The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 3)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 3)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

ray
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 May 2002 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit ray's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ray to your friends list

Day 6 bolingy lake

Geoff, jan and myself arrived on another glorious day, quite hot even at 8:15 am. I noticed that geoff was proudly wearing a t-shirt with the welsh dragon on.
I set up on a peg near to the bridge where I found 6ft of water at 10 mtrs, a margin swim containing a reed bed to my right and I could reach the island at 13 mtrs.
1st rig set up was for the island swim, 2½ft deep, .16 line straight through to a size 14 hook with a fairly big dibber float, in went a pot of riddled meat.
The swim to my right was the same depth as the island swim so I decided to use the same rig, I fed a pot of pellets with a few casters + corn mixed in.
At 10 mtrs I set up a 1g float on .16 line to a .14 btm onto a size 16 hook. I fed a pot full of meat with a few casters on top.
Out went my island rig with a piece of meat on the hook, as soon as the float settled I started getting a few knocks (line bites) then a few dips then the float started getting dragged along the surface towards a clump of reeds, I struck, nothing, out again went another piece of meat, the same thing only this time I got a fish, a small mirror just over a lb in weight, changing to 2 small bits of meat I got ½doz similar fish in as many casts. I fed another pot of meat along with a pot of pellets and casters, I thought maybe I could feed off the smaller carp, I changed to my right hand swim and again caught a few small mirrors up to 2lb in weight. Alternating between the 2 margin swims I got some more small mirrors, all between 1+3lb.
After a while I went for a walk to see how geoff and jan were doing, as I was talking to geoff, jan shouted me, “come and get this” as I went to her swim she lifted out an eel (about a lb), at least it was different (and was caught on double caster) after unhooking it I went back to have another go.
There was a bit of fish activity in my 10mtr line, a few bubbles were coming up, I refed the 2 margin swims with more meat and dropped a piece of meat in at 10 mtrs, more dips and bobs but nothing to strike at, a change to a piece of corn brought me a common carp of 4lb followed by a couple of small mirrors. This was the way it continued for the rest of the day, swapping between all 3 swims I caught steadily, most of the fish were in the 1-3lb bracket with the occasional fish a bit bigger.
Once again, a very enjoyable day (very hot one at that) and nobody did a trogg, ended up with 25 small mirrors up to 3lb in weight, + a common of 4lb, mirrors of 4½, 5, 6,6½ and an 8 lber, 32 fish in total.

true anglers leave clean banks
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 23 May 2002 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Date : 23/05/02
Venue : Stockton Reservoir
Time : 11am till 4pm

Today Dirk and myself fished at Stockton Res as we both got a couple of matches there in the near future.

Dirk fished peg 43 and i fished peg 44.
Both pegs are surrounded by reeds which go about 6mtrs out and had a depth of around 3ft.

I fished 2 lines, 1 to the left and 1 to the right tight to the reeds.
Bait wise i fished meat over pellet on 1 line and pellet over pellet
on the other.

The meat line produced 3 carp between 6lb and 10lb plus a tench of
about 2½lb.

The pellet line only produced 1 tench about 2lb.

For a total weight of about 30lb

As for Dirk's day i'll let him tell you what he done but i will say
that his best carp was 13lb and he ended up with about 60lb+ to
double my weight.

But as normal the craick was good and at least this time there was no
£1 side bet.

Wait till Sunday Dirk when the £1 is back on the table !!

I'll remember the camera one day and put some pictures up.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Edited by - MALC on 23 May 2002 7:37:10 PM

Go to Top of Page

dirk

Warwickshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 23 May 2002 :  10:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dirk to your friends list

Stockton reservoir
Stockton reservoir
Thursday saw Malc and myself, going to Stockton reservoir NR Southam, about four miles form Draycote Water, This lake had been taken over by British Waterways, about five years ago, and made in to a smaller version of Clattercote, or very small version of Drayton.where some of the maggotdrowners fished on Monday. Having 63 pegs we decided to fish on pegs 43 and 44. I Had planned to fish the maggot on the waggler for the Chubb, up in the water but after about an hour, and being plagued by the rudd, and Malc catching a Tench on the pole, made me decide that I too should try for the pole line. Malc started missing bites on the paste, and lost a carp, then I caught my first carp on the meat, which was around 3Ibs then malc had one slightly larger, then they really started to feed.
I finished the day with 9 carp three in double figures the largest being 13Ibs good old malc had his scales with him, we estimated that I finished the day with approximately 60Ibs and poor old Malc had around 30Ibs which was an extremely good weight for him. Well he did have the excitement of weighing my fish, so that more than made up for it, wait for the comments he's at work, so I'll get away with it until tomorrow. Sorry All the fish were caught on the meat and fished up against the reeds, and Malc fished with a large quantity of green16 elastic, which we shall not mention, go on mention it, especially those that have taken his advise on elasticating their poles.
Next trip out is at Sheepy Magna the Lime trees final match, in their spring series.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 26 May 2002 :  8:58:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Date : 26/05/02
Venue: long Pool (Sheepy Magna)
Time : 9am to 2pm

Today was a club match on our own pools only 7 turned up and it fished terrible.

