The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 16)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 16)
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  6:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Peter to your friends list

Yet again it's time for the start of a new thread, "Where you fished today (Part 16)".
Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 now add up to nearly 1500 posts ! And in case you've missed them, here are shortcuts to the previous threads:

Part 1

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7

Part 2

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3

Part 3

Part 4

Pages:1 , 2 , 3

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Part 12

Part 13

Part 14

Part 15

Pages: 1 , 2 , 3 ,4

So if you're new, bored or just have a whole day spare, take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

If you wish to include a photo feel free using the 'MyPhoto' but for the enjoyment of others, please crunch/optimize them to reduce your file size to less then 30,000bytes - the smaller the better

It might be cold outside but carry on fishing and keep those reports coming.

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Neo-1
Nick Neo Williams

West Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neo-1's Homepage  Click to see Neo-1's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Neo-1 to your friends list

Feb 9th 2004 Seven Oaks

Fished seven oaks today as was unable to make it yesterday with GeoffP, Sapachris and few others,So I choose the peg geoff fished last time we were there, first past the tree on the short bank nearest the trout pool.

Set up maggot feeder and pole, put out feeder rod with two red maggots and b4 i'd finished plumbing up i had a 5lb bream, the first of three over 4lb on the feeder rod.

Went back to plumbing the depth and found a nice deep hole at 12mtrs out.
Potted in some hailbut pellets and hemp seed, and a few red pinkies on the pole line, and settled down to a non-stop run of skimmer bream and roach, with the added bonus of 12 carp, the biggest being a 7lb 2oz common, with the rest being a mixture of commons and mirrors between 1lb and 4lb. I estimate that i caught about 30lb of skimmer & bream and 20lb of roach/rudd, in a total bag of about 80-90lb.

Not a bad days fishing considering the amount of frost on the ground when i arrived there this morning.

Nick

Nick STOP FISHING MAN You can't catch em all in one go mate.

For detailed venue info for wales visit http://www.fish4wales.com

Edited by - Neo-1 on 09 February 2004 7:01:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Xxobi1xX
Just call me chris

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  6:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Xxobi1xX's Homepage  Click to see Xxobi1xX's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Xxobi1xX to your friends list

Sounds like you had a good day neo i just cant wait till I get out next week

._ChRiS_.

Go to Top of Page

Neo-1
Nick Neo Williams

West Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neo-1's Homepage  Click to see Neo-1's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Neo-1 to your friends list

Best Day out i've had this year, although so far this year, with the exception of one blank on the canal, i've had mostly good catches. Good luck next week Chris.

Nick STOP FISHING MAN You can't catch em all in one go mate.

For detailed venue info for wales visit http://www.fish4wales.com

Go to Top of Page

Xxobi1xX
Just call me chris

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  7:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Xxobi1xX's Homepage  Click to see Xxobi1xX's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Xxobi1xX to your friends list

cheers ill need it

._ChRiS_.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mookie
mookie

Durham
England

Posted - 11 February 2004 :  8:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mookie's Homepage  Click to see mookie's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add mookie to your friends list

Well today at last l had the chance to go to the River Swale at Helperby...due to a member of the Barbel Society who drove from 15 miles west of Carlisle to pick me up in Darlington..
Thanks to Mike Osbourne..

Well we got there to find the river going down and it was a nice colour..so we set up in our pegs and got a shock to find we needed 4oz to keep on the bottom in the middle..so we had to keep to the inside and try to find slacks etc...the first two pegs were non starters to pacy...so we moved after 2 hrs no bites...

We moved to a length that had a nice crease and the flow was acceptable to a 1oz bomb..
Heres my swim...

So l set up my new TFG Heavy barbel rod..with 10lb ml 10lb dacron hair rig with a size 6 hook...baited with pelleted meat down the inside...after a hour nothing....

Decided to try maggot on my new WMAC Titanium feeder... with near instant success...tap tap on the tip....resulted in hit bite at last...and a lovely grayling came to the net...
I was getting taps every chuck on maggot...but couldnt hit them..l ended up with the one fish ..my mate stook at it with meat bollies..etc hoping for a chub or barbel...but with no luck..

