The Maggotdrowners Forum - Where you fished today (Part 2)
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Old Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | Online Store
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

** THE MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM HAS MOVED **

To go to the New Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

Important - If this is your first time logging into the new Forums you will need to reset your Password
as your previous password will not work - Click to Reset Password

If you have any problems logging in or resetting your password, please contact us with your Username and Email Address using this link Contact Us and we will get you back in as soon as possible. Alternatively email HELP@maggotdrowning.com with your name and username

The Maggotdrowners Forums have moved however the content of the old forum can stll be viewed even though no further replies can be added. All this content (and more) can be found by going to our new forums. To go to the New Maggotdrowning.com Forums please click this link: THE NEW MAGGOTDROWNERS FORUM

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 Where you fished today (Part 2)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave
Red Leader

West Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 27 April 2002 :  09:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Dave to your friends list

Hi everyone,

It was suggested that we should start a new thread, 'Where you fished today (Part 2)' as the first one has now reached over 200 posts - so here we go

Heres are links to the previous thread:
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

So if you're new and have an hour spare take a read of the previous reports and lets continue posting.....

Dave

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement.

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 27 April 2002 :  11:56:23 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Spot on Dave,

But newcomers will need at least 3 hours to read the past post's.
I'm off fishing now will report back tonight how wet i get.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Go to Top of Page

ray
Life Member

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 27 April 2002 :  9:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ray's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ray to your friends list

fir tree fishery, appley bridge.
sat morn, arrived at approx 8:30, hailstone,rain,heavy wind.
set up brolly 1st, gust of wind, hey presto, snapped the b****y pole, left me sitting on my box wondering why we do this and holding onto my brolly with both hands. after about half an hour there was a lull in the wind and rain that allowed me to set up brolly properly.
set up a float rod, 5lb maxima to 3lb btm, small peacock waggler, size 16 hook.
plumbed depth and decided to fish at the bottom of the near shelf (4ft deep) just past the end of my rod (high wind would have made it near impossible to loose feed at any distance).
in went 20 casters plus a few mini pellets then time for a brew and a fag and get myself organised.
double caster on the hook, lowered the float into the water and fed 6 casters, first bite resulted in a small roach, 6 casters in, followed by my hook, next came a skimmer, caught a couple more roach then got a small tench, then the bites stopped, tried comming up in the water an inch at a time, nothing, tried at all depths but the bites had gone, went to an 18 hook with single caster, still nothing.
after about an hour(and in need if a toilet) i went back to 16 hook, 1" on the bottom, chucked in a handfull of mini pellets and about 20 casters, also chucked in 20 casters to my left about a foot from the bank (shelf is 12" deep) then went to loo, sat back down, another brew and a fag then in went my hook, again baited with double caster, a couple more small roach decided to play with me, every time i fed infront of me i also fed the same to my left hand swim, bites were few, swapping to my left hand swim didnt get me any more fish, after five hours i called it a day, ended up with a total of 1 tench, 2 skimmers and 9 roach, hard work but still enjoyable.

clean banks campaign 2002 still has a few vacancies.....are you a member?
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 27 April 2002 :  9:40:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Date: 27/04/02
Venue: Kilworth Sticks (Curans Pool)
Time: 3pm till 7.30pm

Got asked last night if i could help a friend out with some tips and advice on fishing the meat so me being me said no prob and we sorted out to go to Kilworth Sticks nr Rugby.

Kilworth Sticks has 3 pools open for fishing with 2 more just being built and stocked at the moment which are due to open for the summer.

My mate was going to get there before me and he was to choose the pool and swims which he duely did.

He arrived at 11am and chose to fish Curans Pool peg 28 opposite a reed bed at 13mtr, which would be a good guide as to how my way with meat would work as i'd never fished this pool before.
Before i arrived he'd caught 4 small carp about 12oz each on cubed meat over riddled meat and corn feed.

After sitting behind him for half hour watching what he was doing and offering some pointers regards feeding and hooking meat i went and set up.

