The Maggotdrowners Forum - Drennan Red Range
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Drennan Red Range
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2011 :  1:51:48 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MartynRedfern to your friends list  Quote this Post
Just picked up a Drennan Red Range 11ft Carp Feeder rod. 50!!! I have to say this is the best 50 feeder rod I have ever seen, smooth progressive blank, very responsive, light etc etc. I bought this as a second feeder rod for occasional use, hence did not want to spend over the odds but have to say I am very impressed. There have been savings made, for example the rod bag is poo and you only get 2 tips but agree that the compromise is good to get such a rod for 50. Well done Drennan. highly recommended.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

rourke7719
Big Stu

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 08 February 2011 :  7:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit rourke7719's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add rourke7719 to your friends list  Quote this Post
Have you actually used it Martyn or is your review based on first impressions?

Go to Top of Page

floatfisher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 08 February 2011 :  8:03:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floatfisher to your friends list  Quote this Post
I've recently bought the 11ft Red range pellet waggler rod and the progressive action, finish and quality of fittings is excellent considering it only cost 50 quid. Haven't had a chance to use it on the bank yet but it seems a very well made piece of kit. I didn't think Drennan would be able to produce a range that undercut the prices of the series 7 and maintained the quality but it appears they have.

Proud to be a grandad!
Go to Top of Page

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 09 February 2011 :  1:26:17 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list  Quote this Post
Yes I have used the rod. I have the series 7 11ft carp feeder rod as well and the blank feels very similar.

Go to Top of Page

Genus9
Life Member

Northamptonshire

Posted - 10 February 2011 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Genus9 to your friends list  Quote this Post
They've also bought out a matching Red Range reel that's the same colour as the rod which has 2 shallow spools and sells for 19.99.
Decent little reel for the money.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 10 February 2011 :  12:58:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list  Quote this Post
would be interested to know what the red reel is like. I have the series 7 reels and for 35 they were great value, very smooth. Drennan really do seem to be plugging that hole between the high end and the bottom range.

Go to Top of Page

tazz
Life Member

Midlands West
England

Posted - 10 February 2011 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit tazz's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add tazz to your friends list  Quote this Post
The red series reel looks a decent bit of kit.

Go to Top of Page

lp1886
Life Member

Leicestershire
England

Posted - 10 February 2011 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lp1886 to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :
The red series reel looks a decent bit of kit.

No prizes for guessing what colour it is...!

Go to Top of Page

Genus9
Life Member

Northamptonshire

Posted - 11 February 2011 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Genus9 to your friends list  Quote this Post
It's erm..................................................now what colour is it..............................................................oh yeah.......................................................red.

They do a feeder version and a float jobbie and both feel smooth running and are very light,

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

MartynRedfern
Another bad draw

Suffolk
United Kingdom

Posted - 14 February 2011 :  1:29:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartynRedfern to your friends list  Quote this Post
Does that mean if you dropped the reel in the water, fish could not see it????

Go to Top of Page

fishcatcher4
Life Member

South Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 15 February 2011 :  4:34:38 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fishcatcher4 to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :
Originally posted by MartynRedfern

Does that mean if you dropped the reel in the water, fish could not see it????

pmsl

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Fishnets
Life Member

Oxfordshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 17 February 2011 :  6:16:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fishnets to your friends list  Quote this Post
Don't think you can fault the red range for value for money, had a good look at some in the tackle shop that had just come in. They might have less frills with them (tips, bags etc..), but if they perform like the series 7 rods for the money (relatively) they will be a big hit. Have they just changed the cosmetics to bring the price down a little to keep selling in tough times.
Be good to get some reports in when people have used them for a bit

Go to Top of Page

adzinderbyshire
Life Member

Posted - 19 February 2011 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit adzinderbyshire's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add adzinderbyshire to your friends list  Quote this Post
I've got the red range feeder reel and I'm really impressed, I'm a front drag fan but the drag is very smooth and very adjustable on the drennan. Nice to get something quality and fit for purpose at a price you'd usually get tat for.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

bigbilly
Life Member

Norfolk
England

Posted - 20 February 2011 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigbilly's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bigbilly to your friends list  Quote this Post
Do the tips for the Red range feeder rods fit the Series 7 range ?

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Dont call me Sh

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 22 February 2011 :  10:03:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dont call me Sh to your friends list  Quote this Post
Yes the tips from red range do fit Series 7

Go to Top of Page

dstev
Dave

Site Supporter

Derbyshire
United Kingdom

(Used to)Live, breathe and sleep fishing.

Posted - 23 February 2011 :  04:09:52 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dstev to your friends list  Quote this Post
I went to the tackle shop yesterday with the aim to test and possibly buy a new top of the range match rod. After trying a few I was most impressed by the Drennan IM9 Float rods, well that was until I picked up the Drennan Red Carp Waggler! The action of this 50 pound rod is near identical to the 160 pound IM9. It had a fairly fast tip and didn't lose its shape at all. It really wasn't a rod that justified a 110 pound drop in price. I was that impressed that the 12ft version has just become my new stillwaters match rod!

Well done Drennan, you really do make fantastic rods.

Edited by - dstev on 23 February 2011 06:44:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

bigbilly
Life Member

Norfolk
England

Posted - 23 February 2011 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigbilly's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add bigbilly to your friends list  Quote this Post
quote :
Originally posted by Dont call me Sh

Yes the tips from red range do fit Series 7

Thanks very much.

I already have 2 Series 7 'puddle chuckers', a pellet waggler and a feeder but was thinking of getting a Red feeder rod based on all the good reports I have read and sharing the tips would be useful.

The Drennan Red feeder reel is first class for 19.99 !

Bill

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mastic
The Method Man

Lancashire
United Kingdom

Posted - 23 February 2011 :  10:05:42 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mastic to your friends list  Quote this Post
Just bought the feeder reel online this minute after seeing it in an advertisment in IYCF. Checked on here for a review and saw some good feedback so bought my 1st feeder reel. Really like the idea of 100m spools as i always struggle getting the right amount of line and end up buying 1000m spools of line.

Go to Top of Page

Matt.Newark
Life Member

Nottinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 21 March 2011 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Matt.Newark to your friends list  Quote this Post
Would I be better off with a Puddle Chucker 12ft Carp Wag or one from the Red range?

Go to Top of Page

john.davies

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  7:05:03 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add john.davies to your friends list  Quote this Post
ive got two red range feeder reels and have to say for the money they are exelent.the spools are brilliant and the little pegs with the line rating on are a godsend especialy as i have four spools. my friend bought the red range float reel and thaat too is a very good reel i would definateley recomend either reel.

Go to Top of Page

floatfisher
Life Member

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  11:21:33 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floatfisher to your friends list  Quote this Post
I bought the red 10ft feeder rod yesterday and gave it a workout today on a local commercial pool. The rod has a very nice action, stiff enough in the butt for me to accurately chuck a 25gram cage feeder full of meat about 35 yards, in a near gale force head wind, to the edge of a bed of lilies, but soft enough to absorb the lunges of a dozen hard fighting mirror carp plus a large hybrid. The tips blend in smoothly with the blank and I didn't experience a single hookpull throughout the session. Everything about the rod, eyes, handle, reelfitting and overall finish seem to be top quality. For a penny under fifty quid this rod represents real value for money. I think Drennan have another winner on their hands with this one.

Proud to be a grandad!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.12 seconds.