Anyway l was glad to get out again...and will continue to fish the rivers till the end of the season...

Cheers...

MOOKSTER....

Sorry fish was returned forgot l had my camera with me...

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
England

Happy and relaxed in Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 15 February 2004 :  8:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Well it was off to Lavender Farm today for a Hawthorne AC club match.
For a bit of added interest i was being joined by 3 guests (all Maggotdrowners) in the shape of DavetheFish,ColinthePike and last but not least Malc "The Jinx"

After various bits of banter in the car park it was time for the draw.
92 was mine and low and behold Dave drew 93.Fortunately Malc drew on the dam which was about as far away from us as it was possible to get ,though poor Colin only managed to get 4 pegs away.

Setting up to my right on 91 was Paul the club Champ,who was delighted to draw his peg as it is one of the best on the lake.
Despite being dull and grey it looked fine with plenty of fish topping.

I was planning to start on the straight lead fishing corn,with a possible switch later on to the end of a dead reed bed on my left,into about 4 feet of water.

At the whistle Paul potted in 2 big cups of maggot at 11mtrs,and in his first 3 put ins had 3 carp for about 10lbs in the net.
My tip meanwhile refused to move.

A hasty change onto the pole and out to about 10mtrs in 9ft of water with corn on the hook,resulted in a couple of tentative bites and my first carp,but i was going backwards as Paul was off to a flyer.

At the start i had fed a couple of handsfull of micro halibut pellets into the reedbed on my left along with a few grains of corn,and after about an hour the stems started waiving as fish moved through them.I'd normally wait till later in the match before going onto that line,but i was getting battered by Paul and had to try something.

Bites for the most part were tiny little dips,but slowly i felt that i was pulling back the deficit.Paul having seen me catching close moved onto his margin and while not getting as many as me, seemed to be catching a better stamp of fish.

Dave had decided to concentrate on the other side of the reeds to me,and was slowly putting a few together.Malc was happily adjusting to a smaller stamp of carp than he's been used to at Drayton & Stockton,but unfortunately Colin was having a hard time of it in his peg,fish proving hard to come by.

All to soon for me the scales arrived,with Paul weighing 66lbs 06ozs for 1st place,to my level 63lbs which gave me 2nd overall,Pauls better stamp of fish making all the difference.Dave managed 17lbs 12ozs for 8th on the day and Malc managed a creditable 34lbs 14ozs for 5th. Colin tipped his back without weighing.

Also today the club was fishing its Pairs Cup and with my partner on the day Mark Smith weighing in with 48lbs,we were the winners with 111lbs.

So a good day for me,and i hope that my 3 guests enjoyed themselves

Peter

You can't weigh it in
If it's not in the net.

Winner MD's Alders Farm Match 2012
Winner Jinx Series 2 Day Rolfs Festival 2012.
Winner MD's Rolf's Pairs Championship 2007 with Tony Roberts.
Winner MD's National Individual Championship 2005.
Winner Jinx Series Pairs 2005 with Steve Wilson.
Winner MD's Southern Individual Championship 2004.

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 16 February 2004 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

You Southern softies have it easy. You'd have to fish for a week to catch 63lb up here in winter...

Ben,
According to Dave,You'd have to fish for a month!!

LOL cheers Dave

Edited by - Fisky on 17 February 2004 11:22:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ruddy Roach
Life Member

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 16 February 2004 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ruddy Roach to your friends list