I sat on peg 27 which had reed mace on the edge of the island at 13mtr and on the inside.

I had a depth of 3ft tight to the clump of mace at 13mtr and the same depth on the inside line 4mtrs down to the right.
So i could use the same rig for each swim which was a 0.20gr carbon stemmed float with 2x8 shot set at half depth on 0.10mm line tied to a 16 animal hook and attached to a 14 lacy.

I fed half pot of riddled meat and 2mm trout pellets on each line then started on the far line.
First put in with 2 pellets of 3mm meat produced a pastie carp of about 12oz which was followed next put in with it's twin.

Then the wind got up and with me only being a bag of bones i could not hold the pole there so moved to the inside swim.

First put in on the inside produced a mirror carp about 4lb which meant in five put in's i had about 51/2lb in the net.
After 3 more smaller carp i had a rudd so in went another half pot of meat and pellets which straight away resulted in a couple more carp around the lb mark.

Whilst fishing as the platforms were only about 10mtr apart i was coaxing my mate as to how and when to feed and other little tips which resulted in him weighing in 111/2lb and gaining a bit of helpfull advice with how i fish the meat.

A few other anglers were fishing on the opposite side of the island and only caught a couple of small carp each on either maggot or corn.

I ended with 1 Tench,2 Rudd and 9 Carp for 171/2lb and only used about a third of a tin of meat and an egg cup of 2mm trout pellets so was quite happy with the short session and it also proved that my meat attack works at another venue.

And my mate went away with a new way of fishing and feeding the meat.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  12:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Brilliant Success story MALC,
I will try and learn from that and thanks for keeping explaining your methods.
After yesterdays help from another succesful Angler, it restores my faith in the genuine guys in the fishing world!

Cya Trev
PS sorry Ray, wrapped up in MALCS meat saga!
Thanks for report, less successful, but worse conditions, and well written,
Thought of you yesterday, genuinely by the bankside!
I took home with me someone elses Plumrose tin!, Something I dont normally do!, but prompted by three things,
1) New club and swim, wanna keep it nice!
2) Owed Stewart for his kindness,
3) your constant Keep it clean! campaign LOL all power to your keyboard!

Trev
ZiptrevShouldn't happen to a DOG!

Edited by - Ziptrev on 28 April 2002 12:12:22 AM

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dai Fish
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  01:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dai Fish's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Dai Fish to your friends list

Hi all,

Ray nice report even if the weather was not the best, after watching your method for fishing at your toes at Isac Waltons I have been trying it with some good results, I had never considered fishing that close in so thanks for the tip.

Malc nice report, whilst fishing a method that I have been unable to master, I have tried many times to fish with meat but with no sucsess either the meat comes off when I cast or I do not get any bites so may be you could show me one day.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to do these reports, please keep up the good work

Dai Fish

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  07:22:45 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi all
firstly thanks dave for splitting topic
secondly malc did you forget to include trevs posts thats 6hrs on there own but well worth it.
im trying your method with meat today at virginia lakes in a match
so will post later.
ray & malc good reports keep em coming

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

norm

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  8:25:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norm to your friends list

NOWERE

for the first sunday in ages i did not go fishing.
instead me and tomma went to semer.
to see the farmer,
and it was blowing a absolute gale,
totally unfishable,
every one was packing up when we arrived,
they said it was a bite every cast but were unable to sit in
such strong wind and rain, and i dont blame them
it must have been very windy as it blew a cup of tea out of tommas hand all over him and the carseat

