The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 2)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 2)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

norm

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 30 April 2002 :  2:11:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

nice one newt
but i don`t think that would have helped tomma much

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 30 April 2002 :  11:12:00 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi all
tonight i fished a match at button hole lake draw was 5-00 fished 5-30 till 8-30
i drew peg 20 wich was to the piont of the island & the wind was over my right shoulder it was 14.5m to corner of island
first step on start 2x cups of riddled bacon grill coated in silly bait gold 2nd 2x cups of chopped worm & caster at 8m
started on meat near island as did pegs 18 & 19 first hour peg 18 had 1 small roach i switched to worm line & was getting 1oz roach & perch after about 20 of these i had a skimmer about 12oz then this went dead iwent back to island & in the last hr had 2 tench about 6ozs each total wieght 3-02 match was won with 16-04 2nd 15-15
the peg next to me was a friend of mine ray malle who was in todays AT with nuddy in his feature & he didnt even wiegh in

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

Dai Fish
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 30 April 2002 :  11:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dai Fish's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Dai Fish to your friends list

Hi Martin, nice report at least you had some fish to weigh in, I read the peice in AT with interest and I am looking forward to next weeks instalment, I know a lot of people knock AT but I find it a real good read and look forward to it droping through my door every week

Dai Fish

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 01 May 2002 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Thanks Martin,
Evening matches,a fond summer memory,just don't get the time to fish them nowdays,still nice to read about them though.

Peter.
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 02 May 2002 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Date: 1/05/02
Venue: Borough Hill
Time: 6pm till 8.30pm (evening open)

I know it's a day late but the computer crashed on me last night.

I'll follow Peters lead on this one from now on and put match details on Match Reports section and my own report on this section (good idea Peter).

Used the same feed mix as last week after defrosting it but spiced it up with a bit more fishmeal and riddled meat.

Fed 2 pots at 5mtrs in front and 1 pot 5mtrs down the right hand side tight to the bank and 5 or 6 piece's of riddled meat 3mtrs to the left again against the bank.
Fished the same set up as last week plus a dibber on the inside lines as it was only 12" deep there.

Started at 5mtrs on 2 pieces of riddled meat and got gudgeon bites straight away then after 10 mins foul hooked the first carp which i lost and thats pretty much how my match went.
I swopped between all 3 lines but the gudgeon were every where this week.
I ended up with 4 carp for 8lb 13oz but only 1 was hooked in the mouth and i pulled out of 11 that were foul hooked.
But still enjoyed the evening even though it was a lot slower than last week

Winning weight was 17lb 14oz to meat & corn by 14year old Lee Mays who got 2nd last week.
Well done young Lee.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 02 May 2002 :  10:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Tydd St. Giles 1/5/02

To some the unrelieved flatness of the East Anglian landscape is boring! To others, awesome, conjuring pictures of Dickensian Britain, with the mists surrounding Copperfield on the Yarmouth Flats.
To our Northerners and Welsh, incomprehensible that the eye can see so far, without bumping in to hills and mountains!

At 4.15 am on Wednesday morning, I left my Suffolk resting place and set off, through a thankfully dry dawn to meet again with Martin at his express invitation to fish on the opening day of a new Lake.

My own delight in the Landscape, because although Suffolk, my birthplace is totally different, being of the ‘rolling hills’ landscape, the ruggedness of Fen Country always fills me with the sense of mystery, smugglers tales and harshness!

However, flat land leads to unrelieved wind!
My fear was that the continuous, never ceasing, nothing to hide behind wind, would ruin Martins day!

Arriving at about 5.40 am, I stopped to take this picture over a Drain as you arrive at Tydd Gote1

In this area, villages are lonely and huddle together in clusters, so from the A17, you pass the Terringtons in Norfolk (Terrington St.Clements, Terrington St.John, Terrington Marsh)
Go through the Walpole’s (St Peter, St.Andrew, Cross keys and Island) and then turning left after Sutton Bridge (Not Long Sutton, or Sutton St. James, Sutton St.Edmund, or even Sutton Crosses!} and you then come to the Tydds (Gote, St.Giles and St.Mary)

Where one starts and the other leaves off, or for that matter, where Norfolk ends and Lincolnshire begins, I was unable to discover and Cambridgeshire looms closely at this junction as well!
When I realised that the next village to Tydd St.Giles is Newton! I thought of next week and my US friend and decided that as I had arrived, I could worry about boundaries some other time.