Hi,

Just been to the local river (aire). Set up my rod for trotting with a wire-stem, 3bb stick. Started fishing just on the crease through boils and swirls, 20 mins later I had a fish on, and god, did he tail walk & jump!!! He must of jumped about 4 or more feet clean from the surface!!! It was a pretty good fight and the colours where gorgeous, (brown trout). It was 8oz-1lb in size. When I came to unhook it, there where loads of maggots in its mouth so I started feeding more regularly, little & often as they say. I didnt have any more fish until the end of the session when I thought I'd caught the bottom. The resistance was solid and then it started to run, this one was caught very close in near a water inlet pipe. When it got closer and was ready to be netted, I said to my mum (who had taken me as we where only fishing for about 1.5hours) who was netting it for me, "this one looks like its been had by a pike". when we got it to the bank, it had about 3 gouges in it (which looked as if they had only just happened) with lumps of skin at the end of the gouges where it had been peeled back, I'm not really squirmish but this was NOT pleasent!!! I remember a guy telling me that he had seen mink on the banks so I reckon it would have probably been them. Anyway, the fish fought better than the 1st one (of about the same size) and seemed strong and healthy, it went back fine.

Andy

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  12:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Susie Q and myself, fancied a "change" today and we opted for a little pond at Strensall near York, we had the place to ourselves all day.
Weather started off with a cool breeze and overcast, but by lunchtime the sun came out, rather warm it was too.
There were even a couple of daffodils flowering on the roadside verge in Strensall village, and all the catkins and ***** willow are out, crocus and snowdrops out together with the odd daffodil (what sort of weather is this)???

It started off a "bit slow", with the odd skimmer coming to single red maggot, Sue was the first to "try something different" catching on "green lipped Mussel flavoured" pellet, fished over a couple of cupfuls of "koiswim-stim feed pellets"
Meanwhile my swim I fed with "marine halibut feed pellets".
Alternating baits and "lines" between 6 and 11 meters fish of all shapes and sizes came steadily for both of us all day ( a few more points for the fish race)!!
Sue got a mixed bag, skimmers, roach, rudd, ide.
Mine were mainly skimmers, with an odd roach and rudd, but the best of the day was a nice roach/bream hybrid, (don't they 'ang on) as Matt Hayes would say.

In the last half hour before dark the rudd got a "bit bold", and I finished up using the "top 2" as a whip, in the margins.

We fished untill it was so dark Sue couldn't see her float or hook to re-bait it, and I said, " neither can I, I'm fishing from memory", to which she replied, your memory is better than mine, 'cos you've been fishing longer. LOL
( I think I'll file that one as a "Classic Quote").

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Go to Top of Page

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

Do I take it you were beaten by your much better half AGAIN Dave?

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Fisky, you can "go off" people you know !!

No Ben, not this time, I actually had double Sue's catch !

Thanks for the "vote of confidence" by the way.

We both got a few more "points" for the fish race.

Go to Top of Page

Fisky
Life Member

West Yorkshire
South Sandwich Islands

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  2:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Fisky's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Fisky to your friends list

quote:
Originally posted by davidsenior

Fisky, you can "go off" people you know !!

Whattttt? Does this mean your not in my fan club anymore Dave? I'll give you a free subscription for next year! LOL

You certainly didn't give me a "Vote of confidence" after the willows match thankyou very much!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

davidsenior
Cleggy

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidsenior's Homepage  Click to see davidsenior's MSN Messenger address  Send davidsenior a Yahoo! Message Bookmark this reply Add davidsenior to your friends list

Never mind "grovelling" with your offer of "free membership" for next year.

You let the side down badly at the Willows match........and you know it !!
CHEAT, fancy trying to "weigh in" an island
If you want me "back" in your fan club, you'll have to prove yourself on Saturday.
Remember the time 13.30 LOL (know what I mean)

Not gonna give you anymore information, it's up to you now

Go to Top of Page

Jonperch
Avon Angler

Buckinghamshire
England

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  6:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jonperch's Homepage  Click to see Jonperch's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Jonperch to your friends list

Date - February 17th 2004
Venue - The Dyke, High Wycombe
Weather - Overcast, light rain/drizzle, small cold breeze
Session time - 3pm onwards

The day started badly, I had to get up before mid-day for non-fishing purposes, disaster! The reason being was due to a lecture and seminar starting at 10am. We students are hopeless I know

After being bored out of my skull for a good three hours I headed back into town with the view of buying Angling Times amongst a few other bits and bobs. I was just about to pop into McDonalds for a cheap burger when I noticed the fish market wagon was selling sprats. Worth a look I thought, only for the very nice fishmonger to tell me I could have all two kilos for a couple of quid! Bargain!

