The Maggotdrowners Forum - F1 Fish
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 F1 Fish
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

johnpetra

East Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit johnpetra's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add johnpetra to your friends list
Hi! All My question is Can Anyone Please tell me or explain to me what is meant by the term F1 fish.
Many Thanks John

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

ronb
Life Member

Essex
England

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ronb's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add ronb to your friends list
Hi,any first cross to make a hybrid is called the 1st fillial generation (F1 for short)and the F1 in fish is a cross between a crucian and a carp-hope this helps-Ron

Go to Top of Page

groundhog
Life Survivor

Shropshire
England

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  12:05:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit groundhog's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add groundhog to your friends list
John F1 fish, or F 1's as they are more commonly known are usually Carp hybrids mate.

Go to Top of Page

phil-k
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  12:06:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phil-k to your friends list
F1 Hybrid Carp 'an unusual cross between a Crucian and a Mirror with sizes up to 4lbs.'

Go to Top of Page

phil-k
Life Member

Gt.Manchester
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  12:07:29 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phil-k to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by phil-k

F1 Hybrid Carp 'an unusual cross between a Crucian and a Mirror with sizes up to 4lbs.'

It is a genetically modified fish.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

adam_f
Life Member

Shropshire
England

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit adam_f's Homepage  Click to see adam_f's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add adam_f to your friends list
quote :

a f1 is actually a crucian carp crossed with a common carp. this is why f1 carp are all fully scaled like a common carp. they also have no barbels under the mouth

Go to Top of Page

kleinboet
Life Member

Site Supporter

Gloucestershire
England

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  5:52:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kleinboet to your friends list
Can someone please enlighten me on F2s?

Fishing is natures medical prescription
Go to Top of Page

sladey
Life Member

Midlands West
England

Posted - 24 April 2007 :  7:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit sladey's Homepage  Click to see sladey's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add sladey to your friends list
f2's are the new strain what are designed to grow to bigger sizes

Go to Top of Page

leejmar
Life Member

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  4:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit leejmar's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add leejmar to your friends list
i also heard these F1 are not ment to spawn yet on a resent visit to a water which have these F1, a number of them was full of spawn.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

brasem
Wear Champ 2011

Durham
England

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brasem to your friends list
Always thought f1's were a cross between a crucian and a brown goldfish, although there are probably several different crosses.

Go to Top of Page

nickwhite26
Whitehawk

Yorkshire
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  5:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit nickwhite26's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nickwhite26 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by leejmar

i also heard these F1 are not ment to spawn yet on a resent visit to a water which have these F1, a number of them was full of spawn.

Now someone correct me if i'm wrong, but all (or most) F1's are female, so they will spawn, so I don't think that (obviuosly) other F1's can't fertilise the eggs

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

adam_f
Life Member

Shropshire
England

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  6:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit adam_f's Homepage  Click to see adam_f's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add adam_f to your friends list
f1 carp lay eggs normal carp fertilise them = F2 carp its not that easy but its the easy way to explain.
f2 grow quicker and are more resistant to disease than normal carp.

Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
A F1 carp is a cross between a king carp(common) and a brown goldfish

They can be very delacate feeders and it is not as easy as you think to put together a big net of them.

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 25 April 2007 6:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

Rolfs Lake 200+ Club Member.

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  7:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
Sorry Nick but I believe that you're wrong in this case.
F1's were originally created by Simon Hughes, the owner of Riverfield Fish Farm and Monk Lakes.
They are the result of a cross between a female Mirror Carp and a male Crucian Carp.

You can find a copy of an article about them HERE.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Read 'My Fishing Diaries'
Go to Top of Page

nick_gilbert
NG Floats

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  8:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit nick_gilbert's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add nick_gilbert to your friends list
Ops, I must have been told wrong!

Is that a old write up as it says they are likely to be between 12oz & 2lb

Float Store for Hand Made & Commercial XT Pole Floats, Wagglers, Silicone, Line and now Hollow Pole Elastic

Edited by - nick_gilbert on 25 April 2007 8:19:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarryC
Life Member

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  10:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BarryC's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add BarryC to your friends list
What was the reason for F1s in the first place! Surely straight commons would grow bigger, faster and breed naturaly. Is it a dissease thing or what!

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  10:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
No Barry,
really a way of controlling stocking levels, without ending up with a pool full of tackle smashers. Also they are supposed to feed pretty much year round thus offering consistent sport.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

matt
Life Member

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  10:42:24 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matt to your friends list
As Peter said, F1s were created to be the ideal match fish and a cross between a common and a crucian.

The F2s are little mirrors, but with a supposed accelerated growth rate

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  10:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
This is a classic F1 carp.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Go to Top of Page

matt
Life Member

Buckinghamshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  10:55:34 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matt to your friends list
Lovely looking fish

Best caught on paste up in the water

Go to Top of Page

Peter
'Mugger'

Site Supporter

Gt. London
England

My Photo Album

Posted - 25 April 2007 :  11:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Peter to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by phil-k

It is a genetically modified fish.

Phil-k,
It is NOT a genetically modified fish, just the result of selective breeding.

Rolf's Lake 200+ Club
Jinx Squad 2005-2012
Jinx 2 Day Winner 2012

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.07 seconds.