Martin and I quickly made contact, met, exchanged warm greetings and drove into the Car Park of an extremely well appointed Golf and Leisure Complex, that is less than 3 years old, maturing well and expanding into the venture that interests us, namely Angling.

I will not re-iterate the stock of fish; locations etc. as Martin has already ably highlighted these under his new lake topic, so let me describe our day.

Firstly, Martin had a Companion in young Phil.
A cracking lad and good naturedly enduring the wisecracks that Martin supplied in a constant stream, which kept me amused all day!
I’m sure Phil wont mind if I explain that in his short life, he has faced personal tragedy in having a disabled Mother and recently losing his Father.
I felt a particular pride in being Martin’s friend and seeing the caring relationship he has offered to Phil in the lads adversity and you can seethe bond the have forged!
You’ll meet Phil at Semmer, and I know you will take to his cheerful, friendly nature as I did.
Well, I’ve got to say that haven’t I, Here’s the kind lad lugging my kit to the Lakeside!
(I am carrying my landing net again Dave! And Ray, the Trolley was much appreciated!

Here’s a view of the Lake

I dropped on to peg 4, with Phil on my right at 3 and Martin on my left at 6.
An island faced us some 25-30 metres away.
All the 30 pegs had new platforms installed 2 or 3 days ago, extremely nice pegs.
The first 17 are also screen protected from the errant golfers!

Just as well, as more than 1 ball arrived in the lake whilst we were there and balls could be clearly seen on the Island!
We strolled up to the far end of the Lake, as fishing is only allowed this side, because of the danger from the golf balls and at 4 ½ acres, there is plenty of bank!
Here's a view looking back from the top end

The platforms were new, but the fish even newer, as many had only arrived yesterday, so we discussed methods and decided that it would be hard as the fish were all pellet fed and one of the bans? Yes, you’ve guessed it! Pellets!
The fish must 1st be made familiar with Anglers permitted baits, before we can expect good catches.
We all started on the Pole, fishing light rigs in about 7’ of water, with single or double Pinkie as hook bait.
The wind proved to be a problem to me almost immediately, but fishing from before 8.oo am, I persevered until about 9.30, before I brought out the Sidewinder Rig on my 13’ carp waggler rod, in conjunction with a small pinkie swimfeeder, a 2lb bottom and a 20 hook.
Martin was by now trying riddled meat feed, also a 2lb bottom and a 22 hook!
As some 30,000 small koi and other carp had been introduced, I thought the meat approach a good idea, but decided to see Martin results
Meeting weed several times on retrieval, I had a play and using a minute half of a black coloured foam ball, I popped up a single red maggot on a 6” hook length, which worked perfectly in the shallows.
The water temperature had dropped to 52 degs with the influx of rain we had received over the past 2 days.

Martin by 10.00, had reverted to a closer line, double orange Pinkie and it worked!
Almost exactly on the hour, his float dipped and he was in to a Carp, that I am sure weighed 3lb +, but for which he claimed 2!
Carefully playing the fish in on light tackle, we were amazed to see the hooked fish accompanied in (and out again when it ran) by 3 other carp!
Here’s the 1st Fish ever caught on Tydd St. Giles Fishery!

Look at that Grin! Did ever a man enjoy fishing more!

On returning to my peg, we discovered that my popped up Red Maggot had been nipped!
My only bite and I was witnessing the capture by Martin!

An Angler who had taken peg 1, hooked and lost a carp, another on 8 or 9 had no bites and Phil, who had 2 bites early on, found that they had dried up completely.

The wind did ease in the afternoon, but I begged Martins meat, as he had reverted to maggots and flavoured it with Raspberry essence on a cage feeder. (This is the only way ground bait may be used)

Very quiet fishing, but 100 stories, revolving around Sammy, (Martins daughter), Phil in matches, the local club scene and other topics that made for a brilliant day.
We discussed a Zander day for the future, a barbell promise I made Martin, MD’s, Drayton, Semmer, all of the fun we were going to share.