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

Go to Top of Page

martin.
Account Locked

England

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  8:58:28 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin. to your friends list

hi
today i fished a small 26 peg open on virginia lake
it holds a good head of carp, roach, rudd, golden rudd, tench & some bream & chub
i decided to do one of malcs suggestions with meat so i put 2 tins of bacongrill through a maggot riddle exept 2 slices in case i wanted larger hook bait i also took maggots& caster with me
wel i drew a peg with an island feature but it was 14,5m to island& the hot peg was the other side towards the piont any way there was no way of holding a pole at this range today so iset up a mea line at
7 mts on pole & a wagler to the island well started on wag & had 6 small rudd in first hour switched to pole & had 3 small carp to 2lb
then apart from the odd roach & rudd i just sat there with the wind & rain in my face till the final call
any way i wieghed in just under 10lb & cme about 12 from 26
it was one with 31lb from other side of island 30lb 2nd 25lb 3rd
any way i put it down to weather & despite my result found method was o/k im fishing another on tue eve at button hole so will try this method again
ifany one is interested in knowing more about virginia lake it is in the AT this week with bob nudd doing his feature with one of my friends ray malley.

tight lines.
martin.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement..

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

keith
Gandhi

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit keith's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add keith to your friends list

Rolfs lake.

fished peg 6( not a noted area)

fished expander pellet at 11 m as the wind was strong and blowing the pole all over the place.Also put some catmeat in at peg 5 as the peg was empty and was told if you are going to catch good chance it would be there later in the day.

Not a lot happened on the 11m line with the expander pellet kept plugging away though as it can just switch on.but after 3 hours it was time for a look on the catmeat.first put in and the float sailed away.gudgeon followed by another and another not a sign of a carp in sight.back to 11m this time with catmeat on the hook and guess what.Carp and then another.then gudgeon and small chublets.
Only two carp for my efforts but i am booked in again for next sunday so will fish the meat from the off next time.

158lb won with 154lb second off the flyer pegs.and not a ripple in sight all day long.

Go to Top of Page

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  9:47:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Date: 28/04/02
Venue: Stockton Reservoir
Time: 9.30am till 3.00pm

Todays was going to be a practise session on the Bagging Waggler with my traveling partner Steve Wilson (yes Steve now all the MD's know who you are).
But with the wind blowing a gale, waves upto a foot high and blistering rain it turned out to be a day on the feeder instead.

Steve arrived at 8.00am as planned (he's never late unlike me i'm always late) but we never left till about half past due to chattering and a cuppa coffee as it was not a match (for a change) there was no rush.

We arrived at the Res at 8.45 and had a walk around to see if anywhere was sheltered from the wind.
The far end was the only sheltered bit but as there were already 8 anglers there and none of them had any bites we walked back to the car and said sod it we'll go by the books and fish in the wind.

I told Steve to pick the pegs then it would be his fault if we done no good, so he chose peg 57 (so the wind was from right to left into our bank) and i sat on 58 so that i would not have to watch Steve bagging all day.
Normally at this time of year he slaughters me when we go on a practise/pleasure session (and today was no different).

I fished a semi fixed frame feeder on 6lb maxima with a 10" hook length of 0.16 to a size 16 animal hook with either pellet or meat on the hair.
Steve fished 10lb mainline (he's an animal) with a korum flat method feeder to a pre tied hair rig with a 14 hook (middy i think) with pellet as hook bait.

Steve had the better day of us both hooking 11 carp but pulling out of 5 and landing 6 with the smallest going about a lb and the best one about 8lb plus 1 chub for a total weight of about 25lb.

Me, well i had 2 carp 1 about 1lb and the other about 9lb plus 1 chub and lost 3 more carp to end the day with about 11lb.

Needless to say i got loads of stick during the day as we are always giving each other verbal when were together.

But there's always next week for revenge.

Ray,
Good report we had your wind today.
Dai,
If you want we can sort some thing out after Drayton regards a day on the meat.
Toma,
I tend to use 4 different type's of meat but mainly Chira Bacon Grill.
Martin,
Good report the weather was against you though.

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Trogg
the ba'stard

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  11:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trogg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Trogg to your friends list

Hi Lads

Thanks for taking the time to sit & fish then report back on methods etc i'm gonna have to try this catching lark sometime then do a report (should be fun).

