The Maggotdrowners Forum - Avon and the canal - Stratford summer
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Venue Advice and Information
 Avon and the canal - Stratford summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mc Andy

Aberdeenshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 January 2014 :  5:42:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mc Andy to your friends list  Quote this Post
Hi folk...quite a rangey question here. I am a SE english man residing up in the scottish highlands and looking to get down to Stratford for a week over the bank holiday Aug weekend and have a few questions.

On the Avon itself, how does it fish summer time opposite the theatre? Not in the day time as I know I will be plagued by people and boats but in the evening. Is it a club stretch or on day ticket?

Lucy's pool. Fished here night time before and just pulled skimmers but does this still fish OK? Last time I was just past the weir/island and opposite the corner of the flats. Good spot or not?

Further down stream, past the foot bridge and on the opposite bank, is all private club swims, yes?

Also...sticking past the footbridge and on the opposite side to the theatre, any good spots here downstream? Looking for a lazy quiet summers day to fish. I have been on this stretch before but my young son was with me so I ended up needing the flat open space down by the lock which was non productive but it taught my son how to cast and retrieve. Just couldnt see any fishy spots.

Upstream from the theatre/pavillion, any good non club day spots there?

And finally...thanks for your patience by the way....the canal. Worth a punt and if so, where?

Essentially looking for a lazy summer day time fish and also a long evening session.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Pickard1
Life Member

Leicestershire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 January 2014 :  7:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pickard1's Homepage  Click to see Pickard1's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add Pickard1 to your friends list  Quote this Post
Not sure if this helps....he gets turfed off the main marina....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rroYa5K8g

Go to Top of Page

bluemack
Life Member

Site Supporter

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 January 2014 :  9:57:30 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluemack to your friends list  Quote this Post
Hi Andy,first of all i know nothing about the canal!!!
This stretch of the avon is run by leamington a.a,they sell day ticket,s on the bank 3.50(if they come round).The stretch fishes very well in the summer usually but as you say people and boats can be a pain, swans and geese are a bigger problem(too many of em).As for the fishing,anywhere from the boathouse fence down to the left of the theatre(as you face it)are all good pegs,my favourites being the first 6 pegs from the boathouse,there is pretty well everything in here......nice roach,hybrids,good bream i,ve had them to 8lb,good perch(lot,s of em),eels ,the odd good chub,pike and zander and some huge carp(evening best).Maggots and groundbait will do the job.
Any method will work waggler,stick,pole or feeder.
For the carp,pellet appears to be the bait.
Now,if you go down to the weirs(lucy,s mill)there are some big barbel in the weirs, 16lb is the best i,ve of heard of.A large groundbait feeder cast towards the wall to the left of the tunnel which runs under the flats SHOULD find the bream which run to 7/8lb(you must give them plenty of bait)Below lucy,s mill used to be Birmingham anglers,i think it,s Stratford angler,s now but not 100pc sure.To be honest you don,t need it you,ll have more than enough to go at.One other thing,if you drive there, go into swans neck lane,near the town,about 100yds on your left you will see the cherry trees hotel,it,s only 3.00 all day to park(honesty box),alternatively park on the council car park and pay around 8.00 all day!! All the best mate.Mal.

Go to Top of Page

bluemack
Life Member

Site Supporter

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 31 January 2014 :  10:03:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluemack to your friends list  Quote this Post
If you go for the bream on lucy,s mill you need to cast right over it tends to be considerably deeper here and although i have,nt had a big net of bream i,m told 100lb plus is achievable.

Go to Top of Page

Mc Andy

Aberdeenshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 01 February 2014 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mc Andy to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :
Originally posted by bluemack

Hi Andy,first of all i know nothing about the canal!!!
This stretch of the avon is run by leamington a.a,they sell day ticket,s on the bank 3.50(if they come round).The stretch fishes very well in the summer usually but as you say people and boats can be a pain, swans and geese are a bigger problem(too many of em).As for the fishing,anywhere from the boathouse fence down to the left of the theatre(as you face it)are all good pegs,my favourites being the first 6 pegs from the boathouse,there is pretty well everything in here......nice roach,hybrids,good bream i,ve had them to 8lb,good perch(lot,s of em),eels ,the odd good chub,pike and zander and some huge carp(evening best).Maggots and groundbait will do the job.
Any method will work waggler,stick,pole or feeder.
For the carp,pellet appears to be the bait.
Now,if you go down to the weirs(lucy,s mill)there are some big barbel in the weirs, 16lb is the best i,ve of heard of.A large groundbait feeder cast towards the wall to the left of the tunnel which runs under the flats SHOULD find the bream which run to 7/8lb(you must give them plenty of bait)Below lucy,s mill used to be Birmingham anglers,i think it,s Stratford angler,s now but not 100pc sure.To be honest you don,t need it you,ll have more than enough to go at.One other thing,if you drive there, go into swans neck lane,near the town,about 100yds on your left you will see the cherry trees hotel,it,s only 3.00 all day to park(honesty box),alternatively park on the council car park and pay around 8.00 all day!! All the best mate.Mal.

