The Maggotdrowners Forum - Ultima Power Steel.
The Maggotdrowners Forum
  Maggotdrowning.com
Username: Password: Save Password
    GENERAL TOOLS:  Home Page | Register | MaggotMail | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Calendar | Classifieds | Contact us | Advertise | MD's TV
    MEMBER TOOLS:    Log In or Click Here to Register and access these tools.   |   Forgot your Username and/or Password?

All Forums
 Tackle and Baits
 Tackle Reviews
 Ultima Power Steel.
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crowder
On Probation :)

United Kingdom

Posted - 05 July 2009 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see crowder's MSN Messenger address Bookmark this topic Add crowder to your friends list
Well, got to say im very very dissapointed with this.

first of all,

What is the point in stating that a line is 4lb breaking strain, when it quite clearly breaks at 8-10lb? not only this, but the diamater of it is noway near your bog standard 4lb line. i think i will just stick to 8lb low diamater line in future rather than 4lb Power steel.

bought some last week for my reel, cost me about a fiver for a spool sized pack of it, loaded it on the same as i do with all of my reels, when i came to use it i found it to be kinked very badly, the line itself wouldnt go through the eye of a size 16 hook, the line became incredibly weak once a few fish were caught and it continued the kink, in particular in the last 6 inches of the hooklength, and not to mention the stupid Bows that formed off the reel itself which were sorted by simply pu;lling on the line and straightening them back up.

Overall

10/10 for Strength

1/10 for everything else, very dissapointed and think i will stick to maxima.

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

nrayner
dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 05 July 2009 :  10:56:06 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Welcome to the world of poo line

Yesterday I set up for a breaming session with 4lb Maxima on the spool that had been used ONCE. Before sorting out the terminal rig I thought I'd test it. Oh dearie, dearie me. What a total surprise.........not! The line snapped like cotton all the way through.

Set up another spool.......hmmmmmm....what was it this time.......oh yes...Power Steel. Now that's the line absolutely everyone (in the Marketing Industry) is absolutely RAVING about. 5lb...never used, spooled up a month ago. Oh dear I would never have guessed it, .....snapped like cotton.

WTF IS GOING ON WITH LINE?

N Rayner
Go to Top of Page

adzinderbyshire
Life Member

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  8:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit adzinderbyshire's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add adzinderbyshire to your friends list
preston direct mono has similar properties but is generally better.

Go to Top of Page

mav617
Life Member

Cheshire
England

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  9:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit mav617's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add mav617 to your friends list
Not good for me, just had a spool of Powersteel drop through the letterbox! Wish I'd read this first...

Go to Top of Page

nrayner
dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 06 July 2009 :  10:31:01 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Yes it usually is, but even that failed me 11 days ago in Holland. Winding in a bream SNAP. Checked the line. used around 20 sessions......cotton, all the way down to unused sections..

Bought a spool of 5lb Direct Mono from the tackle shop in Hellevoetsluis. . Caught 14 bream on it, then as I was winding in with no fish on..........SNAP. Checked the line... cotton. Used once 14 Bream..... instantaneously turned to cotton

As I say, wtf is going on with line?

N Rayner
Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 08 July 2009 :  2:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
Right i feel the need to defend Ultima on this one;

I have been trying out this power steel line in various breaking stains. This line is not been designed to be compared in the way that crowder has with others on the market, I.e diameter, Strength etc, etc. Its a new concept of mono line that Ultima have developed as an alternative to braid, ie a very strong line with very low Stretch in it. Maxima is the total oppersite of this its prob the most Stretchy line on the market.

Ive been using this for a lot of my long distance work and i think its not with out its faults (but nether is braid) if you do any long distance feeder fishing where you need to see every last movement on your tip then this line is worth a bash, am i going to buy any more of it? i dont know, its does tend to coil easy but it remains strong but i think ill stick to braid for now untill they refine it further.

As for nrayner comments on maxima ive read on a few topics about your "bad" experiences with "rotting" maxima but you still seem to buy it??? every one can buy original maxima with confidence its tryed and tested been used by the best back in the day and still is now, for nine out of ten commershall bagging sessions maxima is the best line you can get your mits on! Ask your local star, i'll bet he uses it!

Go to Top of Page

nrayner
dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 09 July 2009 :  12:56:13 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Yes I bought a 300m spool a round 3 months ago as it was in a new-style packaging so it seemed as though it may have had a makeover. Sadly, however, it has not and is still as awful as it used to be.