Martin had a meeting at 7.30, so instead of our planned Fish until 6, away by 7, I suggested in view of the lack of fish, that we packed up early, allowing me to buy Martin a ‘Black one’. To repay his invite and the presentation he had made to me of the Ticket marked No.1, the first ever ticket for the Fishery!

It was surprisingly not difficult to get his agreement for a Guinness! but he then said ‘I’m just going to try something’
Picking up a small whip, some 3-4 metres in length, he wandered down to peg1, vacated over 2 hours ago by the Angler who had lost his carp.

I carried on breaking down kit, when, within 5 minutes I heard Martin call ‘Phil, bring that net!’
Walking down, this is what I saw

Yes! working out that the departing Angler had dumped his unused bait in the margins, Martin had dropped his bait there and successfully hooked this lovely Common

We weighed it at 43/4lbs
Allowing for the net, Martin claimed 41/2

Phil in the meantime had gleefully grabbed the whip and Martin smiled at me as he came back to his peg.
‘Those big ones will all be gone now ‘he said, ‘but I thought I’d try it!’
When will I start to think like that!

Worse was to follow!
A cry of glee from Phil as he pulled out a 2” Roach!
The big ones may have fled, but at last a small fish co-operated!
Which meant

‘I was the only one to blank!!!!!

Is this the breaking of the Zippy Curse?

Never before have I been to a venue with someone and failed to catch!
Always, I have been the one to catch, OR share in a general blank!
I hope it’s all over!
BUT I doubt it!

Worse was again to follow,
We all left the venue together and Phil had his own kit, so I had no helpful Slave!
The walk back to the Car Park meant that the first pint of Guinness was the most refreshing I had tasted since Ireland and we chatted away happily in the ‘Spikes Bar’ of the club.
It was no surprise to find that Phil too drank Guinness! Would Martin not teach him right?

Martin had earlier given me the 3 Videos presented to MD’s by Bob Nudd, each individually autographed as follows-

For the Maggot Drowners Winners 2002-05-02
All the Best
Bob Nudd

Thanks Martin, for taking the trouble to ask for these great prizes and support the Fish-in, even though you cannot be there.

Such was our craic, that Martin forgot the exact time of his meeting and was suddenly confronted by a Committeeman, who announced that he had just a Quarter of an hour!
As Martin had left all his Paperwork at home, it was a case of Hail and Farewell as we departed at a great rate of Knots, with quick thanks and see you at Drayton’s!

As I drove through an intense glare from the low sun, heading Westwards and home, I felt sad that the day was over so quick, as the Company was such damn good fun, but I brightened as I thought of Rudyard with John and hopefully Alan on Friday, Dave and Stu on Sunday, my 1st PAD match on Tuesday and then the Big one with Newt, in the U.S. of A

Thanks MD’s for making it all possible!

Cheers

Trev

ZiptrevShouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 02 May 2002 10:16:42 PM

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  12:34:02 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

A short (and very different) trip report here.

My wife is off work on Wednesday and Thursday. Since I don't have to start work until 3:30pm, we will often get up early on a Thursday and be on the water at daylight to fish until a little after noon.

I was especially anxious to get out today and will again this weekend. Mostly scouting trips in anticipation of Trev's visit. With the weather warming nicely here and the water as well (70ºF - 21.1ºC surface temperature today), the fish are moving about in a strange pattern as some will come shallow to spawn and head back deep while others are just staging into shallower water to get ready for the spawn. Locating them is much trickier than during a steady time like summer-early fall and winter.

I was tossing lures for bass and the wife was using crickets and fishing a float rig for mostly bream (the US sort which are sunfish and nothing like your bream).

I started out the morning in an area where the lilly pads are starting to grow to the surface and there are just a few patches of open water between masses of pads. Water goes to about 6½ ft deep in the deepest area. Early AM is often great for bass on the surface but not today. I tried two very different colored floating mouse lures but no go. Wife was getting lots of bites but not hooking anything.

We moved on and she changed down to a #8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook (which is one of the two patterns a bream won't deep hook with - they are lots like perch for swollowing a hook). I kept 3 rods near to hand with a crank bait on one, a jig and soft plastic body on a second, and a ¼oz spinner bait on the other. Mouse went back into the box until next trip.

