The Maggotdrowners Forum - Shakespeare Superteam LXL Multi Length Match Rods
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Shakespeare Superteam LXL Multi Length Match Rods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 07 January 2006 :  9:29:58 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
My wife bought me a Shakespeare Superteam LXL 12-16ft rod for Christmas and after a few sessions on the river I'm very, very impressed with it.

At 16ft it is without any doubts one of the best long rods on the market. It has a very slim blank. It is very crisp and light and it has a beautiful parabolic action however, unlike the carbonactive and MAP long rods, which are quite powerful, it has plenty of finesse and is ideal for small hooks and fine hook lengths.

The beauty of this rod is that it has five sections, two of which are butt sections. Four sections make the 16ft rod, however if you take the top two sections and use the other butt section you have one of the best 12ft rods I have seen. At 12ft this rod is amazingly light, slim and crisp. It is a perfect light waggler rod, which is also capable of taming the occasional beast, and the action can only be described as amazing.

This is a proper river rod that excells for roach dace and chub fishing however, Shakespeare have given it has a line rating to 6lbs so it should be equally at home on commercials although I personally feel that it would be a shame to abuse such a nice rod.

The rod is also available in 13-17ft and 14-18ft lengths and although I wasn't keen on the 14-18ft model, (I don't like 14ft rods), these rods are amazing and are without a doubt the best rods that Shakespeare have produced in the last twenty years.

The most amazing thing about these rods is the price. The RRP starts from 130 however, if you look about you can pick them up for less than 100. The cheapest that I have seen is 82 for the 12-16ft model which is an absolute steal.

If you are in the market for a new rod, take a look at one of these, as you won't be able to fault it. It is a top class match rod that should sell for well over the RRP and it's amazing that Shakespeare can sell them and still make a profit at the hugely discounted price.

Don't assume that it's just a good long rod as at the shorter lengths the rods are superb and I would compare it favourably alongside my Carbonactive and Maver Reactolites which cost double the price which gives a good indication of how good this rod is.

Incidently, if you see a 15-17ft carbonactive or a MAP Ultra 17ft rod on ebay, it may be one of the two anglers that I have shown this rod to, who are going to sell their rods to get one of these. If that's not a good recommendation, I don't know what is.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

joker

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 13 January 2006 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit joker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Quote this Post
hope your right i just ordered one of these on your recomendation.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 16 January 2006 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
Joker.

You should never buy something without seeing it first, however if you don't like the rod I'll be amazed, because every time I use it and hook a fish, I can't help thinking that I've got the bargain of the year.

Go to Top of Page

joker

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 17 January 2006 :  10:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit joker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Quote this Post
not tried it yet, but very impressed with the finish and feel of the rod.
like you said at 12 feet it is amazingly light and slim at a great price and with the added bonus of a great 16 feet stick rod.
thanks
now all i need is a reel to match it, I dont really want to pay 175 for a diawa but they are real class. any ideas dont want a reel with rear drag though.

Go to Top of Page

jonesr
Life Member

Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 January 2006 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jonesr to your friends list  Quote this Post
Shimano

Ron J

Age isn't everything!Experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 18 January 2006 :  6:27:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
I use the Shimano Super Perfection Match reels, however any of the modern match reels will balance the rod perfectly.

Personally I wouldn't pay more that 70 for a reel as there are loads on the market for less than this, all of which are superb and will last you years.

I prefer rear drag reels as they are far more versatile than front drag reels but every body has their own preferences.

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 18 January 2006 :  8:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list  Quote this Post
Joker if you look on ebay.com, you can pick up a Daiwa Capricorn 2000 or 1500 (same reel) from the states quite often for less that 50, these are a top quality front drag reel and would probably set you back over 100 here. They are superb for float fishing.

Several members of this forum have brought these on my recommendation and none have been dissapointed.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic
Go to Top of Page

john allen

Suffolk
England

Posted - 21 January 2006 :  12:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit john allen's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add john allen to your friends list  Quote this Post
I would like to buy one of these,but can't find stockists, anyone know where they can be found?.

Go to Top of Page

joker

Derbyshire
England

Posted - 21 January 2006 :  10:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit joker's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add joker to your friends list  Quote this Post
hi john
I ordered mine from rugby tackle 01788-544913 89 and it came next day.
or you can order it here http://www.nwac.co.uk/acatalog/copy...ch_Rods.html

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Terry D
Life Member

Hampshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 January 2006 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terry D to your friends list  Quote this Post
I have several top of the range Shimano reels but whenever I'm fishing the waggler or stick for roach I always go for my ABU 1044's. Small, lightweight, no rear drag and a short reel stem so it's easy to reach the lip of the spool with your fingers. Try one joker - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Go to Top of Page

Kristoria

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 13 February 2009 :  9:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kristoria's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Kristoria to your friends list  Quote this Post
May I sincerely suggest that you have a serious look at the Shakespeare Mach2 or 3 reels. I love them; to death.

Shakespeare bought out a prolific reel manufacturer on the late 60's called Pflueger these reels were and are beautifully made fishing line dispensers and gatherers. The Mach3 reels, made to suit their Mach (pronounced Mak) 2 & 3 gear are built of many parts that are Pflueger compatible. In America one of their top hit parade reels is the Pflueger and when you pick up a Mach3 don't you just know why.

I have nothing absolutely nothing to do with Shakespeare that approaches commercial but I absolutely guarantee that if you give yourself the time to check out either Pflueger or Mach3 reels you will buy one I am absolutely sure.