Just last night I sat down and tested another reel spool with line from the same 4lb Maxima purchase. I gave it little tugs on arm span lengthsand it snapped like cotton all the way to the underlying knot with the backing line, ie right back to totally unused portions of the line. I tried doing this with 4lb Sensor, but that started cutting into my fingers before I could break it.

Bear in mind this is a line in new packaging, only bought three months ago, so is unlikely to be past itís shelf-life. It has been barely used.

This is my experience every time with Maxima in recent years and the evidence of it's unsuitability is plainly there right in front of my eyes

As I said earlier I have had identical experiences with 5lb Power Steel.

All my line is stored in the dark in a cupboard at the back of my garage. After use it is always left out to dry (in the garage) for a few hours, or overnight. Before placing line on a reel I always test it for strength.

N Rayner

Edited by - nrayner on 09 July 2009 10:33:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 09 July 2009 :  5:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
just adding to my post above, what i meant by "for nine out of ten commershall bagging sessions maxima is the best line you can get your mits on!" was rod and line situations not pole sitauations.

Go to Top of Page

dimebag

Posted - 12 July 2009 :  3:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit dimebag's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add dimebag to your friends list
been using awa shima ion power v max on my reels . very low diameter ,0.14mmfor 2.1 kgs .

10/10 for strength
10/10 for everything else

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

pegasus
benny

West Yorkshire
England

Posted - 23 July 2009 :  07:34:40 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pegasus to your friends list
cant beat NOVATECH.

Go to Top of Page

dany0153
Life Member

Staffordshire

Posted - 30 July 2009 :  10:45:00 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dany0153 to your friends list
Hi Guys loaded 4.4lb power steel onto real for feeder fishing approx 6 month ago. Dont know if I have been lucky but I havent had any problems at all with it. the bite detection is great and I have found that as long as you remove the active part of the rig after a session no coils or breaks. Also loaded 6lb for method and same thing no problems, infact i had been realy impressed with its peformance.

dany

Go to Top of Page

Google Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Become a Site Supporter and remove these Adverts - Click Here

Nemesis
AMBER + BLUE

Nottinghamshire
England

Posted - 31 July 2009 :  9:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nemesis's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add Nemesis to your friends list
Buying line is a nightmare.

Different lines have different characteristics so you have to have a "trade off".There is not one line on the market that will do ALL of the things you want as an angler.

Strength
Limpness
Memory
Knot Strength
Abrasion resistance

Lots of people use "stretchy" line because they think it's better for tying knots,i don't think it is,but thats my opinion.

S.E.A or Strain Energy Absorbtion for most of the new lines is about 16% to 22%.

You have too take into account what type of fishing you do and go for the line which matches your style.It's not easy,after several lines i have chosen Antares Silk Shock because i want a low diameter line with strength.It twists a bit after a couple of sessions,but that is the "trade off" i have to put up with.A Spin Doctor sorts it out though.

So pay your money,take your pick and see how you get on.

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 03 August 2009 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list
nrayner, the reason 4lb Maxima (0.18mm ?) seems weaker than 4lb Sensor (0.20mm ?) is that the 4lb Sensor is probably 6lb and the 4lb Maxima ais 4lb. So, nothing like 'like for like'.

Powersteel is NOTHING like braid. It's nylon and stretches. WAY more than any commonly used/available Dyneema based braid. 'not designed to be compared with others on the market- diameter, strength etc'. What ? When comparing lines, of any make made in any material, I am pretty sure that diameter & strength will be high on everyone's list.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

andy_martin
djandymartin

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
United Kingdom

Posted - 04 August 2009 :  7:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit andy_martin's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add andy_martin to your friends list
Sounds like Bream slime has an adverse effect on this stuff!

marukyu.co.uk
twitter.com/andymartin101
Go to Top of Page

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 04 August 2009 :  7:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by richox12

nrayner, the reason 4lb Maxima (0.18mm ?) seems weaker than 4lb Sensor (0.20mm ?) is that the 4lb Sensor is probably 6lb and the 4lb Maxima ais 4lb. So, nothing like 'like for like'.