I picked up a couple of nice bass over the next mile or so of shoreline and the wife boated and released 9 or 10 very small sunfish. Fed at least 3 crickets to bite-offs for each one landed too. They were very small and the #8 was a bit large but it is the smallest size for this particular hook pattern.

Wind was blowing quite hard for over here at around 20mph and occasionally up to 30. I was moving with the wind behind so the boat was going fairly fast for fishing but the other choice would have kept us both soaking wet with spray.

Finally got to a sheltered spot right behind an berm built to elevate the railroad track. The water changes from around 20ft to nothing over a short distance. I saw lots of bubbling and swirling in a section that is maybe 4-6 feet deep and decided to anchor for a bit. Fish would hopefully bite and at worst we would get a respite from the wind.

By this time it was around 09:30 and we had been on the lake for around 2½ hours. At 11:15 Jan said her arms and back were tired from catching so many fish and she was ready to up anchor and move on. We had found a "glory hole" where the fish were thick, larger, and hungry. I have absolutely no idea how many she caught but she had a blast catching and I had at least as much fun watching her.

Didn't take the camera because of the foul conditions (some rain as well as the wind) but will post pictures of a bluegill (to over ½lb which is nice size for them) and a warmouth (to about 1lb) that she was catching.

First - the fairly well known Bluegill (although frequently the belly is a brighter orange)

And the warmouth (known locally as a goggle eye)

I picked up one more bass over the next 30 minutes of trolling and fighting the wind and we decided to head in for lunch and me off to work (where I am now).

Trev - I have the spot well marked and hopefully the fish will still be there when you arrive. If not, I'll locate more hot spots between now and then.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 03 May 2002 12:35:51 AM

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  12:45:52 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

hello all

Report:3rd of may 2002,2pm-9pm
venue:royal canal,co.kildare,ireland.
weather:sunny spells,heavy showers,cold northerly wind.

Well today was a strange day,i had prebaited and raked my chosen swim , in a wide section of the canal (a barge turning circle) beside a big weed bed with a few lilies poking through,and i secretly hoped for a few tench even though my head told me that it was still !! too cold for them to feed in any numbers (in this stretch they usually need a good long warm period to get going).

when i arrived there was an english guy called Will fishing near my spot,i know him quite well and he is a good angler,despite this however he had only caught 8 small perch, what was strange about that is that he said he had never had more than one perch in a day on this stretch before (neither had i).hmmm

as i set up the first shower of hail hit,so i had to set up the brolly . three minutes later the sun was blazing and i took the brolly down,agggg! this pattern continued all day.

i had faith in my prebaiting but the start was not encouraging,i was fishing waggler ( 2AA) six inches overdepth,2lbs hooklenght and 18 hook (my usual float setup for the larger fish on this canal) and i had also set up a seven metre whip.after two hours i had about 1lb of bits on the whip and had pulled out of three good fish on the waggler despite two hook changes.the heavy weed didnt help,and i only had about 3 feet square to fish into (the area i had raked). my big fish line relied on hemp,mags and casters over groundbait (sensas cloud 3000, match blend,and crushed hemp) and i was loose feeding white mags and hemp on my whip line.

most of my entertainment came from watching the ducks antics,there was a huge surplus of male mallards and the 8 remaining single males constantly hassled the lone single female wherever she went,she must have flown miles but she couldnt shake them.she even tried to find sanctuary behind my keepnet but to no avail,they had their way with her anyway,poor duck.this along with a male swan attacking the whole group of ducks at intervals kept me entertained as i had my lunch

Will had departed and i had the whole stretch to myself as i resumed fishng at 5pm,but the fishing stayed slow with just a couple of 12oz hybrids showing up on the waggler,my whip line had slowed to a crawl
and with heavy shower number four pelting down i decided to give it one more hour.an hour later and no change i decided to leave , only to realise there wasnt a train till 7.30,so i rang my father and he said he would pick me up as he passed on his way home from work. i rang him at 6.10 and at about 6.30 my swim went mad,lots of bubbles,swirls and a hybrid between 8oz and 2lbs every cast,how odd i hadnt even fed it in half anf hour coz i was having a prolonged last cast as i slowly packed up.

so i got back to fishing,and between 6.30 and 8.45 i had a bite every single cast and about 38lbs of fish in 2 and a bit hours (with a grand total of 3lbs for the four previous hours),no tench though.