Personaly i fished Catmeat over Pellets to the far bank reeds with 0.14 direct to size 10 Mustard Method hook into 3ft of water.
On the second put in i hooked a carp that went straight through the reeds (i think it's still going).
Result from that swim was 0 but i did manage to strike upwards into a tree and trash a rig, (thought i'd say that before Dirk did).

Also had a pellet line at 5mtr by some weed which was fished with a 4x12 float to 0.12 line and size 16 Animal hook.
Result from that swim was 1 Roach about an ounce hooked cleanly in the belly.

Result for the day was a D-N-W and as Dirk caught 2 Perch for about 6oz he collected the standard £1 side bet (again).

Steve Wilson also fished but same as me only 1 fish (tench) for a couple of ounces and did not weigh either.

Roll on Tuesday as i'm on a Carp Hole and hopefully i'll get me £1 back off Dirk.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

norm

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 26 May 2002 :  9:26:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

sunday
26th may
renny pond

thunder and lighting most of the day

windy as hell

took my 7 year old son for his first fish on the wagler

and did he do it in stile

3lb chub up the the water (after loosing 2 off and missing 10 bites)

but he loved it so much so that i could hardly got a go of my rod all day

he ended up with about 3 other smaller chub (2 lb) and a small carp (2lb)

when i eventualy got my rod it was a bite a chuck ,i had 15 chub to 3lb and 4 carp to 4lb

all in all one hell of a day and my son still has a smile on his face now and has told his mam all about it

see yas at semer
norm

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Go to Top of Page

Dave
Red Leader

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 26 May 2002 :  10:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Dave to your friends list

From Ray:

Friday Night

Sycamore lake

It had been raining on and off for most of the day (heavy) I sat waiting for a break so I could get out for the last time.
At about 4:00 I got the break I had been waiting for, ten minutes later I was setting up on sycamore lake.
I had with me ½ pint of casters some corn and a bit of meat, it was all that I had left and wanted to use it up.

I set up 2 margin swims, 1st to my right at 6 mtrs next to a patch of lillys, 3½ft deep, .16 line to a .14 btm, small dibber float with a size 18 hook. In went a doz casters.
2nd swim to my left at 3 mtrs, infront of a reed bed, again 3½ft deep, .17 line to a .16 btm, big dibber to a 14 hook. In went a pot of pellets mixed with some casters, corn and meat.
I put a single caster on my right hand rig and lowered it in, I was chucking in ½ doz casters every minute, the float did not even settle before shooting away, a nice roach of about 10 oz, then another one , then another, this went on for about an hour, roach up to lb in weight. (+ a couple of perch)
I noticed that the reeds were my feed had been put in were showing signs of fish, I fed about a doz casters, put three casters on the hook and lowered it in, after a few minutes my float just tore off, a few minutes later I was slipping my net under a ghost carp of 5.4lb. I fed another doz casters and put a piece of corn on the hook (I wanted to feed the remainder of the casters) a few knocks later again my float shot off, this time I landed a mirror carp of 3.10lb, guessing that I had about an hour of light left, I decided to finish off the session on this line, with another piece of corn on the hook and a doz casters fed I waited again for a bite. A few knocks, then a dip then my float sailed away, to my surprise I was soon netting a golden tench,
It weighed in at 3.6lb, with the help of a passing stranger I took a photo and put it back.
By now, with the damp/rain my finger tips were starting to look like prunes so i decided on “last cast”, the remainder of my casters went in (about 2 doz) followed by my hook again with a piece of corn on, right away I got a few line bites then again it sailed off, my last fish was soon in the net, a mirror of 7.4lb feeling quite pleased with the session I called it a day/week.
I had finished my week off with approx 30-40 roach + perch, a ghostie of 5.4lb, mirrors of 3.10 + 7.4lb and a golden tench of 3.6lb.
All in all, not a bad week, I am now waiting for my next visit in September.

