The Maggotdrowners Forum - Preparing Dead Maggots
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Bait Talk
 Preparing Dead Maggots
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt.Newark
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 June 2011 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Matt.Newark to your friends list  Quote this Post
So, what is the best way to prepare dead maggots?

Is it boiling/scalding them? I have heard that they float if you do this?

Or what about freezing them? People tell me that they come alive again when thawed, and are not dead at all.

How do you do yours, ensuring they are actually dead, and sink?

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Steph McKenzie

Staffordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 June 2011 :  10:59:08 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steph McKenzie to your friends list  Quote this Post
One of the best ways is to Put some cold water either from a Tap or the Lake you're fishing in to a Bait Box, juat about quarter full, then pour in some maggots, not to many, now start to add boiling water to them a bit at a time until they stop moving about. Instant Dead Maggots and they don't go all thin and stringy looking.

I also put them in to a freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as possible and then seal the bag, leave them in the freezer for at least 48 hours, i have never had any come back alive on me.

If you want just a quick way so you can use them on the hook you can just rub them between your hands, they go in to some sort of stasis, it doesn't kill them but they appear lifeless and as they're on the hook you wouldn't leave them out there for hours anyway.

Here's a handy link from Steve Ringer on Using and preparing Dead Maggots ......

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-...on-the-pole/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.05 seconds.