anyway that was that,i packed up happy but puzzled at 9pm and headed home for a pizza.i hadnt had a sinlge perch,and will who was fishing just across the canal from me had nothing but perch,where did all the hybrids come from,and where had all the bream gone,and why oh why wont the tench hurry up and feed.i gave up wondering about an hour ago,but it was an odd day for this stretch ,i know you might think that the fishing just got better in the evening,but that never happens on this stretch as it usually fishes all day.oh well ,i guess surprises are what make angling great.

good luck
ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  01:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Thanks MALC,
Why do you reckon you get so many foul hooked ones there?
Are they wary and rolling on the bait first?
or sheer numbers and hungry?
I,ve never heard of so many foul hooked?

Newt,
What can I say!
Great exciting report anda totally different world!
The well known (LOL) Bluegill!
Looks a lot like a Perch (similar also to the Warmouth shown as well)
How big do they grow?
Our Perch are not a bad size at 1lb, Specimen and rare at 3lb and with a new record in the last fortnight of just over 51/2lbs.
Lovely fish, positively pre-historic looking.
Well, I'm off in 3 hours after our Predators (and then after I've met John and Alan, I'm going fishing for Pike as well LOL)

Let you know how I get on and on this 200 acre reservoir, we think we have a fish location problem!
God knows how you find them on that Lake?

Don't know if you read the last report, but I fished next to the Village of Newton yesterday!
Guess it's a little bit older!

Closer and Closer to the 9th, and I should remember the 3rd!

Its the wifes birthday!

Ah well, an incentive to make up for it next year!

Cya

Trev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 03 May 2002 01:27:30 AM

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  01:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Thanks Adam
Another fascinating report, this just gets better.
We obviously crossed on posting, but I just had to come back and comment!
Another day , another Country, another mystery.
Thats what makes it so fascinating
Like Toma
I love fishing me!
Please don't ever let me find all the answers!

Trev

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  04:23:15 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Trev - current records for North Carolina

Sunfish lb/oz caught on
Bluegill 4/5 Catawba worm
Warmouth 1/13 Minnow
Redear 4/6 Orange Rooster-tail (aka shellcracker)
Perch
White 2/15 Strata Spoon
Yellow 2/9 Minnow

Although we won't likely see any up in that range. Probably all under a pound although I must admit to estimating weights most of the time. Pictures are fine but weights I just don't normally mess with. May while you are here though if you get all inspired and decide to get a nice set of digital scales.

Bass - if we get lucky we may get some above 4lbs and maybe above 5.

Catfish - depends on how much fishing time for them and how the water thru the dam is doing. Probably up to 5lbs but there are some 50s in the lake.

And locating them can be a bit of an issue. That is why I am spending the scouting time before you get here.

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page

Geoff P
The grumpy one!!

South Yorkshire

My Photo Album

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  06:22:10 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Geoff P to your friends list

After 8 days without wetting a line I am definately getting a bit fed up, so thank you roving reporters for your excellent reports.

Hopefully after this weekend I will be able to add storys of my escapades to the forum, but until then thank you all.

Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  07:42:36 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi all
wel now you know why i let trev do the report he's hell of a lot better than i am at these its an exelant one again trev.
Newt
the newton trev mentioned is where i live. they seem wierd looking fish to me but it is brill to see things from other lands it seems to bring them closer thanks.
malc & adam your both starting to catch up to trevs standard im going to have to improve on my writing at this rate there both interesting & very good reports.
these are just part of what makes this THEE site for anglers from allover there is nowhere else you can get such detailed reports.
just keep them coming

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  3:11:44 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Trev n Newt great reports as normal.

Martin once those fish have settled in the lake it'll fish it's head off.
I like the idea with the nets regards the wild balls. Years ago fished a lake on a golf course and the only protection we had was the brolly and that did not realy stop them.
I'll definatley have to sort a day there in the future.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  9:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

The Zippy Curse Returns after only a day!

I was looking forward to what may be the final pure Piking session until the autumn, due to my current schedule of Carp, Match meets, America and the new stretches of rivers and lakes I have obtained.

Catching up with the forum after a 3 day trip earlier and talking to other Insomniacs, like Red Leader, meant that, as I set off to Rudyard at 4.15 am, I pondered over the fact that more than 1 hours sleep might have been advisable!

