The Maggotdrowners Forum - Maver Drift Floats
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Maver Drift Floats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Cresswell
Life Member

Posted - 20 February 2012 :  6:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Cresswell's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add Paul Cresswell to your friends list  Quote this Post
These are not floats that everyone should carry but on the right venue they are outstanding. My mate and me have been using them all winter on our winter league. Our venue is Rosedale, in Hunmanby, North Yorkshire and it features the following on the pegs we use in winter.

Every peg bar one at 13m is at least 10 foot deep. Some at 7 meters are 15 foot deep and get deeper. Its a decent expanse of water and being near the North Sea coast there is a lot of wind.

An on the deck swim is often required and a decent float that can sit well in the water, not get affected by tow, where you can put some line on the deck sometimes and retain some sensitivity (as we are fishing for roach skimmers and perch) is required.

This float in sizes 1g and 1.5g is perfect. We used to use Drennan Trios in sizes 1.5g and 2g, but these are better and you can get away with a smaller size. The top is very long (float is about 45cm in total) so as your olivette settles to the body, 3 number 10 shot tend to take the float down steadily. Spotting bites where the bait has been intercepted are easy, lift bites are also common. Its easy to work the bait as lifting the tip only is 20cm lift and you then watch it settle again, great with worm and perch. In a lot of wind a backshot creates a stable set up.

A 25cm winder can store these as the tip detaches for storage. They are not cheap at 3.50 each, but are well made. Only downside is that the paint on the tip tends to come off, but most of the time I fit a black silicone sleeve over it as there are a lot of white backgrounds.

It is the perfect float for the venue. I guess I won't use it anywhere else I fish (perhaps one venue if it was very very windy), and some people would never use it. They make varying sizes but I guess anywhere with less than 8ft depth they would not be required.

http://www.mavermatch.co.uk/index.p...&category=65
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.07 seconds.