"went fishing, blanked (again) came home the end"

LOL keep the reports coming peeps cos i've gotta admit i love to read them, i don't get much chance myself at the moment & this way i feel like i've been (yes Dave & blanked).

Alan
You've just been moderated

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

South Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  11:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list

Old Bury Hill Fishery.
Milton Lake.
Peg 17.

First club match of the new season and first Round of the club Knockout Cup.
Peg 17 is about as far away from the "Flyers" as it's possible to get,but in the last couple of weeks the fish have started to respond to corn or meat fished over pellet,so that was to be the plan of attack today.

The wind was already pretty strong and blowing from my right to left,with the promise of it getting stronger later.
Knowing that i had no more than 4 ft of water in front i set up a Drennan .8gm Lake on .12 matchtec with a .10 matchtec hooklength and a size 16 Preston PR22 hook.(This hook has quite an unusual shape,with a pronounced swept shank that i find ideal for meat and corn,and has great holding power)The other was just a dibber on .12 straight through and the same pattern hook.

I had started at 6 mtrs as i didn't want to feed to a spot that i wouldn't be able to reach later.A couple of pots of "Swim Stim" 3mm pellets, corn & meat in front & one against the marginal reeds to my left was the initial feed.
The first couple of hours produced just a couple of skimmers as the wind got steadily worse and showers came and went.People all around were having to alter their lines as the wind increased while i was able to stay on my chosen line.

Meat produced not one bite while maggot only resulted in micro-rudd.
So onward with the corn ( a bait i always have confidence in) and with an hour and a half to go,the float buries and a lovely Crucian of about 1lb is in the net.Two more follow then 3 Tench,the best about 3lbs.Another couple of Crucians and a Bream of about 3lb are added before the final whistle.All the fish came from the 6mtr line with not a bite in the margin swim.

At the weigh-in it's persisting down and the wind is so strong that it is difficult to read the scales.The pegs either side of me weigh in 8lbs 10ozs ans 2lbs 8 ozs.I weigh in a level 16 lbs to finish 5th. It's enough to get me through to the next round of the Knockout and gives me 6 points towards the club championship.
Well 1 down 16 to go.

The next match is at Gold Valley on Syndicate Lake in 2 weeks time,I'll keep you posted.

Peter.
Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dai Fish
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 28 April 2002 :  11:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dai Fish's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Dai Fish to your friends list

Hi all the speed that the reports and replys are comeing now we will soon need part three.

Keith nice report shame about the wind theres not a lot you can do when its like that and needing over 158lb to win well I can only dream of weights like that lol.

Malc sounds like you had a blast even if he did beat you I love it when theres banter on the bank I hate to take things to seriously. yes please to the tutorial at Drayton.

Trogg if you are still blanking on these reports you will have to do what you do when you want to have a photo with a fish let Dian read the reports as she is the only one in your house that can catch on the bank maybe she wont blank on the reports lol

Dai Fish

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 29 April 2002 :  01:55:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello all

well done on the catches , and the reports.

is this the famous 10lbs carp everywhere drayton resevoir you
are all going to,if so im jealous,bream can get soo tedious and
the tench are not really on yet, im stuck in the twilight zone between the pike and tench seasons!!

old bury hill fishery looks lovely.

report: sunday 28th april 2002
venue:liffey resevoir,co.kildare,ireland.
mehtod:slider float bait:maggots.casters,hemp,sensas match blend and brown crumb

what a horrible run of weather in the last few days,today was just the same, i had planned to fish the river liffey proper but it was just too high and coloured so i settled for the resevoir . I fished from the "pier" which is actually the top of a partailly sunken boat house built before the resevoir was flooded.I was fishing into 14 feet of water a rod lenght out , i was tempted to fish pole to hand but it was too windy to be comfortable and the undertow wasnt too bad so i settled for slider float.

i set up a 3AA bodied waggler,2lbs hooklenght and 18 hook.put in four balls of ground bait and fed hemp,casters and mags over the top.The resevoir was a nice colour due to the flooded river,fished for about 4 hours for 6lbs of roach and skimmers to about 6ozs and one tail walking brownie of about 1lbs 4oz.most fish took on the bottom or in the last feet over water.hooked one better fish probably a bream,but i lost it without seeing it.got fed up at 4 o`clock with the rain pouring down and i left,cold but satisfied.ill be back to prebait and fish a week session in july.

here are a few pics from previous reports that i only got a chance to scan on tonight.