Travelling the now familiar road, (well familiarity breeds contempt they say, I was rudely awakened by triggering, not just 1, but 2 Speed trap cameras within a quarter of a mile!

Ah! Well, something to look forward to in the future! And conformation that the Zip Curse was still active.

I was meeting ESOX and Trogg, but was the first to arrive at 5.10 am and quickly set up my Rod Pod.
John and Alan joined me shortly afterwards and I can confirm that John set up his Pike Rods using Bank sticks!
(Mind you, he had to lend his pod to Alan!

By 6.00. We were all set up using dead baits, fished on the bottom.
Mine were a mackerel, a Sprat and a smelt, all flavoured with Archie Braddock’s Pike Magic and dyed red with Van den Eyde Predator.

Exchanging the usual craic, we discussed forum topics and I had ordered between us several items from Askari, which I delivered.

Nice and early, I had a run on my right hand rod of 3 and struck into this nice Pike!

For the weight, (7lbs 12 oz) it fought well, making several determined runs, but was eventually netted by Alan safely.
Again, the fish had blindness in one eye, but was in good condition and beautifully marked as I hope this shows.
Deeper Orange colours than previous fish I have seen.

I think we were all pleased by the early success, but as it was me that caught, several threats were made and not really what you could call thinly veiled LOL

However, as time went on, no more runs happened and so I changed baits and re-cast as I was determined to be more pro-active and not sit so long on a bait that was losing scent and attraction.
Having changed at around 9.20, I predicted another fish at 10.00!
Lo and behold, almost to the minute I had another run, waited, struck and reeled in to find only an empty trace!
I had missed the strike.
I blame myself, as even at the outset, I was not confident that the soft sprat used was properly hooked!

The next to have a run was Alan, but again no connection was made.

John, still as ever cheerful, just could not seem to induce a take.

As Adam reported yesterday, Duck activity is at a peak!
Alan found a constant source of amusement in a pair that simply refused to leave my swim, despite constant encouragement from me in the form of various rocks and a brandished landing net!
Every so often, groups of unattached males would descend with harsh cries! Gang bang the unfortunate Duck, despite the best efforts of her Drake and then fly off again!
As Trogg said ‘She’s spent more time with her head under water than above’ due to the various Drakes clambering on her back!
Nature can be very cruel. (Or kind, as she seemed none the worse and certainly wouldn’t leave!)

Here the pests are!

12.30 came and again I checked and rebaited all 3 rods

Alan prepared his usual great fry up,
Sausages, Bacon, Eggs and Beans, really a handy man to have around!

Unfortunately, with a tooth extraction less than 24 hours ago, on anti-biotics to add to the other damn tablets and being tired, I really couldn’t do justice to this treat!
Sorry mate! But the effort was appreciated.
John didn’t have the same problem, as you can tell from his expression!

Well the afternoon passed in a mixture of fine weather, thunderstorms, hail and a return to sunshine!
Succumbing to sleep (exhaustion more like!) I was awakened at 5.15 to be informed that ‘enough was enough ‘ and the Zip curse was formally acknowledged to have returned.

Wishing me well on the US adventure, I parted company from these great guys after Alan, as usual, helped me pack away.

Driving home (carefully) I reflected that Rudyard, where I had caught my 1st and most recent Pike was sure to see me again, God willing!

Cheers

Trev

PS Newt,
Thanks for the Records!
Yeah, I am keen on getting a set of decent scales, so we can hopefully test them!
Don't work too hard in the location, I can share that with you whilre I'm over!

See you soon (sooner by the day!)

Trev

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

good one trev as usual keep them coming

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Hi Lads.
Great reports,just catching up due to pressure of work.

Malc,this foulhooking, i reckon its your well hard gobio's shoving the hook into the carp to get them out of the way so they can get at the bait.

Martin,the new lake looks as if it could become a cracker once everything has settled down and become established.Nice idea the nets to protect the pegs!are crash helmets optional?????

Adam,what can i say,great fishing & venues on your doorstep,you lucky lucky chap Envious? me? You Bet!