Powersteel is NOTHING like braid. It's nylon and stretches. WAY more than any commonly used/available Dyneema based braid. 'not designed to be compared with others on the market- diameter, strength etc'. What ? When comparing lines, of any make made in any material, I am pretty sure that diameter & strength will be high on everyone's list.

why do people talk about what they clearly no nothing about???????????? well done you sucessfully picked out a comment from nrayner and spoke rubbish then picked mine and done the same! adding nothing to the furum other than inaccuate information

Maxima is well known to break higher than the stated b/s on the spool (and be thicker too) its been written in the angling press 100's of times, dont belive me get your old mags out or ask a local star. Thats takes care of your comment of "the reason 4lb Maxima (0.18mm ?) seems weaker than 4lb Sensor (0.20mm ?) is that the 4lb Sensor is probably 6lb and the 4lb Maxima ais 4lb." So, nothing like 'like for like'" statement aimed at nrayer. And for your second one aimed at me of "Powersteel is NOTHING like braid." This is what Ulitma said on their web site "It gives the feel of braid but with all the advantages of mono when feeder fishing or fishing at distance" and to back this up this statment is from england international andy may "The first time I used it fishing for bream I couldn't believe it, it was just like fishing with braid but without the disadvantages, it has instant pick-up but sinks much quicker than braid."

In future please refrain from posting rubbish up that you know nothing about its does not help anyone, but it does make you look at tool.

Edited by - daniel121 on 04 August 2009 10:58:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

nrayner
dave

Site Supporter

Hereford & Worcester
England

Posted - 05 August 2009 :  08:05:21 AM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nrayner to your friends list
Had the last of the 4lb Maxima bulk spool that I bought earlier this year fail on me yesterday. BEFORE I HAD EVEN USED IT.

When I spooled it a month or two ago it had all it's strength. When I took the reel out yesterday it snapped like cotton. Unused line. The line had been spooled up, as always with minimal tension so it's nothing to do with that. Showed the tackle shop the result and they were NOT surprised, admitting that they have had to send loads of Maxima back as it was clearly unfit for purpose.

When I have cobtacted Leeda about this they have ignored me.

N Rayner
Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 05 August 2009 :  08:59:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list
daniel121 my post was helpful even if you can't see it. However, yours is totally, unnecessarily rude. Furthermore you are merely regurgitating advertising & marketing speel and not known or proveable facts. Your written 'thoughts' are obviously not your own.

I am pointing out that 4lb Maxima(0.18mm I beleive) albeit a little stronger than 4lb is weaker than 4lb Sensor (0.20mm) because the Sensor is way over 4lb (last time I tested it it was over 6lb on a knot) and way above 4lb Maxima. If you don't have any decent electronic measuring equipment it's a simple test to compare the 2. Tie both together and see which one breaks first. So, to help nrayner compare I am pointing out the differences between the lines so he may be able to make a more accurate comparison should he wish to do so rather than take the spools labels at face value. As they can be misleading.

For Power Steel. It is stretchy. Take 2 feet and place 8 or 10 No 10 or No 8 shot on the middle of it about 1cm apart. Then stretch it between the hands. You will see the gaps between the shot get noticeably bigger. That's STRETCH. Then do the same thing with a comparible braid. The shot don't move. So, that would tell anyone with a brain that the 2 lines are NOT the same.

So, don't believe the advertising and throw it back at someone when you don't actually know the facts yourself otherwise the only tool will be you. Once you've conducted the above tests and found out that I am right an apology would be in order.

Go to Top of Page

Sponsored Advert

Become a
Site Supporter
and remove
this Advert

Advertise here

spamlessuk
Life Member

Hereford & Worcester
United Kingdom

Posted - 06 August 2009 :  6:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit spamlessuk's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add spamlessuk to your friends list
Ultima have splashed their product to every magazine they can find. Whenever there is a free line "giveaway" it is ultima line and the magazine in "payment" for giving away the line gets to write a puff piece about how good it is and how everybody at the magazine now uses it. TCF actually gave away a box of the stuff with their subscriptions, I know I've still got spools of it in the loft!

Don't quote "experts" comments when they have been paid to make that comment, you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

It's called marketing and is designed to sell the product, irrespective of how good that product may actually be.

I fell for the hype and spooled up a number of reels worth. After one season of tangles and break offs I had never used Ultima again, tried the floating wonder stick float line and that was the worst line I have ever used.

Ignore the hype, find a line that suits you and the level of abuse you give your line and stick with it.

Go to Top of Page

daniel121
Life Member

Posted - 06 August 2009 :  9:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit daniel121's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add daniel121 to your friends list
quote :
Originally posted by richox12

daniel121 my post was helpful even if you can't see it. However, yours is totally, unnecessarily rude. Furthermore you are merely regurgitating advertising & marketing speel and not known or proveable facts. Your written 'thoughts' are obviously not your own.