Once again I would like to take this opportunity to say “thanks” to my fellow m/ds, geoff, malc + gemma (and familys) for making this week so enjoyable, I think we all learnt something from each other and enjoyed the company.

That all folks……ray.

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  12:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Nice stuff Ray,
Don't it take a time though LOL
OK today was another disaster, but I went back and fished Glazebrooks Lake for 5 minutes before feeling unwell!

But I took the opportunity to take these Pics of the Ully Gully Lake that is on the same complex as the previous 4!

Canal shaped! and having lots of lilies

And Daz tells me that it responds to Pike Spinning!

Having done these, I decided since here, I would try a spin back on Glazebrooks.
Lost 2 lures in 5 minutes!
Went to tie on 3rd and found I had lost Glasses!

THEN accosted for 4th time since returning to fishing in October by EA Bailiff!
(Never once in 20 years prior to this, Is Mookie sending them?)

However, Eat your hearts out chaps!

This EA Bailiff was happy and giving out Freebies!!!!

I am now the proud owner of the following!

So, when I want to risk bringing my mobile out (shades of Wendy) I can be reminded at the bankside, from my freebie towel, the rivercall number for 60p per minute!(plus mobile cost lol)

Ah well, just one of those days!

Cheers

Trev

ZiptrevShouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 5:13:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ferret1959
Snake breeder.

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  01:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ferret1959's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ferret1959 to your friends list

So that's where all the licence money goes Trevs'freebies.
And wouldn't you have thought it should be a free phone number as we are doing the work for them???

Dave.
dave@tjsangling.co.uk
www.tjsangling.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  02:39:25 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Ah Trev - since you had a rough day on the water, thought I'd bring in a few photos from your recent catching days to trigger the fond memories.

Tuckertown was the site of all of these. Location was where ever the boat happened to be at the moment. Trev in the stern catching fish and Newt in the bow guiding the boat along and catching the occasional fish himself.

Not that you would call this lazy style fishing but it is certainly easy on the legs.

And ole Trev did certainly catch some largemouth on lures. I think from this photo that he was sorta happy about this fine young fella.

The reason a fairly small bass can take a fairly large lure (and the reason they call this sub-species a Largemouth). This one is slightly smaller than the one Trev is holding in the pic above.

And a good indication why it is easy at times to lose lures. The stumps are where we were catfishing. Looks great once you get out of them doesn't it? Well, there are lots of others that are just below the water. The area was logged before being flooded about 50 years ago and the loggers didn't always cut things the same height. Trev lost a really nice catfish in the "clear" water within 10 feet of the boat (where the shot was taken). Turns out there is a stump there with it's top about 12 inches below the surface. Dang it!!!

Newt Vail

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 5:20:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  04:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Dammit Newt!
Over a week since I had to leave all that!
AND the weather!

Since my return I've faced nothing but Wind!
Dropped last evening to be replaced by rain!
Checked the water temperature on friday, reached 62 degs, 1 degree warmer than the air temperature!

Thanks Newt!

Happy memories and I wish I were still here!

Yeah!
I still got a few to report on!
Time is the key!

Thanks Again Newt,

Cheers

Trev

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 5:22:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  04:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Norm,
Great stuff!

I'm hoping that we have similar up there next Sunday!
Can't be worse than this week surely!
Keep taking that boy out, He wont forget it and I'm with mine again in 3 weeks and his 34th birthday was last tuesday!

Dave Ferret, I don't know mate where the money goes!
I posted the other day, Just how much does RiverCall add to the total?
Its only Severn Trent that seem to have several 0906 numbers and a recent update has given 1 number to hear ALL the River levels on one number!
This is not for us either, it means you may have to hang on longer at 60p per min. to wait for your required river!
I suppose they must publish income, but it will be in the balance sheet 2 to 3 years AFTER we've spent it!
I guess from your previous postings, you qualify for the disabled half price ticket?
Well , me too, BUT, because I like to fish 3 rods for Pike, I'm back to paying £21 for 2 licences! (Mookie take note lol)
Also, it gets up my nose that I can't buy over the Internet, but have to queue at the Post Office still and PROVE that I qualify!
There are disabled guys out there, who struggle to get to the Post Office!
AND where it goes?
Mookie, Trogg and Mat are all asking the same!