This is from a few days ago 17th of april,it rained all day.sorry its a bad pic but the rain was so heavy the camera picked it up and wouldnt focus well.About 50lbs or so of mainly bream and hybrids.

This is from good friday,part of a similar bag again of bream and hybrids mainly,but hurrah theres a tench in there too.

Finally this is the river liffey just above where it flows into the resevoir,pic is from last summer.

again i hope the pics are not too big.

Good luck all
ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Ziptrev
Roving Reporter

United Kingdom

Posted - 29 April 2002 :  02:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ziptrev's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ziptrev to your friends list

Thanks Adam,
Another good 1,
Makes you think when you see NEWTS post!

Our small Country's even share bad weather!

The scale of things is such a contrast.

Great Pics for viewing , (dont know what the download will do when full lol sorry Dave)

The River Liffey hey! legendary Guinness water!

C U Soon

Trev

ZiptrevShouldn't happen to a DOG!

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 29 April 2002 :  02:24:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello

yeah good guiness water, in fact the very first pint of guiness ever brewed was brewed in my home town , and only about 20 other towns in ireland lay claim to that one,but i know ours is the legit claim it says it on the welcome sign outside the village,and they never lie.lol
ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Advertisement...

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

MALC
Life Member

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 29 April 2002 :  1:42:12 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MALC to your friends list

Keith,
Glad to see you made it to Rolfs but i think you'll have to nobble Kev before sunday as he seems to be on a roll at the minute what with Rolfs before WA and now back at Rolfs.
I'll put money on him for the summer.

Peter,
Keep it up the season's got a long way to go.

Adam,
Nothing wrong with the pictures mate except they make me envious, i'm surrounded by Carp bagging waters but miss the Bream & Roach fishing that your so lucky to have over there. Yes Adam thats the Same Drayton were at on the 20th

Malc

Go to Top of Page

Ray Owen
'Nomad'

Mid Glamorgan
Wales

Posted - 29 April 2002 :  8:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Owen's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Ray Owen to your friends list

Hi all,

Duty newcommer ere. Well gents i have just read all part one and also part 2 and just in case u are intrested it took 127 mins or in welsh 2hrs 7mins. What can u say ! If all what i just read was in paper back it would cost u a few pound i bet. I have been fishing for 30 yrs+ and i have just scribbled down 2 sides of A4 paper in tips with out naming names that was the best read i have had in ages. I hope i can add to it in the new season ( I do not fish the closed season ) and pass on some of the methods i use in the hope they could help somebody else.

Once again tks to u all

tight lines

Ray

Go to Top of Page

Adam S
Account Locked

Posted - 30 April 2002 :  01:48:43 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam S to your friends list

Hello all

toma,well done mate thats a big tench by irish standards,
despite the rumours of 10lbs fish they just havent materialised
and the record remains 8.15lbs. so any tench over 7lbs is a real cracker from anywhere in ireland.

ADAM

Go to Top of Page

Newt
'Lures Rule!!'

USA

Posted - 30 April 2002 :  03:34:07 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newt to your friends list

quote:
i have just read all part one and also part 2 and just in case u are intrested it took 127 mins or in welsh 2hrs 7mins.

Ray - it was nice of you to translate the 127 minutes into hours and minutes.

However, you should know that for some folks on here, you need to go a step farther.

For any who are still confused about the time thing, that means that Mickey's short arm has moved past 2 big marks (the ones with numbers) and his long arm has moved past an additional 1 big and 2 more little marks.

Toma - did that help?

Newt Vail

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2018 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.17 seconds.