Thanks Mal,

You are filling my trip full of promise!!

Last time I was there on lucy's pool, I was fishing fairly close in just either side of the main current coming down from the weir. I was on meat and just kept on pulling out heaps of skimmers. I will try further back on a feeder rig and go for the bream but those barbel to tempt me. But when you say tunnel under the flats, there is a higher wall that ends, some form of sluice type gate and then a lower wall up to the corner of the plot for the flats. It is sluice the tunnel?

Saying this, I will have an 8yr old with me so perhaps up on the pegs nearer the boathouse will be more productive for him and keep his interest.

If I remember rightly, there are some collapsed willows on the island near the lower weir and last time I was there, they was a man who I was sure was Mr Crabtree with his cane rod and centre pin fishing the waggler quite close in. He swore there was a giant in there as he had hooked it more than once and every time it broke off. Hope he hasn't spooked it yet as I will be there in the summer to find out what it is.

Thanks again

Andy

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

bluemack
Life Member

Site Supporter

Warwickshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 February 2014 :  7:34:32 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluemack to your friends list  Quote this Post
Hi Andy,to be honest i,d fish the town stretch next to the boathouse in the town to begin with,run the waggler down the middle and catapult a dozen maggots every cast for some nice roach and the occasional dace.
fish the stick a couple of rod lengths out and hold it back hard about 10ins over depth for roach,perch and some very good bream.I,ve found its best to ball in 6 good sized balls of groundbait while your setting up 2.7 line,and a 20 hook.
Fish as tight to the bank as you like for plenty of perch to 2lb.
Personally,i prefer not to fish stratford in the summer purely because it gets a touch to busy.
As for Lucy,s mill,if you position yourself opposite and in the middle of the flats,this is where you should find the bream and the tail of the weir nearest to you is where you should pick up the odd barbel,you don,t need to cast into the weir, just 2/3 rod lengths will do the job,just be aware the barbel are not in great numbers i dont bother with them anymore to much of a waiting game.If you let me know when you go i,ll come and have a day with ya if you want its only 25mins from me.

Go to Top of Page

Mc Andy

Aberdeenshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 February 2014 :  8:30:02 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mc Andy to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :

Hi Andy,to be honest i,d fish the town stretch next to the boathouse in the town to begin with,run the waggler down the middle and catapult a dozen maggots every cast for some nice roach and the occasional dace.
fish the stick a couple of rod lengths out and hold it back hard about 10ins over depth for roach,perch and some very good bream.I,ve found its best to ball in 6 good sized balls of groundbait while your setting up 2.7 line,and a 20 hook.
Personally,i prefer not to fish stratford in the summer purely because it gets a touch to busy.
As for Lucy,s mill,if you position yourself opposite and in the middle of the flats,this is where you should find the bream and the tail of the weir nearest to you is where you should pick up the odd barbel,you don,t need to cast into the weir, just 2/3 rod lengths will do the job,just be aware the barbel are not in great numbers i dont bother with them anymore to much of a waiting game.If you let me know when you go i,ll come and have a day with ya if you want its only 25mins from me.

Thanks Mal,

I have this page book marked and will get back to you nearer the time as the wife has booked a town house for the week and I am deffo down there.

As for the summer, yes I know what you mean, perhaps not as bad but I used to live Windsor way and fished the thames all the time. Pleasure boats, rowing boats and the summer cruisers played havoc but when I got a summer day spot going well, dace and roach all day long kept me a happy man. Nothing says more about a good summer days fishing than tight red skin, dried crusted ground bait round your hands and fish slime odour!

Go to Top of Page

Yellowbard
Life Member

Warwickshire

Posted - 07 February 2014 :  8:32:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yellowbard to your friends list  Quote this Post
If your going to fish the canal,(I live 1 min. away from one of the hotspots) then you will probably be on your own! For some reason nobody fishes it although its very good. Carp and bream plus perch and the normal skimmers, up to Wilmcote and I have heard of zander in the area. If all else fails there is always Ardens Fishery which is very good.
Contact the ONLY fishing shop in town, they will always help out.

PM me a little closer to the date and I will get you some up to date information

Go to Top of Page

Mc Andy

Aberdeenshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 February 2014 :  8:48:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mc Andy to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :
Originally posted by Yellowbard

If your going to fish the canal,(I live 1 min. away from one of the hotspots) then you will probably be on your own! For some reason nobody fishes it although its very good. Carp and bream plus perch and the normal skimmers, up to Wilmcote and I have heard of zander in the area. If all else fails there is always Ardens Fishery which is very good.
Contact the ONLY fishing shop in town, they will always help out.

PM me a little closer to the date and I will get you some up to date information

Thanks for that.

Andy

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Mc Andy

Aberdeenshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 August 2014 :  9:36:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mc Andy to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :

Hi there....I am down there from this saturday night for a week so if you are about...drop us a pm or something and we can make contact.
Thanks

Andy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.12 seconds.