So, what do I do now with two kilos of sprats? Well, I quickly made myself home and grabbed my gear and half an hour later I was setting up a Pike rod!

My set up was:

Shimano Hyperloop 2 and 3/4 specimin rod
Daiwa Regal Z reel, loaded with 10lb Daiwa Sensor Line
1oz lead
Two size 6 trebles tied to Drennan 7 strand Pike wire (15lb test)
Connected via a size 9 ESP swivel

Bite indicators consisted of a laccy band behind the reel trapping the line and a good old alarm!

The sprats were mounted headfirst, one hook through the gill and the other through the tail.

The first swim I tried produced a few jacks to red maggot a couple of weeks ago, so I found the deep spot and sat it out for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of thinking 'theres no pike here' I moved swims to somewhere I new the roach and fry would be shoaling up.

First cast, five minutes wait, then all hell broke loose! The line shot out of the laccy band and the alarm squeeled and I was in! A scrappy fight, including the Pike tail-walking three times resulted in this 6lb jack-pike.

After a few quick pictures I put her back, baited up and cast out again. No sooner had I put the rod down did the line tighten and I was in again! Now this was stupid, I had just had a pike tail-walk 3 times in that exact area, something which would have surely spooked the swim? Maybe my thought cursed that pike as it dropped the bait before I struck, after taking a good 10 yards of line.

The same pattern continued, screaming runs only for the pike to drop the bait. I put it down to the fact i was using size 6 trebles, which in all honesty were ruining my presentation due to the sprats averaging around 10cm long. The most likely culprits who were stealing the bait were the many jacks in the water, averaging around a pound.

However, despite another 4 dropped runs there was still the hope of a biggy. Again I rebaited and cast out, this time just putting the rod on the alarm with no slack line. This proved a good move as i had a single beep and then the line went totally slack. I wound down and struck into something solid, and after a slow fight I chinned the pike below out of the water, which weighed in at exactly 10lb 1oz.

Many thanks to the kind passer by who photographed the capture for me!

After another dropped run I had the pleasure of packing up early because I was freezing cold with over 16lb worth of pike to my name in just over an hour and a half!

Not bad for a spontaneous days fishing! Only problem I have now is how the hell do I get rid of just under 2 kilos of sprats!

cheers for reading guys!

Tight lines

Jon

Go to Top of Page

lance
member for life

Posted - 17 February 2004 :  9:22:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lance to your friends list

DATE: SATURDAY 14 FEB.
VENUE: BULLOCK FARM.
WEATHER:SUNNY, BIT CLOUDY.

i fished the carp lake on a corner peg. and fished out in front of me with, :maver reality plole.: 4lb line to 3lb hook lenth.:maggot hook bait.:size 16 hook.: i got a 2 lb carp within 20 mins of seting up. but affter that i had nothing fo 30 mins so i tried to make a new swim. i fished up against the next peg along, (a nother corner peg) i put in 1 kinder cup of maggots and waighted for action, along came 3 carp. about 1lb each. then 5 mins later i struk into something much bigger! i played it for 10mins because i didnt want to lose it on my 3lb line. i landed it and it looked big *****7.5 LBS***** MY NEW PB! i put it back and ree - baited my swim and 10mins later i struk into somthing else that was prety big! but after a 5 min fight i lost it :(. I put my float in the corner swim 1 last time and it produced a other "big fish" a 7lb one!!
AND THAT WAS MY BEST EVER DAYS FISHING!

