The Maggotdrowners Forum - long range feeder rod roach/bream
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Talk
 long range feeder rod roach/bream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davidk

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  8:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidk's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add davidk to your friends list  Quote this Post
Im still struggling to find a suitable long range feeder rod for roach and bream. Ideally 13ft with the power to accurately cast large heavy open feeders mid to long distance 60 - 80m.
I've researched the preston dutchmaster range but am still unsure. I noticed prestons c tech 11/13ft but thought with its through action may be too soft to accurately cast big feeders, fairly big distances??
Have any of my fellow forum members found a rod perfect for what Im looking for, ideally one in current production, as Ive had a couple of bad experiences with buying used rods off a well know auction site.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

BigMac

Lancashire
England

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  8:38:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BigMac to your friends list  Quote this Post
Have you looked at a TriCast Legend 3500? I use one for fishing in Ireland. The guys I fish with use the dutch master and it can punch a 40 - 60 gram feeder plus contents 60 yards comfortably.

Go to Top of Page

Big Blue
Life Member

Site Supporter

Staffordshire
England

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  8:47:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Big Blue to your friends list  Quote this Post
Didn't like the look of the Balzer rods?

Go to Top of Page

davidk

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  10:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add davidk to your friends list  Quote this Post
its more I need a rod with a soft quiver, 1 oz, to show the roach bites, and softish action as the roach come off very easily but also the rod needs the backbone to cast the distances

Go to Top of Page

nutmeg
Life Member

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  10:27:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list  Quote this Post
Daiwa amorphous whisker 11 - 13 ft stillwater feeder, old but still probably one of the best bream rods ever made. not coming up for sale that often these days but still worth trying to get hold of one.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

richard83
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  10:33:07 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add richard83 to your friends list  Quote this Post
At distance maybe try a helicopter rig, self hooking and no need for such a light tip, hitting finicky roach bites at distance will be hard, I think self hooking is the way to go

Go to Top of Page

Sam Vimes
Life Member

North Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 18 March 2013 :  10:45:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sam Vimes to your friends list  Quote this Post
David,
I suspect that a Shimano Aerocast Feeder might have fitted the bill very nicely, especially if you are talking about stillwater fishing. The snag being that they are discontinued.

Though it is second hand, at least it's local enough for you to have a look, if he still has it. Might be worth trying this fella.
http://talkangling.co.uk/fishing/ta...der-rod.html

The medium is rated to cast up to 3.5 oz. It has three full length tip sections. Although they don't have a rating, as such, if they follow the rest of the Shimano range, they'll be 1, 2 and 3oz.

Go to Top of Page

fisha_chuck
Life Member

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  12:36:38 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fisha_chuck to your friends list  Quote this Post
Daiwa airity

Go to Top of Page

totality14
Life Member

South Yorkshire
England

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  07:31:00 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add totality14 to your friends list  Quote this Post
As said daiwa amw or matchlite 11/13. I've got a matchlite and with the 1oz tip it's ideal.
Also even rarer a terry smith crown prince or Scandinavian.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

shish0000
Life Member

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  11:08:16 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shish0000 to your friends list  Quote this Post
Defo go self hooking for roach at distance. Most speccy roach fisherman I've seen when fishing at distance go for scaled down carp tactics

Go to Top of Page

breambreambream
Life Member

Gt. London
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  11:42:39 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add breambreambream to your friends list  Quote this Post
Hardy Marksman 13' Heavy Feeder .. Fosters did have a special going on them think 150 per rod .. I bought mine exactly for the reasons you mention long range bream and tench - have only used it twice but is does all that is asked of it and nice action when landing bream .. I only fish braid at distance which is really unforgiving but had no problems.

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

andyburrows
Life Member

Merseyside
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andyburrows to your friends list  Quote this Post
i use a daiwa spectron 12/13 feeder and can chuck 70/80 yards all day with a feeder and double hook set up with a 4000 procaster braid and a 6lb shockleader i also use the same rod for method feeder fishing at range for bream and carp and with the same reel as stated and 6lb drag line straight through can chuck 90 turns plus

Go to Top of Page

Big-Bronze
Life Member

Gloucestershire

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Big-Bronze to your friends list  Quote this Post
daiwa spectron 11/13 feeder can be fitted with a Extension to make it 15ft with a Daiwa FRX1

can chuck a open end feeder 70/80 yards with this rod @ 13ft

rod are just 150 now was 260 http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/daiwa/da...2-leger-rods

Edited by - Big-Bronze on 19 March 2013 5:52:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Stick floater

Somerset

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  5:55:39 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stick floater to your friends list  Quote this Post
I use a Browning 13ft King Feeder All Season. Casts 100gram, but with a lovely playing action. I pair it with a Shimano 4000 DL FA and 20lb whiplash braid. Don't use a leader, just play fish softly.
Perfect for Bream etc on the Huntspil.

Spare tips are a bit of a problem to get, but I acquired some spares from First for Fishing on 01405818277.

Go to Top of Page

PrestonPoleFish
Sir Catch-a-lot

Somerset
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  6:25:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PrestonPoleFish to your friends list  Quote this Post
I would go for the Preston Dutchmaster 13'6 but the I have seen Tom Pickering using the 11ft/13ft C-Tech for lake bream at 60m to 80m in a video and it is also much cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

davidk

Durham
United Kingdom

Posted - 19 March 2013 :  7:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit davidk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add davidk to your friends list  Quote this Post
yes read via goggle translate, a Russian I think, forum regarding prestons c tech 11/13 and they seemed to be singing its virtues. Am tempted by this rod as the option of the 11ft is always useful. It does state though it has a through action, I've found in the past to soft a rod will cause loss of accuracy/distance. The spectron is a tempter, maybe prestons 12 6 dutchmaster method. hmmmmm

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.11 seconds.