The Maggotdrowners Forum - First post, and a day at Docklow Pools.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Where You Fished Today
 First post, and a day at Docklow Pools.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JasonUK

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  9:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit JasonUK's Homepage Bookmark this topic Add JasonUK to your friends list
First of all greetings to everyone on the site. Been thinking of posting here for quite some time but never really had anything interesting to say. Thank you all for all the tips, locations, pictures of fish and everything else.

I have only recently started going fishing again after a 5-6 year gap. Now it seems i once again have the bug!. Today was my third trip to docklow since the end of the fast, it being my local commercial. Although this will soon change as i am moving up "t'north" in a few weeks time to Linconshire.

Anyway, on friday i thought to myself that i fancied a spot of fishing, since it would be one of my last chances to go to docklow for quite some time, also it gives me an excuse to post on these here forums. So out i went to pick up a few bits of kit from my local fishing shop that got lost in my break from fishing. Hair needle, line, hooks ect. But i also thought i would try something completely new to myself and bought some liquid tuna. Ended up getting the tip of the graphite quivertip from my Abu legacy feeder rod repaired along with my old Abu Enticer Match rod avon tip.

Made some mashed bread for groundbait also for the first time (since groundbait is not allowed at docklow, im pretty sure bread mash is however.), mixing in some sweetcorn, liquid tuna and some cumin. It came out pretty sloppy but the fish went wild for it!.

So with my Tin of Spam chopped, sweetcorn defrosted and bread in a bag i set off to Docklow for 8am. Setup on the Moby dick pond just off the central island on the west bank with my feeder rod. Knowing there are decent size carp in the pond i tried 3 kernels of sweetcorn on the hair for 2-3 hours. This resulted in nothing but foul hooked skimmer breem. So decided to switch over to the match rod and float, since i fancied trying out my old budget rod. Got a half decent size roach on bread punch (another new technique for me). But after an hour or so i longed to be back on the ledger, so switched over to the ledger rig. This time abandoning the corn in favour of good old meat cubes, but with a small helping of liquid tuna. By 1pm i had my first decent sized carp, having to guess at weights since i have no scales to my name :( 9-10lb common. I was pretty pleased with the fish since the fish from my last two trips were all under 4-5 lbs. And even before my break i had only really ever had one decent size fish.

Happy that the match rod was fixed and working i switched back to the feeder rod since i really wanted a decent size fish on this rod too. And i wasn't dissapointed, around 3 pm the tip banged to the right and i was in. The fish put up a brilliant fight, my arm was aching after that.

Now, lets see if i can put pictures in.

If that worked hopefully you will be able to see the blurry picture of the lunker of a common that i pulled in. No idea on weight, but im 100% sure its a PB for me. (not really hard to beat). I would guess at 15-18 lbs possibly more possibly less, im no good at guessing weights past about 10lbs. Now apologies about the picture, by this fish i had realised that i could take a picture of the fish with my phone (the wonder of technology). But i was in a rush to get it back in the water so took a hurried picture.

Then at around 5:30 on my supposed "last cast" I hooked into a fish that i thought to be a small carp... how wrong i was. It felt like something i could just reel in to start with, then it got closer to the surface, turned and bolted. Stripping a good 25 ft of line from my reel. This carried on for about 30 mins and 4 attempts to net it each time it got close it turned and bolted. Was the toughest fight i have had.

And hopefully, there it is. Once again not sure on weight, not even sure if the common was bigger or smaller. Anyone hazard a guess?. For Scale the Unhooking mat is 95 cm by 46 cm.

Anyway, that was my day. I hope someone finds this interesting and not boring as i suspect ;)

oh, and here is the picture of the swim in all its grainy goodness.

Edited by - JasonUK on 27 September 2009 9:39:17 PM

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  9:40:27 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list
sorted dude diamond day

welcome to the looney bin, lots a lads on here live and fish the shire of lincoln, your gonna be in good company

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
www.hillbillyfloats.co.uk
www.marukyu.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

JasonUK

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  9:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JasonUK's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add JasonUK to your friends list
Brilliant, yeah, noticed a lot of people from Linconshire area here. Another reason for posting before i get there meself.

Thought i might add, that all the fish were caught on 5lb mainline and a 3 lb hooklength. I was pretty pleased with myself for getting these in! , Only had one snapoff at the hook today, fish bolted straight for the bank and i applied too much preasure to it trying to stop it. Really enjoyed fishing light!.

Go to Top of Page

keith74
THFC

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

md,s 4 aside winners 2011 with simple, pole addict

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  10:12:05 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add keith74 to your friends list
great report and pics mate. and welcome to the site. looks like you had a cracking day. not trying to pizz on your bonfire mate but i would say that common is 9 or 10lb tops. may be well off but just my honest opinion. still a lovely fish though mate. as i say this is not a dig i,d also say the mirror is 6 or 7lb

I've fished more matches than he's played MD,S 4 A SIDE WINNERS 2011......................................... NEW BEST MATCH WEIGHT 179LB 12OZ OCT 2011

new best 353lb arrans lake 3rd aug 2013

Edited by - keith74 on 27 September 2009 10:14:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

JasonUK

United Kingdom

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  10:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JasonUK's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add JasonUK to your friends list
You could well be right Keith, fish tend to grow when looked at through the eyes of the one whos catching he did feel a good 7kgs, although my arms were aching

I will have to invest in a weigh sling and scales when possible. And remember to bring a better camera!.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

mickthechippy
space cadet

Site Supporter

Kent
United Kingdom

ON STRIKE !!!!

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  10:37:10 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickthechippy to your friends list
you brute Kieth, p!ss on the old boys day diplomatically or not,

he's buzzing like a bee on jam and you gotta broadside him

I must admit to a tad of feeding the weight myself, if it was that big it always grows bigger

dont you take no notice of him Jason, he' jealous, they dont call him Minnowman for nobbut

what he calls a landing net, everyone else KNOWS is a pole sock

why are the next pegs to me vacant?
www.hillbillyfloats.co.uk
www.marukyu.co.uk

Edited by - mickthechippy on 27 September 2009 10:38:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

keith74
THFC

Site Supporter

Hertfordshire

md,s 4 aside winners 2011 with simple, pole addict

Posted - 27 September 2009 :  10:45:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add keith74 to your friends list
quote :
[i]Originally posted by mickthechippy

dont you take no notice of him Jason, he' jealous, they dont call him Minnowman for nobbut

what he calls a landing net, everyone else KNOWS is a pole sock

I've fished more matches than he's played MD,S 4 A SIDE WINNERS 2011......................................... NEW BEST MATCH WEIGHT 179LB 12OZ OCT 2011

new best 353lb arrans lake 3rd aug 2013

Edited by - keith74 on 27 September 2009 10:54:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

andyfp
Account Locked

Durham

Posted - 28 September 2009 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andyfp to your friends list
Nice fish mate, nice to see an unhooking mat in use
Welcome to the site. There's some excelent waters in Lincs mate, where are you moving to if you dont mind

Edited by - andyfp on 28 September 2009 08:40:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

JasonUK

United Kingdom

Posted - 28 September 2009 :  1:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit JasonUK's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add JasonUK to your friends list
Moving up to S****horpe. The main pain in the ass i will have, is the fact that i don't yet drive a car. So im pretty limited in where i can go.

I'm looking to join the S****horpe police angling club that someone on here suggested. They seem to have a nice selection of waters, and i really want to get on the Trent for some nice barbel.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

andyfp
Account Locked

Durham

Posted - 28 September 2009 :  2:03:40 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add andyfp to your friends list
I'm a member there mate, cracking waters and they are adding waters all the time

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.3 seconds.