I rest my case.
Tight lines.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Davethefish

Posted - 09 March 2009 :  2:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Davethefish's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Davethefish to your friends list  Quote this Post
Have always found the higher end Shakespeare Match rods excellent performers, and far better value than a lot of Prestige models that tend to have a fashion following as much as anything else.

Go to Top of Page

little_roach
Bazzer

Lancashire
England

Posted - 28 March 2009 :  12:17:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add little_roach to your friends list  Quote this Post
Anyone got the LXL feeder and if so, what are your views on it?

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 29 March 2009 :  02:25:29 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
Do you mean the 11/12/13 ft Superteam Feeder if so see http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum...rteam,feeder

Go to Top of Page

Jim H
Life Member

Gt. London
United Kingdom

Posted - 22 November 2009 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim H to your friends list  Quote this Post
I have the 12/16 foot version of this rod, and I would say it's well worth considering:

At 12 foot it's very light, well balanced and has a very nice action - the tip is soft but this blends through to quite a bit of back-bone in the lower sections without locking up. Perfect for small rivers, and also my first choice waggler rod for all but the heaviest duty commercials, as it's at home with hooklengths from 0.08 to 0.16mm.

At 16 foot it's quite through-actioned, relatively well balanced and a decent tool for fishing top-and-bottom floats on rivers. There are better, but this is still pretty good.

The build-quality is very good and the cosmetics are no-nonsense: dark grey blank, black whippings, Fuji rings and reel seat. I would say that the Fuji reel seat, which is a screw-up winch fitting with a black, hard to the touch tapered front-of-handle, isn't aesthetically pleasing - but whilst it looks a little cheap, I suspect that these types of fittings are more robust than the screw-down handles that I have on most of my other rods.

In summary, I lacked both a versatile 12' rod and a long rod for the stick - so this was a perfect solution at a very reasonable price. The 12' rod really is as good as any other out there, whilst the 16' is pretty good as a bonus, making this a fantastic proposition. However, if you are only looking for a long rod and the shorter configuration is not a priority for you, then it might be worth considering other options.

Edited by - Jim H on 22 November 2009 9:28:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 22 November 2009 :  11:57:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
Jim.

I used the 16ft model to win the Wye Festival a few weeks ago. On the two days I used it, I had several anglers comment an the action of the rod which is one of the best I've used.

I'm not to sure that you can quantify that there may be better rods out there at 16ft as most manufacturers manufacture rods in 15ft and 17ft lengths so it's hard to draw a good comparrison. Out of the longer rods I have tried the John Allerton 17ft Tri-Cast is probably the best but I wouldn't swap the LXL for anything else because at 12ft there are very few rods that come close.

I totally agree about the handle and I did ask Shakespeare to consider remarketing the rod with a standard handle however once you get used to it' it's not that bad.

If anybody is considering a dedicated long rod also look at the Mach 3 XT 15ft 3 piece, it's a very good rod at an exceptional price, better than some retailing at twice the price.

Go to Top of Page

Jim H
Life Member

Gt. London
United Kingdom

Posted - 24 November 2009 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim H to your friends list  Quote this Post
Top Dog, I think we're in agreement: I was thinking of the JA TriCast rod when I said 'there are better'. So if I were to consider purely on which long rod to buy, my preference would be for that rather than the LXL...

As you say, it's also a top-drawer 12 footer, and the combination is extraordinary value - which is why I bought one!

To be clear regarding the handle: it certainly looks a bit naff, but it does as good a job as others, and isn't uncomfortable. I think that it's in keeping with the overall proposition of top-end Shakespeare rods - the focus is on delivering an excellent fishing tool for the money, rather than being flash and fashionable. (Hmm, whilst I'm waxing lyrical about Shakespeare, I might dig out my elderly Equaliser Extended Splice for a day on the Kennett...)

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

fishhead
toon barmy

Tyne and Wear
England

Posted - 30 December 2009 :  7:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishhead's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishhead to your friends list  Quote this Post
Just ordered a Shakespeare Superteam LXL Match Rod 12-16ft on this and other recommendations. Can't wait to recieve it and get on the river with it. Cheers for the review Top Dog. I'm sure it'll be a cracking rod.

Go to Top of Page

andykoi

Posted - 30 December 2009 :  10:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykoi's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andykoi to your friends list  Quote this Post
had mine about a year, cant fault it

Go to Top of Page

waglerbg

Bulgaria

Posted - 18 January 2010 :  08:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit waglerbg's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add waglerbg to your friends list  Quote this Post
Have you ever cast 10-25gr. slyders with this rod?

Go to Top of Page

Dave Brittain
Shakespeare

Somerset

Posted - 25 January 2010 :  07:07:18 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave Brittain to your friends list  Quote this Post
A 25g slider is almost an ounce.

To fish the slider correctly you shouldn't be using more than 6g down the line, (4-6 g is most common). Most sliders are incorrectly made and should have minimal loading on the float.

To make your own buy some heavy lead wire as used by fly anglers and some big boddied wagglers from 3.5 SSG/7AA upwards. Wrap the wire around the float from the bottom of the body down the plastic stem until the wire is just above the float eye, (you should have aprox 6-7mm of lead wire running down the stem). Add a touch of araldite to glue it in place and smooth it all over the lead coils to finish. You should now have the perfect slider.

Cast the float off your bulk and if you've done it right the minimal loading with keep the float with the ollivette or bulk.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.16 seconds.