Cya August
Cheers

Trev.
PS Towel size is only 12" x 18" , so it aint on those LOL

Trev

Go to Top of Page

darryl
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  11:03:45 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryl to your friends list

fished pride lake ,inbetween monsoons occasional thunder avist from ea baliff(yes i got a towell has well needed it to keep drying off)any way found a nice gravel bar inbetween two points fish meathod (made up of 3 boxes special k,2 boxs allbran, 1 box off weetabix and 1 box of sugerpuffs cost30p for the lot has they was damaged its great having a wife working at the local supermarket)catch was 12 carp between 7lb and 12lb.........darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

MY God Daz!!!
12 Carp and me feeling poorly 2oo yds from you!

Lets hope that ticket comes through quick!

Well done mate!

Trev

Go to Top of Page

darryl
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  1:10:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryl to your friends list

it normaly takes a week ,from the toilet looking at the lake 100yards to the left ,far bank bunch of trees and bushes 60 yards out 2 underwater points going from 18foot upto 14 foot gravel bar 16 foot wide(approx) it took me ages mapping this out with that wind and rain found them feeding on this hope it helps.....darryl

Go to Top of Page

norm

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  3:04:47 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

daz

did you put milk on that lot

ps now that you told us what you had for breakfast .what did you use for fishing bait

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Go to Top of Page

darryl
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 May 2002 :  3:31:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryl to your friends list

i used farleys creamof rice pudding babyfood

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 May 2002 :  04:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Tuesday May 28 All Over!
First I fished Marstons Pool, Barrow on Trent in A PAD Match!
Drew peg 4(permanent 25) next to Mark Alderson, our Bailiff and the 'Mark' referred to in Archie Braddocks Diaries!
Couldn't have been more helpful!
Fished Waggler, 8ft deep (about Max for this pool)2 rods out.
Fed pellet, corn and Pinky.
Caught 4 carp , 2 Roach solely on Worm!
No bites on anything else!

Here's the Pool

Match over, I wanted a big bait clearout, so drove a few miles (on way home) and set up on Cullens.
Balled in all old groundbait and leftover corn ,pinkies,maggots,casters,meat!in shallow margin swim!
Within 5 minutes had 2 Swans, 2 Ducks, 2 Grebe and a single Coot! all arse upwards clearing up my food!!!!
Fished for an hour, 1 solitary 2 oz Rudd!
Moved to Glazebrook lake, (30 yds) and put various Lures through for an hour or two.
Result, 1 1/2 lb Pike, the smallest yet!!!
BUT , He was superbly marked, No scars and very welcome!
Look at this titch, hitting one of my smallest Lures!

Returned to Cullens for last 1/2 hour. Dead!
Packed away , phoned wife for pint on way home and joined her in pub at 10.50 pm when I arrived. Left home at 6.45 am, so you cant say I aint trying!

Cheers

Trev

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 5:26:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 May 2002 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

quote:

it normaly takes a week
daz

IT DIDNT darryl!

Phoned Alan Gough saturday, posted docs and cheque that night, received this morning!
Good ole Royal Mail, consignia, new expensive name ,whatever!
OK Ully Gully, Here we come, PLUS get ready for a 1000 questions Daz LOL

CYA

Trev
Pride of Derby member
(and of course RSSG SACN and mainly MD's LOL)

Go to Top of Page

teepee
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 May 2002 :  2:03:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teepee to your friends list

nice report Trev still having problems with the swans & ducks etc. did the swan talk to you again[lol]
save that picture of the zand..sorry pike.

teepee.

Go to Top of Page

keith
Gandhi

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 29 May 2002 :  7:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit keith's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add keith to your friends list

Grand Union Canal,Castlethorpe

29/05/02

The weather was overcast with a hint of rain and the wind was light and but gusty in place when it did get up a bit.

Vic and myself decided to practice for a forthcoming match next week.Vic fished caster and pinkies at the bottom of the far shelf.Myself fished up the shelf with squatts and pinkies with a rig set up for corn right across.

First put in with the squatt and a tiny gudgeon and that kept going for about the first hour.Vic was getting a few indications on caster but only had a roach of about 3oz to show for it.
A switch to pinkie saw a few perch and a solitary skimmer of about 4oz come to the net and Vic started to put a few fish together by alternating the caster and pinkies.
During all this time no groundbait was fed by either of us and we kept just loose feeding our respective feed baits.
Do not know whether the roach would have fed better with gb or not.What are your thoughts.

Still we caught steadily throughout the day and had a reasonable net of fish although the fish were on the small size.I had approximately 70 fish for about 11/2lb and fish slightly less for about the same weight.

A good practice with two different tyles both catching fish.Still do not know what to do on the day but will have to feed a caster line now as the better fish definately came to it.

Keith

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.17 seconds.