lance

Go to Top of Page

Xxobi1xX
Just call me chris

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  4:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Xxobi1xX's Homepage  Click to see Xxobi1xX's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Xxobi1xX to your friends list

for my first trip of the year i thought i would try my local canal to get some points for the fish race and to try out my new shakespeare mentor plus . I used maggots (red white yellow and bronze) , curried maggots and bread punch .I fished a swim which i'd had chub to 3lb before to see if they were still biting , my float dipped under constantly for at least 15 mins before my first fish - a perch of less than an oz in weight . I continued to fish for another hour but had nothing so decided to move swims to one which holds some good roach , i decided to go for roach , chub and bream and so fished bread punch , i was straight into a fish - a roach of 14oz which was better than before , i caught 2 more roach then got snagged on the bush . i got a new rig out and plubed the depth then got straight bak into fishing , it was half an hour before i was getting bites (i think i spooked the fish when yanking my pole under water to pull the line off also the cows were let into the canal and 4 barges had come past) i continued to get roach between 6 and 12oz but then got snapped i think it was a chub of 4lb+ , i decided to call it a day and got the keepnet out to take some photos only to discover the camera had low batteries grr....

._ChRiS_.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Geoff P
The grumpy one!!

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire

Enjoying retirement.

My Photo Album

Posted - 18 February 2004 :  5:37:56 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Geoff P to your friends list

Today Nick (Neo-1) and myself decided to have a day at the Meadows Lake, Porthcawl. To say it was a grueller would be an understatement. I had two bites all day and one resulted in this 4lb 1oz bream, caught on single red maggot.

Nick had a few skimmers fairly early in the day on bread punch but things went really quiet for him in the afternoon.

Geoff

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fishing Venues

Geoff

MDs Rolfs Pairs Champion 2010 partnering Spamwham

Go to Top of Page

Xxobi1xX
Just call me chris

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 19 February 2004 :  3:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Xxobi1xX's Homepage  Click to see Xxobi1xX's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Xxobi1xX to your friends list

I went back to the canal today with a charged up digital camera to get some fish for the race , i had the same bait and tactics as yesterday but had nothing for about 3hours , then i got a small gudgeon and had nothing else for the day , i'll be going back tomorrow to try and get a perch,roach,bleak and ruffe

._ChRiS_.

Go to Top of Page

svenc
London Blanker NOT

Surrey
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 21 February 2004 :  3:50:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svenc to your friends list

As promised back in december heres what I got up to at blyton ponds Lincs when I stayed there for a week from 31st january.

Got there at about 2pm on the saturday, left the girlfriend to unpack everything. whilst I took all of my fishing gear into the lockup next to the caravan to get set-up. Set up all my rods and put them on the foam covered wall brackets (excelent idea). Ready at last. Got fishing straight away and started off with chopped worm on the float. Within ten minutes started to get a few finicky bites but couldnt connect with any of them. There were a lot of swirls and bubbles rising so decided to go a bit lighter so changed rods(bearing in mind I had them all set up). It seemed to have done the job I was in virtualy straight away a nice koi of around 1-1.5 lbs. If first impressions are supposed to count they did here, I had a good feeling about the week. That afternoon and into the evening i had a quite a few small roach, my first barbel of about 1lbs, a couple of small tench and a crucian..

I fished quite a lot during the week fishing ledgered fish bites, flavoured luncheon meat, Maggots, and worm.

It was an excellent week catching Barbel to about 3lbs(felt like a 6lbser) Koi to about 6lb, lots of little ghost carp, tench, roach, Bream, goldfish!!, chub to about 3lbs, hybrids, gudgeon, common carp to about 2lbs and mirror to about 3lbs.

All in all an excelent week, I would recomend Blyton ponds to anybody, it was quite cold but I still caught quite a lot. I bet the bigger carp will be feeding just as much as the small ones in the summer. I did see them swimming around all week but didnt catch one. The biggest go to about 28lbs. cheers all.

svenc

Go to Top of Page

AndyA
Life Member

Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 February 2004 :  8:36:32 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndyA to your friends list

we opted for a little pond at Strensall near York

Wish I'd have known Dave, Strensall is where I live, I could have popped along with a hot brew.

http://trophy.321SPAM

Edited by - AndyA on 24 February 2004 8:37:28 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2017 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.77 seconds.