I am pointing out that 4lb Maxima(0.18mm I beleive) albeit a little stronger than 4lb is weaker than 4lb Sensor (0.20mm) because the Sensor is way over 4lb (last time I tested it it was over 6lb on a knot) and way above 4lb Maxima. If you don't have any decent electronic measuring equipment it's a simple test to compare the 2. Tie both together and see which one breaks first. So, to help nrayner compare I am pointing out the differences between the lines so he may be able to make a more accurate comparison should he wish to do so rather than take the spools labels at face value. As they can be misleading.

For Power Steel. It is stretchy. Take 2 feet and place 8 or 10 No 10 or No 8 shot on the middle of it about 1cm apart. Then stretch it between the hands. You will see the gaps between the shot get noticeably bigger. That's STRETCH. Then do the same thing with a comparible braid. The shot don't move. So, that would tell anyone with a brain that the 2 lines are NOT the same.

So, don't believe the advertising and throw it back at someone when you don't actually know the facts yourself otherwise the only tool will be you. Once you've conducted the above tests and found out that I am right an apology would be in order.

You'll be waiting a while! All you'll get is an confession of i have nevr used Daiwa Sensor line in my life or have i tested it. However what i am stateing is correct, maxima is thicker than stated on on the spool and breaks higher, so if Daiwa Sensor does the same as you state??? Well then your comment of "So, nothing like 'like for like'" is incorrect! is it not?

I have been useing power steal for about 1 year 4 months. so my words are my own! i dont use it for waggler fishing anymore, but i do for feeder fishing, i have already said its not with out its faults and i may go back to braid, but to say that its is qoute "nothing like braid" i find insulting and highly misleading. It bloodly is! Granted its got stretch in it, its not braid like i have already said "Its a new concept of mono line that Ultima have developed as an alternative to braid, ie a very strong line with very low Stretch in it."

If anyone goes long distance feeder fishing and would like to try a mono line that will enagble them to see fine bites, this line is worth a try. BUT Its not a rig line and its not meant to be compared with steachy lines like maxima. Even the people that make it say that!

Go to Top of Page

richox12
Life Member

Posted - 07 August 2009 :  09:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit richox12's Homepage Bookmark this reply Add richox12 to your friends list
daniel, 'why do people talk about what they clearly no nothing about????????????'. You need to look at yourself. You clearly haven't got a clue. You've never used or tested Daiwa Sensor and, by the statements you've made, never accurately tested Maxima either. So all you're doing is spouting what you've heard or read and don't actually have any technical knowledge. There are 2 ways to compare these lines for B/S and diameter. Either both in exactly the same diameter (as measureed with a micrometer) and then see what actual B/S they are or test a few of each to find both in exactly the same b/s (not as labelled but ACTUAL B/S) and measure the diameter differences. Then you'll learn that 0.18 Maxima and 0.20 Sensor are very different and nothing like 'like for like'.

Powersteel is a monofilament line. It stretches way more than any braid I know of which is commonly used for Feeder fishing. Therefore it cannot behave like braid as one of the 2 main reasons people use braid is because of its minimilistic stretch which helps transmit movement to the rod top or finger (if you fish on the 'trigger'). Typically Dyneema based braids (and those which are mixtures of Dyneema/nylon/polyester/Kevlar) have stretch in the region of 3% to 5% depending upon the material mix and actual frequency of braiding. Nylon fishing lines are usually within the range 25% to 30% (Maxima is or was greater at around 33/34%). Powersteel is a monofilament line (as is Direct Mono) and stretches way more than a typical braid. So, this information is only misleading to those who fail to understand.

Don't believe all of the advertising & marketing hype or so called 'stars' comments (which are very rarely backed up by any technical expertise) and don't just spout off about stuff which you clearly do not have the first idea about.

If you read posts which are trying to help pass on knowledge, and actually absorb their content, then you might actually learn something which will help your fishing improve.

I didn't ask you to apologise because of your inaccurate post but because you were unnecessarily rude. I will be waiting a while probably because you aren't a man and still need to grow up.

Go to Top of Page

petert
Life Member

Posted - 08 August 2009 :  7:07:08 PM  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add petert to your friends list
I use Berkley Crystal Fire line for all my feeder work tried Power Steel when it was free but i always use Power plus for reel line and Power Match for pole fishing

Edited by - petert on 10 August 2009 11:13:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked  Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Maggotdrowning.com    Contact us    Disclaimer    Donations    Support MDs    MaggotMail Login © Maggotdrowning.com, 2001 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page

Snitz Forums 2000
Display: 0.31 seconds.