of 'bits' and £20 of bait

Sunday 21st March

As the holiday was planned mainly at targeting specimin carp, which i hadnt done in nearly 2 years, I had forgotton to pick up various tackle like PVA bags, 2oz leads etc so another 10 notes were spent in the tackle shop. 6 o clock comes around and by 9.30pm we are settled nicely in Deb's student house in Southampton tucking into a Chinky.

Monday 22nd March

Up early at 7.00am so we could make our way to the ferry which leaves at 8.30am. Previous to this trip i had suffered from extreme sea-sickness but the crossing was very pleasant and i was fine! Many jokes were cracked as matt and I wound the girls up saying we could see marlin striking out in the open water! Had a nice day out seeing the sights before we signed in just after 4pm, where we set up kit ready for an early start in the morning. A late walk around the lake and a chat with the bailiff was a bit demoralising as we saw no signs of fish and were told the water was very tough

Tuesday 23rd March

Well, after an age of waiting it had finally come, we were to fish Rookley Park's Specimin lake where carp to 30lb are present, none smaller than 10lb with some big roach, perch and pike to 20lb. Matt and I set out from the caravan at 5am and were fishing by 6am full of confidence. Three rods each, two of mine on the method feeder, one with a heathrow bait services pineapple pop up and the other with a mossella squid boilie and the third rod with pineapple mossella boilie complete with PVA stringer.

Heres a picture of Rookleys lakes

The morning passed quickly, seeing two carp come out, one for the bailif and another foul hooked fish to the 'guy in the corner'. By this time my confidence was as low as low could be, especially as i had blanked on all three of my previous fishing trips. All six rods between us remained silent, not even a touch. 3pm came and matt went for a walk and a chat with the bailif who suggested we fish the smaller lake, a renound 'runs water' with carp up to 19lb. So by 4pm we moved, spirits low but we still had confidence we could tempt a fish or two. However, the fish wernt playing ball Matt fish a boilie on the float in a overhanging tree margin with bubbles everywhere but nothing came. I bunged out all three of my rods on alarms and hoped for the best, thoroughly p****d off that my expensive bait wasnt working! By 5pm Matt had had enough and went back to the van, but i had a good feeling about the fake pop up corn i was using on one of my rods. Another hour passed and dark started to fall, so i started packing up. Then, beeeeeeeeep! The left hand rod screemed off much to my disbelief! I struck but no resistance, the line had snapped, probably due to an earlier snag on the larger lake weakening the line. Gutted. Back to the van and to bed, thoroughly dissapointed.

Wednesday 24th March

After a sleep in we made our way west to Yarmouth Pier in the search of some sea-fish. I cant realy give you an in-depth report on this one as im no sea angler being from the midlands but i can tell you it was another disaster! Another blank for both of us. However, it was nice to spend some time with the girls for the rest of the day.

Heres a picture of me lowering a ragworm beside the pier

And the next picture of me snagging up prior to matt doin the same!

Thursday 25th March

Two days left of a fishing holiday that had so far produced no fish! The executive decision was to target a match/commercial (ish) venue called Merstone Fisheries. This place features 3 lakes, one a specimin lake with large carp, tench, bream, another featuring smaller fish like crucians and gudgeon and a final lake known as the match lake, which we fished. The lake contains huge bream to double figures, carp to near 20lb, large tench, rudd, perch, roach etc.

Heres a picture of the venue, note the lines from bank to island in an attempt to spook cormorants.

I set up a carp rod on alarm, with a method feeder and pop up corn cast to the middle of the lake and a quiver rod with 6lb mainline, 4lb hooklength, size 18 barbless hook and a maggot feeder cast within a foot of the island. After a 2 minute wait both matt and I were finally into the fish, regulary catching roach, rudd, gudgeon, perch and the odd skimmer.

By midday we were as happy as larry to get amongst the fish again!

The girls, who accompanied us on this trip had endless fun on the whip, tempting some quality skimmers to 2lb! With all tummys rumbling around 1pm they went on the food run, while a tench picked up my pop up corn and also had a run! The result, a very pale 3lb tench.

No carp made an appearance which was suprising as after a chat with the bailif he was stunned that all the maggots produced from the island swim were roach. All in all though a great day, and my blanking had finaly come to an end in style.

Friday 26th March

Our last day, and after being booted out at 10am we made our way down to Rookley lakes again with the intention of tempting some carp out of the smaller lake. Both Matt and I opted for same tactics, single hookys with a small bed of feed in the form of crushed boilies and pellets. I opted for the open water whereas matt cast to the margin he had fished the previous tuesday.

When the breeze died down and the lake stood still it resembled a sauna, no joke. Carp bubbles everywhere, along with thousands of tench pin-prick bubbles, a good sign. After 10 minutes matt was in, a nice double figure mirror was netted.

The day followed a regular pattern as we both took turns to play and land carp, resulting in 7 carp to Matt, 3 carp and 2 tench to myself and around a million 'bits' to the girls on the whip.

My first fish, a low double figured common

My second, a mirror around 6-7lb

And my final carp, a double figure mirror

Conclusion (!)

After a slow start it was great to enjoy some hectic sport. The girls had a great time too, there is suprisingly loads to do on the IOW along with many, many good fisheries. However, the carp here are aparantly some of the hardest to catch in the country, and after tuesday i would definatelly agree. It may sound silly going to the IOW on a coarse fishing holiday but i fully recommend it to all.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, if not

Tight lines

Jon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.66 seconds.