Trev/Newt,Envy doesn't even begin to describe it.Pure naked jealousy is more like it

Esox & Alan,you wont get any simpathy here.Esox you should know that when fishing with Trev it's your job to act as ghillie and Alan it's been so long since you've been that you've probably forgotten how to tackle up. Still it was nice of you to go along and provide one of your excellent fry-ups (forget petrol mate ,go into catering)

Once again great posts lads,the standard just keeps getting higher and higher,though how we poor mortals are ever going to top "Trev and Newt go wild in North Carolina" I just can't imagine.

Peter.
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  4:55:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

Peter - I do plan to make ole Trev use his wits and extensive knowledge of UK tactics for taking fish from interesting venues though. This one, for instance, which is on Tuckertown where we will be doing most of our fishing. The rock face continues pretty much directly down to about 20 feet. I'd love to set up on shore and give it a go but not sure how. Hopefully Trev can suggest.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Peter on 27 October 2002 4:38:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

esox.20

England

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add esox.20 to your friends list

Newt, the logical way to fish this area is by boat. roflshmbh. Seriously the only way that fish could be landed safely is by the use of a drop net. This type usually round in shape supported by 3/4 lengths of cord tied to the rim, into one length to haul it up. This type of net is used by sea anglers for use from high piers jetties etc. John

chill out go fishing

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 04 May 2002 :  8:17:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello all,

what a great site this is to read reports and threads on , it really has that something special that other sites lack.

anyway report : fri 3th may 2002,6pm to 9pm.
venue:clonee pond.
methods:my dad,waggler,lobworm over groundbait (choppie mix),feeding chopped worm and spraying maggotts.
me,spinner,size one mepps aglia long.

We decided to fish a short eveing session (the first time this year) on this one of my favoutite venues,its a lovely pond about 45mins drive from my home,its shallow and holds perch,eels and big shoals of lovely golden rudd (well not the ornamental golden rudd, just normal ones who are very gold),and 2 carp (but ill get to them later).it has some big fish of all species but we werent bothered with that today, we were just after a nice enjoyable evening ,with a few stripeys to liven things up.

my dad set up in a deep (well 3.5 feet but deep for this pond) hole in the lillies and fished two wagglers with lobworms on over choppie worm grounbait and was spraying mags to get the rudd and perch going.

i waded out in my chest waders into the pond and walked all around it spinning a small mepps.the water is gin clear and you can see the little perch attack the spinner,sometimes right up to your feet,they are aggressive little guys and often hit the spinner a number of times before finaly getting hooked,i also saw some huge shoals of rudd.i spun my way all around the lake and ended up with about 20 perch from 4 to 12 ozs , and one bigger one of about a pound and a quarter.it was really enjoyable,great fun.

what was even better was that i saw no sign of the carp that were present last year, some idiot stocked in three big commons about 7lbs two summers ago,i say idiot because this is a relly lovely fishery with some great rudd fishing , and i would hate to see carp take over. luckily it looks as though the carp have gone, either removed by a like minded rudd angler, or dead. hopefully they are alive in the canal or a bigger lake somewhere where they can live out their days and pack on some weight,clonee pond is just too small to support any number of big carp.

my dad sat it out in the deep spot for about 10 perch and 3 rudd on worm , some of the perch must have weighed about the same as the lobworm they were taken on,i love these little stripeys,they are just so aggressive for their size.he also got a lovely rudd just a shade under 2lbs on his last cast, a lovely buttery gold coloured fish,deep and wide.ill put up some pics in a while when i get my film developed, must get me a digicam.

all this and some very tame mallards made for a very enjoyable evening and when the sun faded and some flys hatched the rudd rippled the surface with their splashy rises.

Today,sat 4th may

i took a walk up my local stretch of canal , right across from my house, its looking good. the place has a totally different personality from what it did a couple of weeks ago,when it was clear and dull looking then. now it has a nice colour, lillies are begining to come to the surface and lots more fish are showing themselves. its an exciting time as my tench plan goes into action, step one being to go back tomorrow to pick out a swim and rake and prebait.

i spotted some nice shoals of roach under a bridge ,where some local kids tryed to catch them on a sea boat rod,15lbs line and a size 6 hook. so i brought them over some line,size 16`s,mags and groundbait and they managed to get a couple.i also saw a nice pike rush a shoal of fry and send them scattering.

i have to go now to boil up some hemp,bring on the summer

good luck
ADAM

http://communities.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.2 seconds.