The Maggotdrowners Forum - Pole fishing in windy conditions
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Fishing
 Fishing Talk
 Pole fishing in windy conditions
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichTaylor
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  3:07:59 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RichTaylor to your friends list
I'm after some advice on how to keep the pole float still in windy conditions. I have had a few matches recently and in the recent wind have struggled to hold bottom.

Tips & advice would be apreciated.

I have been using 4x18 preston yellow body down floats but still struggling. I assume the floats are not heavy enough.

Cheers chaps

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

fishdogmick
catch alot

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishdogmick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishdogmick to your friends list
hi presuming you are fishing in about 5to 6ft of water the float should be heavy enough what you need is some back shot placed between float and pole .a couple of 8s at least ,dont be afraid to put more on .

http://kizzyenglishbullterrier.com/.
Go to Top of Page

RichTaylor
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RichTaylor to your friends list
Yes sorry 5 to 6ft of water. It just seams that there is too much tow and the float drifts. Is this normal.

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  3:29:20 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
use a body up design. this is normal.

Go to Top of Page

hemphead2
hemphead2

Kent
United Kingdom

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hemphead2 to your friends list
go on the feeder,not worth risking your pole sections if to windy

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

biggs
Life Member

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit biggs's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add biggs to your friends list
big backshot half way between float and pole tip, around an AA and hold onto that.

usually find you can get away with a lighter rig as well.

Go to Top of Page

andy phelps
head banger

Germany

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Send andy phelps an ICQ Message  Click to see andy phelps's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this reply Add andy phelps to your friends list
use a back shot and keep the pole tip under the water. or try fishing overdepth with most of the weight near the hooklength

Go to Top of Page

matchstickman25
it remains hidden

West Yorkshire

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  5:37:35 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matchstickman25 to your friends list
dont use a body up float if its wavy, just for the tow i mean

Go to Top of Page

Genus9
Life Member

Northamptonshire

Posted - 02 September 2009 :  8:11:37 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Genus9 to your friends list
I find the easiest way to keep the rig still in windy conditions is to increase the length of line between the tip of the pole and the float,

Depending on the wind I add more line to the rig via 2 loops,

This way if the pole is being blown around the float will stay still,

In still conditions I'll have about a foot of line between pole and float but will add up to 3ft of line if the wind gets up.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

RichTaylor
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 September 2009 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RichTaylor to your friends list
The last match that i fished was extreamly windy and there was alot of tow. I was using a 4x16 body down float and fishing over depth by about 6". I had a No4 as a back shot with 12" between float and pole and i stilled struggled to hold still. Based on this info was anything wrong with my set up?

Go to Top of Page

Anglingman
Mr Ginster

Site Supporter

Kent
England

Posted - 03 September 2009 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anglingman's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Anglingman to your friends list
My approach to the conditions you suggest is "chain anchor" style:

1) Fish overdepth and string out No. 8 shot along the bottom.
2) Increase the length of line between pole tip and float
3) back shot, 1 x no 8 just above the float eye roughly in line with the bristle, then a larger shot (4 or 6 or group of No 8's)halfway between pole tip and float.

This can affect bite detection but presentation can be good.

If it gets much worse then either step every up or use feeder/bomb
hope this helps

http://www.rgfishing.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

fishdogmick
catch alot

Site Supporter

Lancashire
England

Posted - 03 September 2009 :  11:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit fishdogmick's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fishdogmick to your friends list
r. taylor you did not have enough line between float and pole at least 2 ft ,lay up to a float length on the deck,put a string of nu8 (3)along the length or try one nu8 about 4inchs from float,and a big shot aa or simalar ,also try next size of float up as well .

http://kizzyenglishbullterrier.com/.
Go to Top of Page

Neil ofthe nene
Life Member

Site Supporter

Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 03 September 2009 :  12:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Neil ofthe nene's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Neil ofthe nene to your friends list
If combatting tow then be prepared to lay 6-9 inches of line on the deck with the No.8s as mentioned.

Even in calm conditions I have known a lake where you couldn't get a bite unless you were 18 inches overdepth.

Average club angler who seems to get the right methods sorted halfway through a match, just in time to say "if only"

http://neilofthenene.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

RichTaylor
Life Member

Lincolnshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 06 September 2009 :  2:11:18 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RichTaylor to your friends list
Cheers guy's,

Big help thanks.

Go to Top of Page

midge99
Life Member

Site Supporter

South Yorkshire
Madagascar

Just ploding along

Posted - 06 September 2009 :  2:31:57 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add midge99 to your friends list
whats wrong with the waggler, thats what I normally do unless fishing to a feature

L.T.B Lying Thieving B@5t4./

www.tnfloats.net

have wheels will go fishing
Go to Top of Page

fozzybee

Cheshire
United Kingdom

Posted - 07 September 2009 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fozzybee's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add fozzybee to your friends list
use a length of leadcore that the carpers use. put this on your rig directly above your float to the loop where it connets to your elastic connector. the weight of the leadcore will keep the line firm but will not affect your bait presetation. hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 1.03 seconds.